Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LDN1622 - The Bogeyman mosaic in mono

swag72

LDN 1622 is located near the galaxy plane in the constellation of Orion. It is close to Barnards loop, a huge cloud that surrounds the emission nebulas found in the Belt and Sword of Orion. It is thought to be much closer to the more famous Orion Nebula, perhaps only 500 light years away.

I have wanted to do this for a long time, but various things have conspired against me (as per usual) and so I have stopped at this point for the year. It's a 6 pane mosaic and has so little data compared to what I would normally use..... But I thought that it stood up as a mono image.

I was looking closely at the 'nose' as the star looked a little smeared, but it was in all the subs and when I looked more closely at some comparable images out there, it's an area of some light nebulosity in Ha it would seem.

** Thanks to Graeme - He has identified the 'smeared' star in the nose as Parsamian 3 - A pre-main-sequence star - You can read about it here ** Oh my goodness - I've taken a scientific picture perhaps!!!! :D 

Details:

Mount: Mesu200
Camera: QSI690 with 3nm Ha Chroma filter

Scope: TMB 152/1200

6 Panes in total with 5x1800s in each pane totalling 15 hours of total exposure.

You can see a larger version on my website 

LDN1622_mono_TMB.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Looks great Sara. Lovely detail.

Thanks Richard - Glad that you like it :) 

3 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Fantastic Sara..another target I didn't even realise was there 

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Very nice, Sara.

Many thanks DP :) 

22 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Very smooth Sara, nicely done! The "nose" is apparently a reflection nebula, catalogued as Parsamian 3 (http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=%40844846&Name=Parsamian 3&submit=submit) - yet another catalogue!! Looks quite a bit bigger on the DSS plates!

Thanks Graeme - Now that is very interesting! I wouldn't have thought that a reflection nebula would have shown up at all in Ha.......... But you've certainly explained the star that isn't round :D  Just reading about it ....... It is the bright Pre-main-sequence star HBC515 ... Need to do some more reading as I have no idea what that actually means!! 

If anyone is interested http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0004-6256/139/4/1668/pdf

Wikipedia is pretty accessible - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-main-sequence_star . Basically, stars in the process of forming, but not necessarily fusing hydrogen, and so they haven't settled down into the main sequence on the Hertzsprung Russell diagram. 

Lots of these things in Orion, which isn't surprising given the amount of star formation in those clouds!

You'll still get HA wavelength from a ref neb - it's a black body radiation source after all, but it just won't appear as bright as in Lum...!

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Colour! We the people demand it!!

Then I guess I don't qualify as "people"!

I think the monochrome version is very atmospheric . Not sure why, but I am reminded of the "demon" in the last segment of the original Fantasia film (Mussorgsky's Night on a Bare Mountain).

13 hours ago, coatesg said:

Wikipedia is pretty accessible - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-main-sequence_star . Basically, stars in the process of forming, but not necessarily fusing hydrogen, and so they haven't settled down into the main sequence on the Hertzsprung Russell diagram. 

Lots of these things in Orion, which isn't surprising given the amount of star formation in those clouds!

You'll still get HA wavelength from a ref neb - it's a black body radiation source after all, but it just won't appear as bright as in Lum...!

Thanks Graeme - I looked about the net to find something that I understood then put something on my website about it :) 

10 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

This is great, very smooth on a not-normally-very-smooth-and-often-irritatingly-noisy target. :icon_mrgreen:

Colour! We the people demand it!!

Olly

Thanks Olly - For only 2.5h data per pane I think it's quite noisy :) I'd have loved more data and made it smoother. Colour you say? Not this year!!!!

4 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Then I guess I don't qualify as "people"!

I think the monochrome version is very atmospheric . Not sure why, but I am reminded of the "demon" in the last segment of the original Fantasia film (Mussorgsky's Night on a Bare Mountain).

I'm not sure about colour either!!! 

Looks great Sara.  I have only seen this target once before in colour, and normally I am not a mono fan, but it definitely works in this target, particularly given it's name.  Also interesting to hear about the "smudged star".

Yippee another Ha target I could do from home (running out), if only I can find the Coordinates.  I have a feeling it is on the opposite side of Barnard's loop to M78.

Really well done, I don't know how you have the patience for Mosaics, but 6 panes - Phew!  

BW

Carole 

8 minutes ago, carastro said:

Looks great Sara.  I have only seen this target once before in colour, and normally I am not a mono fan, but it definitely works in this target, particularly given it's name.  Also interesting to hear about the "smudged star".

Yippee another Ha target I could do from home (running out), if only I can find the Coordinates.  I have a feeling it is on the opposite side of Barnard's loop to M78.

Really well done, I don't know how you have the patience for Mosaics, but 6 panes - Phew!  

BW

Carole 

05 54 27 +01 47 32

Very nice indeed Sara (as expected of course)! I look forward to see how this project develops.

Graeme mentioned that the smudged Pre-main-sequence star looks larger in the DSS (POSS 2) plates. A year or so ago I entertained myself with processing POSS2 data (which is only red and blue plates so I mixed them 50:50 to make a synthetic green channel), and accidentally one of the objects was LDN1622 (I did not know it was called The Bogeyman nebula - or did you make that up?). Looking at it now it is clear that the Pre-main-sequence star is much smaller in your Ha image. I assume it cannot have shrunken that much since the 90-ties and that most of the light there is outside the Ha wavelength.

Here is the link to the POSS2 image:

https://www.astrobin.com/284586/

Cheers

3 hours ago, carastro said:

BW

Carole 

This is a faint target Carole, so I reckon you'd need quite some exposure length to really get to grips with the potential noise. You should get plate solving, then you need never worry about a coordinate again!!! :) 

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Very nice indeed Sara (as expected of course)! I look forward to see how this project develops.

Graeme mentioned that the smudged Pre-main-sequence star looks larger in the DSS (POSS 2) plates. A year or so ago I entertained myself with processing POSS2 data (which is only red and blue plates so I mixed them 50:50 to make a synthetic green channel), and accidentally one of the objects was LDN1622 (I did not know it was called The Bogeyman nebula - or did you make that up?). Looking at it now it is clear that the Pre-main-sequence star is much smaller in your Ha image. I assume it cannot have shrunken that much since the 90-ties and that most of the light there is outside the Ha wavelength.

Here is the link to the POSS2 image:

https://www.astrobin.com/284586/

Cheers

Thanks Gorann, I don't think there's going to be much more progress this year! It is called the Bogeyman and it isn't a name I made up :)

1 hour ago, Petergoodhew said:

A new one for me Sara. Most unusual. It certainly looks challenging! I don't know how you achieved that with only 2.5 hours of data. I also happen to think it looks jolly nice!

I don't recommend 2.5h of data per pane!! 

Oooo. That's a bit nice ! 

What a wonderfully smooth and join free mosaic. The framing is nice too.

Not too sure about colour as the area seems to be red, red and more red :)  It would certainly show your processing skills if you pulled it off.

Take a well earned break Sara LOL

Dave.

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

Thanks Gorann, I don't think there's going to be much more progress this year! It is called the Bogeyman and it isn't a name I made up :)

Thanks Sara! I have now corrected the name on my Astrobin.

7 hours ago, davew said:

Oooo. That's a bit nice ! 

What a wonderfully smooth and join free mosaic. The framing is nice too.

Not too sure about colour as the area seems to be red, red and more red :)  It would certainly show your processing skills if you pulled it off.

Take a well earned break Sara LOL

Dave.

Thanks Dave! Mono it is!!!

6 hours ago, peter shah said:

Beautiful shot there Sara, gorgeous tight stars....do you have plans on getting some colour?

Thank you Peter - No plans for colour this year!!!

5 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

What a fascinating object, Sara, smoothly processed too. I like it lots!

Thanks Steve - The processing was tricky for such short data sets

4 hours ago, pietervdv said:

Very good! Such a great target, black and white suits it so well...

Pieter

Thanks Pieter - I think it suits mono well .... Or am I just lazy? :D 

22 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Super duper Sara :thumbsup:.

Just think of the pleasure next year when you can add to this whether Ha or RGB or both!

Thanks Barry - Maybe I will only ever have it in mono!!! :)

5 hours ago, toxic said:

beaut image Sara :thumbright: and if thats noisy then whats the rest of us mere mortals gona do :icon_biggrin:

Cheers Chris - While I can't comment on anyone elses noise, this one is not ideal for me :) 

A simply breathtaking image of an object I had not heard of before.  Dark skies, high end equipment and above all, superb processing skills and an artist’s eye for composition are all showcased here.  Hope you don’t mind, I’ve grabbed it as a screensaver as it’s one of those images I would never get tired of looking at...??

Archived