Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing live 2018 - is it happening

Mark-V

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Mark-V said:

Is BBC stargazing live happening in 2018 - does anyone know ?

Not sure. But they have been doing the Stargazing live the last couple of years. So it does seem to now be a bit of a BBC fixture, so I should imagine they will carry this on.

Don't mention this year's one in Australia on this thread. The location on this one did not go down well with the home grown SGL members. Hopefully the 2018 Stargazing live  will be a stay at home one. Maybe the Isle of Skye would be a popular site to broadcast live from ??

• 3 weeks later...

The Go Stargazing team are working towards arranging a nationwide stargazing weekend in place of BBC Stargazing Live to take place on 16th and 17th December, coordinated with the National Parks Dark Skies festival... For more info see http://gostargazing.co.uk/2017/12/12/bbc-stargazing-live-2018/ it would be great to have your support!

I watched a recording of the latest Sky at Night this week, and at the end of it Maggie said there would be no programme in January because they were making room for Stargazing Live!  Did anyone else notice this?  (honestly, I hadn't had a drop! :smile:)  I deleted the recording (yes, it was that good!) so I can't go back and check.

No, but yeah, but seriously, I appreciated the fact that it's better to have something than nothing but I never saw any of the last StarGazing Live because I'd already been disappointed by what I'd seen the one before that.

There is potential in the format but not as a star spangled version of the Super Bowl. 

If it aint going to be about stargazing call it something else and they might get the viewing figures they crave!

18 hours ago, Tarazed said:

The Go Stargazing team are working towards arranging a nationwide stargazing weekend in place of BBC Stargazing Live to take place on 16th and 17th December, coordinated with the National Parks Dark Skies festival... For more info see http://gostargazing.co.uk/2017/12/12/bbc-stargazing-live-2018/ it would be great to have your support!

At Norwich Astro, we've added an extra Public Open Evening on 23rd and 24th of February, which I think will be a 'what's up' talk and tour with as many of our fab volunteers as possible using their scopes for visitors to look through. 

Chris

3 hours ago, paulastro said:

I watched a recording of the latest Sky at Night this week, and at the end of it Maggie said there would be no programme in January because they were making room for Stargazing Live!  Did anyone else notice this?  (honestly, I hadn't had a drop! :smile:)  I deleted the recording (yes, it was that good!) so I can't go back and check.

Was it the one about the star of David theories ?

That was a repeat from 2015 I think .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I basically gave up watching 3-4 yrs ago. Stargazing LIVE from the UK is a fruitless endevour.

I do enjoy the different take on mythology from the Aboriginal point of view (from down Under). I agree with a comment above..............

If you do a Stargazing "live", from Oz.........please use local Aussie presenters, who actually know what they are talking about. 

I dont watch the show when broadcast from anywhere. I record it and skip through most of t.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/04/2018 at 02:27, knobby said:

So, the next question ... Can we get this on UK TV somehow ?

Yes... one of two ways I can think of are one YouTube in a day or two after it aired or get the ABC "LiveView" app (available for iPhone/iPad/Android and smart tvs) and watch it live.

6 hours ago, knobby said:

But ...

And that's using a vpn mimicking Sydney ?

Screenshot_20180423-185200.png

If you're using a Sydney server it should be fine... double check you "location" after you connect via the VPN...

The app has no idea that you're outside Sydney when using a VPN.

Archived