Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recording Observations

Littleguy80

I’ve tried several different methods for recording observations and still haven’t really found any one method really works. 

For a first observation of an object, I’ll note it in SkySafari so I can quickly see whether or not I’ve seen an object. I have an observing diary which I normally write in after every session. For the more interesting sessions, I’ll write an observing report on SGL. I keep a document with all my observing reports in for future reference.

SkySafari 6 adds LiveSky which gives more options around recording observations per session and has an option of viewing them on the LiveSky website. In principle, this seems like a good solution but I don’t want to spend much time recording whilst observing. I’ve also found that I don’t always feel like writing in the diary if I am planning to write an observing report on SGL. 

The main goals of recording observations for me are:

1. A record of what objects I’ve seen

2. Capturing some of the memories and excitement from my favourite sessions

3. A means to encourage me to take closer observations of objects and pick out more detail. This is why I started the observing diary. 

What methods do you use? Do you bother to record observations at all? I’m trying to walk the line of fulfilling the goals above without it becoming a boring admin task! 

• Like 10

I used to write up notes for each observation, but found I could rarely ever be bothered to look back through them. Making sketches along with minimal notes is now my prefered method of recording my observations. So much can be recorded in a simple sketch, that would otherwise require pages of handwritten notes to convey the same information, but in a less effective way. I've always found it helpful to draw a rough sketch at the eyepiece, then later clean up the drawing in a quality sketch book. I've got drawings spanning the last 38 years and they're not all good, but they do offer a entertaining record of my adventures at the telescope. Drawings help you to vividly relive the observing experience! A picture definitely speaks a thousand words!! :happy11:

Attached are some examples!

post-41880-0-36564500-1446149359.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I have thought about this myself and have abandoned a couple of attempts to keep a log. I do keep a target list in SkySafari - so no gap in the clouds is safe from me - and I do keep a mental log of what I observe during a session, but it's only afterwards that I decide whether to write it up. It depends on whether I feel that my mental notes will be of any benefit to others, or whether I feel what I have to share is worth it.

I find that I need no encouragement to take closer observations. This is something that slowly grows over time. At first, I was zipping around the cloudless parts of the sky, trying to assure myself that my favourites were all still there. :icon_biggrin: Now, gradually, I am slowing down and taking more time and it's rewarding in a different way. But it's only now that I'm ready for that.

So I'm inclined to suggest you just enjoy the ride and trust your own inclination to either log or not and have faith that you will slow down and look for more detail when you're ready.

:happy11:

• Like 4

I did take notes of all of my observations in 2014. Especially  Saturn, Mars and Jupiter sessions.

All I do now is to keep a log of how many galaxies I`ve seen.

I would really like to post reports of my interesing observations  here in SGL,

but English isnt my first Language, writing a report takes hours, and  unfortunately, the very few Ive written obviously ends up as a rather uninteresting read.

So I`ll  leave posting reports to the experts, and instead enjoy Reading those reports :happy11:.

But Ill definetly keep logging those faint fuzzies.

• Like 3

I always keep a log. I note down date, start time (& end time), moon size at the top

then 

target, ( eyepiece&filter, observation notes ) repeat per EP or filter 

I keep them brief and may just note differences from one EP to another.

Sometimes I sketch (they are rough and crap drawings of galaxy arms and x marks the spot for galaxy contents usually). I always sketched planet Mars and wrote the time so I could compare to sky safari later. I try to get something that's just good enough to compare to an image in the morning :) when I rejoin the dots.

I used to rarely reread mine unless it was 12 months later and I just wanted to check what was hot at the same time last year.

I use them now to drive a write up on sgl the next day. My write up will have more info that comes to mind from the brief notes that I took in my pad.

Since I have been writing them up on SGL, I feel that I have more of a memory of previous outings when next at the eyepiece. Plus I enjoy trying to add in bits of humour...

Here are some pages from my pad...

n1.thumb.jpg.c179b87d20abc8dd4e2f14e7d20d2a7b.jpgn2.thumb.jpg.0cbde07bd2e105eac78f2b3e6cf9db73.jpgn3.thumb.jpg.c96a82f7aaa664fb353093bc08b55904.jpg

Of course, the luxury of a shed with a desk really helps with all this :)

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 12

Good question.

i just use Sky Safari 5 and if i get a challenging target or two  after a nights observing, make a quick post on a forum.

Have nowhere near the talent to sketch, and think after some cloudy months, looking at a non existent observing log could be depressing.

i tend to add targets to see into Sky Safari, plan the session and then tick them off....think that the British Astronomical Association has a template for a recording log?

Chris

• Like 1

I've always written notes when I come in from a session. What scope and mount, what ep's used, nelm and location. Then what objects and any comments on them. Sometimes I draw something but not nice sketches, rather schematics.

Sometimes I will forget targets or thoughts before I write them down even if it's only an hour later. This is annoying but I don't like making notes in the field.

I've recently acquired a microguide eyepiece and am looking forward to doing some amateur measurements and recording them, hopefully I'll be able to show proper motion in some high speed local stars and and orbital motion in some close doubles by comparing notes over time.

• Like 5

I jot down some notes while I am in the field, and then I have an observing journal that I use to fill out a more detailed report within the next day or two after the session.  I also like to do some write-ups on SGL as I find it gives me a chance to relive the experience and bring back some of the emotion that went with it.

I need to do more sketching.  It's tough right now because it's just so cold outside, but perhaps I should break out the pencils again soon.

• Like 2

I try and keep the best of every session .The easiest way that I found is old school writing in a notebook. Avoid loose leaf bits of paper , they get lost!

Going back to my small notebook that I keep by the scope , I found this. Happy memories of Mars at opposition, 4" frac and x166 !IMG_5423.thumb.JPG.17376bb854d912994e5e492aeec8c3cb.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have developed a three-part system, which works well and isn't a burden to use.

#1. A session-by-session log - date, time, object, description, magnification, remarks, etc..

#2. Summary lists of what I've seen, arranged by catalogue - M, C, NGC, etc., also planetary, lunar, doubles, asterisms, etc..

#3. Book of targets, arranged by constellation.  Plus planetary and lunar sections.  These I tick off as I get to see them.

With this approach, I can quickly check what I've seen, and be reminded of details and impressions of the observation.  And of course, there is plenty of scope tor spontaneous viewing, as well as re-visiting objects.

Doug.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Since I got a televue fonemate for a Christmas present, I’ve been taking iPhone pictures of several of my observations. The photos aren’t great but give a decent representation of what I actually saw at the eyepiece. 

I have noticed that I’m referring back to the photos to review them etc.

Im not a good sketcher so this is the closest I can come to making a pictorial record of my observations.

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 2

I have great admiration for those observers who are disciplined enough to record their observations in whatever form they have decided upon. @mikeDnight's sketch books look amazing.

However, to put an alternative view to those already expressed, I don't record anything. I may write an SGL observing report immediately afterwards if I've really had a good session that I would like to share. I enjoy my time at the eyepiece discovering new objects and revisiting favourites. That seems to be enough for me. No doubt there are many explanations why people feel the need to record their sessions and all of them are valid of course.

• Like 2

I have used a dictaphone on many occasions to record my observations at the scope. I have found this a very good way of capturing a lot of information including comments I probably wouldn’t write down at the eyepiece. This helps to bring the observing reports alive when I share them on SGL. Apart from my SGL reports I don’t really record my obs (perhaps I should), but I have created an Observing list in Sky Safari and I include all the objects I have observed for future reference. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I have used a dictaphone on many occasions to record my observations at the scope. I have found this a very good way of capturing a lot of information including comments I probably wouldn’t write down at the eyepiece. This helps to bring the observing reports alive when I share them on SGL. Apart from my SGL reports I don’t really record my obs (perhaps I should), but I have created an Observing list in Sky Safari and I include all the objects I have observed for future reference. 

I talk (mutter, sing, swear) to myself too much for this to work :)  People would think I am insane if I played it back (maybe I am to be out in the cold at night).

I even talk to the cat when she decides to hop up on the shed side!

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you all for the fantastic responses!

@mikeDnight your sketches are amazing. I’ve had a few goes at sketching but have struggled to get good results. As my mount doesn’t automatically track, it becomes a bit of pain to keep the target in the eyepiece and get the sketch down on the page. Maybe something to return once I have some good widefield eyepieces. 

@iPeace “just enjoy the ride” Great advice :) 

@Pondus I’m sure your observing reports make great reads. I read a lot of observing reports and every single one has something of interest in them. Would it be quicker to write in your native language and use a translation website to put it into English and give that a quick tidy up? 

@alanjgreen I was looking forward to your response as you write such wonderful reports. Having the shed to observe must make note taking easier. Thank you for sharing your notes :) 

@Cjg Cheers, Chris. SkySafari is great for observing lists. Will have a look for that template!

@Paz I also make notes when I get in most times and have a tendency to forget things. I often go back in the morning and add extra notes as I remember things!

@Hayduke27 Now I think about it, my diary is probably more of a journal. I quite often add extra thoughts about things going in my life as well as astronomy observations.

@cotterless45 Thank you for sharing your notebook. Really good for grabbing notes and sketches at the scope. Do you do all your sketches in the notebook?

@cloudsweeper Neat system, Doug. Quick and easy to tick off targets. Is that done on a spreadsheet or pencil and paper?

@GavStar I love taking a photo with my iPhone at the eyepiece :) 

@David Levi Thank you so much for the counter point. I was really hoping someone would. I didn’t record anything when I first started and have definitely pondered whether recording observations gives me more or less enjoyment. 

@RobertI Great idea. Quick and easy :) 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

@cloudsweeper Neat system, Doug. Quick and easy to tick off targets. Is that done on a spreadsheet or pencil and paper?

Neil - all by hand in those tall, "lab-book" type pads.

A spreadsheet would I feel constitute too much faffing about.  I only use a spreadsheet for my tables of EP type and focal length, AFOV and TFOV, mag, and exit pupil.  One table per 'scope, of course.  Extremely handy when "in the field".

Doug.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

cotterless45 Thank you for sharing your notebook. Really good for grabbing notes and sketches at the scope. Do you do all your sketches in the notebook?

That's just a handy wee scribbler that goes in the drawing box, filled with China graph pencils , white line pens and black card. There's a few on my posts. Whatever record that you make , will be great to look back on and share,

Nick.

• Like 1

I've found that the problem is that there is no one system that suits all situations.  A written journal is great, but makes it really difficult to retrieve previous observations of a particular object.  Computer-based logs are great, but lack flexibility and suffer from a fundamental problem of forwards compatibility if you want to retrieve your observations 10 or 20 years later.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

I've found that the problem is that there is no one system that suits all situations.  A written journal is great, but makes it really difficult to retrieve previous observations of a particular object.  Computer-based logs are great, but lack flexibility and suffer from a fundamental problem of forwards compatibility if you want to retrieve your observations 10 or 20 years later.

I think that’s exactly what I’m hitting against. Although a journal and something like Doug’s handwritten check sheets for ticking off items on the lists seems a good combination 

• Like 1

I started with pieces of paper.
Then went onto sketch pads like Mike.
Moved over to full notes for 2017 and found it hard, so skipped some sessions being recorded.
May now go 2018 with a basic note pad like several others above.

In all honesty the main thing is the memories of what I have seen and that relies on the grey matter, sadly that is not as good as it was memory wise!

• Like 1

I love my notebook. I use it to record  especially what new things I've seen and also to help me remember the session. As it develops I find I like leaving a reminder of the night so it's less of a list and more of a diary so hedgehogs, frozen toes and peanuts are appearing more and more. Everything is from memory though. When I get home I open stellarium and scribble a list to be written up later. 

Notebooks are wonderful things.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, domstar said:

I love my notebook. I use it to record  especially what new things I've seen and also to help me remember the session. As it develops I find I like leaving a reminder of the night so it's less of a list and more of a diary so hedgehogs, frozen toes and peanuts are appearing more and more. Everything is from memory though. When I get home I open stellarium and scribble a list to be written up later. 

Notebooks are wonderful things.

Hedgehogs, yes.  Frozen extremities. yes.  Not sure where peanuts fit in though Dom!  Energy boost?

I jot stuff down as I observe, as I couldn't rely on memory.  

Main thing though is to record sessions, 'cos it is so easy to forget what you've seen and your impressions of it.

Doug.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alan White said:

In all honesty the main thing is the memories of what I have seen and that relies on the grey matter, sadly that is not as good as it was memory wise!

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there, Alan. It’s all really just a means of triggering those memories. Ticking off targets off a list is fun and adds some extra interest but we really just want some notes, a sketch, a photo or an observing report that helps us recall one of those happy moments at the eyepiece. Maybe even inspire us to return to a long forgotten target.

I think @iPeace‘s sentiment sums it up well:

On 09/01/2018 at 23:12, iPeace said:

just enjoy the ride and trust your own inclination to either log or no

Thank you all again for your awesome responses. Once I settle into something, I’ll share it with you :) 

• Like 2