Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep25_banner.thumb.jpg.9e57eee22cad68fd6b67a87befeaa79b.jpg

Hi all,

Whenever i took pictures attached to my telescope i get a big white flare in the middle..am using celestron astromaster 130eq with nikon d3200...i hv attached a sample image..please tell me y this happens? 

DSC_6012.JPG

"deepind" If I zoom your picture, I notice that the entire image is effected from the white flare.. I remember when I was in India " Bombay ", I could hardly use my  Camera + Lens out due to the humidity in the air outside, only in the aircondiotioned building or room I was able to take pictures....

Could it be ? the case ? that your equipment is effected by humidity ? and that is where from the white flare are from ?

Can you check that ??  but it looks like " vignetting " to me also..

Nartin

Edited by artem

Thank sir..but from starting itself it is like this only...may  be my camera or telescope not suitable for astrophotography?

That kind of looks like something on the lens as in moisture, it maybe on the sensor protector glass.

The other thing is it looks square, are you getting that image through a glass window ?

As the 130P is not a dedicated imaging scope I would as 8472 has said suspect vignetting where the amount of light at the edge is reduced owing to something cutting into the light path and so reducing the edge illumination - the focuser is the most probable. Will also say that even if you got a dedicated imaging scope they may not illuminate the full sensor of a DSLR.

Try to use a heat band around the opening of the telescope. It's essential in the winter.

On 12/3/2017 at 10:09, artem said:

"deepind" If I zoom your picture, I notice that the entire image is effected from the white flare.. I remember when I was in India " Bombay ", I could hardly use my  Camera + Lens out due to the humidity in the air outside, only in the aircondiotioned building or room I was able to take pictures....

Could it be ? the case ? that your equipment is effected by humidity ? and that is where from the white flare are from ?

Can you check that ??  but it looks like " vignetting " to me also..

Nartin

I had a similar issue on holiday in southern India a few weeks ago.  Lots of 'misty' looking pictures and some that looked OK.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By A_D05
      Hi everyone, 
      I am thinking about buying a Celestron Nexstar 6se to use for astrophotography at a very beginner level. I am thinking about using a ZWO ASI224MC as it seems a good option. I have a few questions about how to setup/use it - here they are:
      1.) Do you just screw it on where the eyepiece is usually at?
      2.) Do you just have the cable going to a computer where you have stacking spect where that stacks the photos it takes?
      3.) Does it automatically take photos of planets and DSO’s?
      4.) Does it need any filters to get color on nebulae as those are they primary things I want to photograph
      Thats all, as you can see I am a beginner to astrophotography and just want to know how to use the camera to take decent pictures.
      Thanks all 
    • By ABPhotosUK
      Hello to all,
      I've just acquired my first tracking mount, a Skywatcher Star Adventurer, having dabbled with AP some years ago with a Celestron Nexstar 5SE which I still own but quickly realised back then that I needed an EQ mount. I captured my first ever planetary images this week with the 5SE and my new ZWO ASI290MC - Jupiter and Mars -which I was pleased with as a first stab but clearly need more work and knowledge. Looking forward to contributing more on the forums.
      Clear skies,
      Andy
    • By Spacecake2
      What telescope brand would you choose?
      Reply below for your favourite telescope brand. It would be really helpful to know which brand to buy.
      Celestron, Meade, Orion, Skywatcher  etc.  
      Thank you for viewing

• By Spacecake2
      Hello,
      Does anyone know if I should upgrade my telescope? I have a Celestron Nextar 127slt and I've been using it for a few years now. I want to see more detail on Jupiter, Saturn and Mars.
      Does anyone have any suggestions from Celestron?
      Kind Regards
    • By endlessky
      I have already posted my first astrophotographic session report in the telescope review thread: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series - Review. But since that is more of a general review/diary of my experience with the new telescope, I feel some of the issues I am having are being buried and they will probably get more visibility if I post them - in a more synthetic version - in a dedicated thread.
      So, a few nights ago (October, the 5th) I took out my new telescope for its first light. All the photos have been taken with the 0.8x flattener/reducer and the Optolong L-Pro 2" filter attached to the reducer. The camera is an astromodified Nikon D5300. The only processing the following pictures have consists in this:
      - AutomaticBackgroundExtractor
      - ColorCalibration
      - Stretch
      Here we have a 90s shot of M31.

And here's a mosaic generated with the AberrationInspector script.

What I do like:
      - tightest, smallest, roundest stars I have gotten since I started doing astrophotography at the end of January. Obviously comparing it to what I have been achieving with a kit 70-300mm zoom lens, these can't be anything else but better by orders of magnitude
      What I don't like:
      - star shape not consistent in all areas of the image
      - residual chromatic aberration, especially on stars that are not round: there's clearly some red and blue edges visible
      I didn't expect this from an apochromatic refractor, but maybe it's just because the stars are kinda "smeared", so not all light is focused at the same spot? I don't see this around the center of the image (or, at least, the problem is less pronounced). Maybe I have some tilting in my imaging train/sensor?
      I have been doing some reasoning about it and it seems like a combination of tilting and/or backfocus spacing. According to the following image about backfocus spacing:

if the stars are elongated radially, the sensor is too close, if they are elongated tangentially, the sensor is too far. But to me it seems I have a little bit of both: in the top right corner, for example, the stars look radially elongated, in the bottom right, they look tangentially elongated. Top left they look tangentially elongated, bottom left also, but a little less. Seems like there has to be some tilting as well, otherwise they would all have a symmetric shape on all corners, correct?
      How do I determine - is there even a way - if the issue is due to tilting only, backfocus only, or the combination of the two? Is there a sure proof way of checking for tilting? Like, rotating the camera and taking pictures with, say, the camera at 0°, 90°, 270° and 360°? If there's tilting, the pattern of the star shapes should follow the camera, correct?
      I also tried splitting the channels in R, G, and B components, doing a star alignment of the blue and red channels with the green as a reference, and recombining the channels. The blue and red edges become a lot less evident, which is good, but obviously the star shapes remain the same.
      In my Telescopius gallery you can also find two other images, Capella and Capella Mosaic showing pretty much the same issues.
      Also, one issue with the guide camera: ZWO ASI 224MC. When attached to the guide scope (Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4), I can't seem to get a "sharp" focus, I even tried on the Moon, and the best I got was a soft lunar disc, with some major features visible, mainly by change of color/brightness (the maria, for example), but no details. The image still seemed blurred/bloated. Is it because of lack of IR blocking filter? I tried the same camera attached to the main refractor, with the L-Pro filter (which blocks UV and IR, as well) and I could focus perfectly. Do I need an IR block filter for guiding or even if the stars appear a little soft, the camera guides just fine?
      Matteo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.