NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1318 Butterfly nebula - A total mix of data!

swag72

Last year when I tackled the Butterfly nebula with the TMB152 it took 6 panes..... I really did mean to collect the OIII and SII as well so that I could make a nice colour image, but who was I trying to kid... The Ha alone was 48 hours worth. As a result, I left it mono with the idea to collect the SII and OIII once the short focal length scopes were up and running. Fast forward to a week or so ago and the SII and OIII piled in at 330mm so only a single frame was needed. A nice quick way to get some colour into some nice resolution data.

Something from my usual colours, I was quite surprised to see so much blue in here as I often think that the blue is lacking in many of the versions I see.... so I left it in there. 

Details:

Mount: Mesu 200 / EQ8
Camera: QSI683 with 3nm Astrodon filters
Scope: TMB 152/1200 for the Ha and Tak FSQ85 0.73x for the SII and OIII

48 hours of Ha data in a 6 pane mosaic all 1800s, then SII 15x1800s and OIII 13x1800s totalling 62 hours in total.

The registration between the two different focal length data was done with APP as was the original mosaic build. Also, I used the channel combination to lower the dominance of the Ha data, so that the colours were pretty much right from the off, without having to do much colour select jiggery pokery in PS

You can see a larger version on my website here as well as the original 6 pane mosaic breakdown.

IC1318 SGL.jpg

That puts a really new perspective on this target Sara, don't usually see the various components so clearly defined.  Great work, though I do envy you being able to take so many hours of data.  No hope from here.  Clouds, LP, restricted FOV from home at least.  

Carole 

Thank you all for your comments - I really do appreciate them, especially as this is something of a different rendition from my usual :) I guess there are times when we just need to run with the data listen to what it's telling us and not bludgeon it to death to achieve what we thought we'd see :)

Archived