Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another NGC1333 in Perseus For You To Peruse.

StuartJPP

I spent Friday (15th) and Saturday (16th) collecting some additional data for my NGC1333 from last year. I havent' been out for ages, despite the clear weather recently.

Since the village I image from changed from Sodium to LED lighting recently I kept the IDAS filter to try and keep some consistency in the subs, but there was certainly a difference in the colour, could have been conditions as well as the neighbour's Xmas light wonderland :happy8:

Both nights weren't great overall, but there were periods of good transparency. I plodded along regardless as I wanted to "finish" off NGC1333 once and for all (though we are never really finished are we?).

Baader modified Canon 6D at ISO 1600
Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens at f/4
Avalon Instruments M-Zero
Polar Alignment using homemade PoleMaster
PHD2 for guiding using QHY5L-II-M and QHYCCD MiniGuideScope
APT for image acquisition, GOTO++, framing, plate solving, and dithering.
SQM (according to Unihedron SQM-L) was ~20.77.

Total of ~120 subs of varying quality of 300 seconds each (totalling ~10 hours)

Imaged just outside Horncastle in rural Lincolnshire...

A fairly quick process, the raw data is still a bit noisy but a lot easier to process now with additional data. Will spend some more time on this.
Combined_4_1920.thumb.jpg.be4f10384ffb599c8891adc5459fb5b5.jpg

Typical guiding:
Untitled.thumb.png.56df01f0c69de742c9f360169911c07b.png

Setup on Saturday night during a clear spell:
MZ0A5641.thumb.jpg.8e20360fcc8c3c36df0298fe8e5a705c.jpg

Just prior to packing up at 02:10 as freezing fog came in:
IMG_20171217_020936_1280.thumb.jpg.87a440bcc4f6acd0791db7d031261cd0.jpg

Dew heater doing its job:
IMG_20171217_020957_1280.thumb.jpg.93471e0dc8121b44897080912e07e85f.jpg

SQM of 20.77 apparently.
SQM.jpg.699a0353274b76ccd3d74615dadd698a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Amazing image and effort!

I had -14°C last night and frost everywhere except on my heated front lenses, but of course I had the benefit of naturally cooled and noise free DSLRs. I should have taken a picture of the deep frozen triple rig but I was just too cold and tired when I finally closed the roof at 7am.

22 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Thats a cracker Stu... plus a sparkly frost covered lens :D  I love nights like that!

It is a blessing in disguise, it took quite a while for the lens to dry up completely despite using some dessicant/moisture absorbers as I didn't have my lens cleaning kit with me. All fine in the end though. The tripod and mount and knobs were frosty too...

21 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Glad to see you out imaging agains Stuart.  Your NGC1333 just gets better!  Love the dust!

Thanks Barry, I have added enough to this now so this is as good as it gets, though I will play with the data again.

21 hours ago, gorann said:

Amazing image and effort!

I had -14°C last night and frost everywhere except on my heated front lenses, but of course I had the benefit of naturally cooled and noise free DSLRs. I should have taken a picture of the deep frozen triple rig but I was just too cold and tired when I finally closed the roof at 7am.

We were just below freezing, about -4, so a good 10 degrees warmer! The coldest the camera reported was 6C, so yeah, who needs a cooled CCD :)

17 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

Excellent dslr version of this area. :icon_salut:

Thanks, DSLRs have some use still :)

9 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Very nice Stuart. I do envy your rig, the Canon and Avalon work nicely together.

Ian

Thanks Ian, yes I like this setup and it is pretty stable now, so it has allowed me to add to data from last year. Quick to set up even though I hadn't done so for about >3 months.

4 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Fabulous image Stuart. I really like the subtle dust lanes, they make it stand out & the whole image has a slight 3D effect. Well to my eyes and my Adobe RGB screen, that is.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

4 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Fabulous!!!!  Well done Stuart, incredible details you've got in there.

Yes I got caught by that freezing fog too and had to pack up at 03:00.  

Although the subs started getting a tiny bit brighter between them, the last sub was almost completely white, at which point I knew it was time to pack up.

1 hour ago, andyo said:

fantastic image the dark stuff is full of lovely textures

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, peter shah said:

lovely deep image

Thanks Peter, hopefully I can now move on to a different target.

On 18/12/2017 at 20:59, swag72 said:

I like that Stuart..... that's a very classy image indeed ??

Thanks Sara....

On 18/12/2017 at 21:14, gorann said:

I have now processed one of my images from Sat-Sun at -14°C on (just posted) and I could not find a single hot pixel, so frosty equipment has its advantages......

It does have it's advantages, but in the UK we don't have too many nights like this, usually it is just grey and damp :(

On 19/12/2017 at 10:12, Shibby said:

Lovely image. Good depth, detail, star colours; it's got it all!

Cheers!

21 hours ago, MartinB said:

Wonderful image Stuart esp given your LP

Oops, should have stated this was taken in rural Lincolnshire, sorry about the confusion. I almost never image from Leeds, quite pointless unless doing NB.

4 hours ago, graemlourens said:

Very impressive and very mysterious. I love it!

Thanks!

Archived