Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Trapezium G and H?

beka

Hi All,

This is an image of the Trapezium in Orion taken with my CPC 1100 and  Canon 700D. 21 x 15 second exposures at ISO 400 were stacked and auto-stretched in Siril. Curve was tweaked, image was sharpened and cropped in Gimp. It was taken at the native f10 without a focal reducer. The stars are somewhat oval - the reason for which I have not figured out. I think the G and H stars can be made out. Hope you like and any comments are welcome!

trapezium.jpg

1 hour ago, Owmuchonomy said:

A nice revealing shot.  I agree F and G are visible.  Considering the focal length of your set up the stars are pretty good in my view.  How is you CPC mounted?

Hi Owmuchonomy, it is on the factory altaz mount.

On 28/12/2017 at 19:30, beka said:

Hi Owmuchonomy, it is on the factory altaz mount.

In that case I think your stars are a very good shape for a non EQ set up and long FL.  Well done.  I think the target is almost overhead for you in your region?

2 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

In that case I think your stars are a very good shape for a non EQ set up and long FL.  Well done.  I think the target is almost overhead for you in your region?

At the time it could have been 50 to 60 degrees - can check the exact time. Seeing was not the best I have experienced.

I did another run at processing. This time I stacked just 3 of the images with the roundest stars and sharpened more aggressively in Gimp. I believe now I also managed to snag the "I" of the trapezium with G and H becoming more obvious. I don't think H1 and H2 are resolved, rather we see another star near H which does not seem to have a similar alphabetical designation. 

Wish everyone a happy new year!!!

trapezium-cropped.png

Archived