Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Posting Abroad

Bino Pete

As someone who lives abroad, it's really good when people are willing to send to foreign climes. In my experience 'International Signed for' is a good service and I've never had anything lost on its journey to Spain. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, swag72 said:

As someone who lives abroad, it's really good when people are willing to send to foreign climes. In my experience 'International Signed for' is a good service and I've never had anything lost on its journey to Spain. 

How’s payment usually received - do they have Paypal abroad? I’m a novice at this!

14 minutes ago, Bino Pete said:

How’s payment usually received - do they have Paypal abroad? I’m a novice at this!

Yes PayPal works fine...... as do bank transfers ? it's not quite 3rd world in the Mediterranean ??

• Like 1

I have never had any real issues with either post or courier, you even find in Bulgaria the post is often handled by the courier service. If it were not for many people on SGL and Astro B&S as well as Flo and Telly House, I would have very little in the way of gear. The only problem I ever had was my 18 inch Dob which was split into 3 shipments, one part of that went to England twice on it's way to me, but arrived safely in the end.

I've bought and sold abroad on a number of occasions and not had a problem. I've even sold a nice eyepiece to that renegade @alan potts and it arrived safely. I also bought a lovely Televue 85 from overseas and that arrived safely.

Just make sure you pack it very securely, assume it is going to be dropped so make sure it is adequately protected and you should be fine. The main complaint I get is how long it takes to get into my packages ;). You can always request that the seller packs it a certain way for stuff you are buying. A filter should be fairly straightforward though.

I’ve sent several astro things to Europe including a 30mm Pentax XW and they all arrived fine. As Stu says pack it assuming it’s going to be dropped.

I even sent a 160mm apo refractor (not my Tec160) back to Italy. Now that was a bit scary but I arranged the courier over the internet and it arrived within a day in perfect condition! ?

Edited by GavStar

Just as an aside a toy ordered from Amazon on 3rd of Dec arrived yesterday with the cheapest of post options, we had all given it up and Amazon had refunded my money, I have just e-mailed them to ask that they charge me a second time as I feel it is only fair.

Alan

• Like 1

This is probably why I don't live up to my name, but if it is the £22 filter in your classified I wouldn't bother with the % at your end. The buyer will already have a reasonably hefty conversion charge from Euro to Sterling, but you should go to your post office with the item to get their charges before agreeing on a price with the buyer.

ie your £22 could easily be £40 inc signed for postage at your end.

Regards Hassle, there isn't any at all within the EU or Euro zone, but that may well change for you fairly soon! :(

• Like 1

I have sent A Skywatcher Mak 127 over to Spain early last year, no problems what so ever,
as @ollypenrice i used, if memory serves me right :happy11: UPS and i cannot fault them, just make sure you pack it well, it would probably be best if you find out postal charges before hand, chances are there will 2 or 3 
variations and then let the buyer choose which method they want,

Package was delivered on time at the other end and in one piece as well, buyer was very happy,

I have bought from various members in the UK on SGL  even one very good member sent item over to me to try before I parted with money, the only problem can be with the delivery charges by Royal mail but if you want the item and are willing to pay the postage no problem, paypal friends I have used where I pick up the tab or paypal normal if a large sum so I am covered, and item sent tracked both times in case item lost.  otherwise a great service. some sellers don't want the hassle but that is up to them and I respect that. thumbs up from me....

Regards

Andy (France)

• Like 1

Ive posted off a few unwanted coloured glass filters and a Moon filter before to UK and America. I didnt want payment for them, so i simply put them in a padded envelope and posted them. They arrived safe and intact. 

If however you are expecting payment for something you send off, then Paypal, Postal Order or Bank transfer all work fine and are hassle free. 

Ive also bought some stuff from SGL members in the UK and paid by Paypal. 

No hassle what so ever.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

• 1 year later...
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:21, GavStar said:

I’ve sent several astro things to Europe including a 30mm Pentax XW and they all arrived fine. As Stu says pack it assuming it’s going to be dropped.

I even sent a 160mm apo refractor (not my Tec160) back to Italy. Now that was a bit scary but I arranged the courier over the internet and it arrived within a day in perfect condition! ?

Gav

Which scope was that, and what was the problem

John