NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wow, goto

nightfisher

Tonight was maiden run for the Mak 127/star discovery/wooden pier............absolutely stunning!

I always avoided goto, silly me, i have just picked of M3, M5, M10, M13, Saturn, and about 5 double stars one of these was a Her some thing and stunning. I caught Jupiter as it was just above the horizon it was awful, i sent the scope to M101 but it would not resolve it, M13 just got better and better as it got darker.

Am i pleased with this set up............you better believe i am :happy11: 

Skys looking good tonight jules, i can see the mw from my backyard so im expecting the conditions to be fab.. great to hear your mounts doing a bang up job, worth the effort for the pier project..

Dont forget about those persids though.. ive seen some crackers in the last half hour!

Fill your goto boots!

Ta

fozzie 

cheers guys, i am struggling with the Persieds due to the on going issues with my neck, but managed to bag a few including one superb one

@Stu yes the mojo is back big time, this setup was put together with an emphasis on Luna and Solar system, defo need to get a faster scope like the 102 F5.

I only used one ep, the 18mm BCO i got from Shane, amazing to set the scope up and hop from object to object :happy11:

Bed time now as my hobbies have double booked me, i have a planned multirotor mission in the morning

Glad goto is working for you Jules, I think I finally realised the benefit last night at a society observing session when I was trying to get on the ring nebula with the frac. It was so high up, the ground I was knelt on with my neck twisted was gravelly and it was awful. Fella next to me pushed a few buttons and was right on it! rude I say! :)

5 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Glad goto is working for you Jules, I think I finally realised the benefit last night at a society observing session when I was trying to get on the ring nebula with the frac. It was so high up, the ground I was knelt on with my neck twisted was gravelly and it was awful. Fella next to me pushed a few buttons and was right on it! rude I say! :)

Yes John, i always avoided goto, but its so nice to use, the whole system works in harmony and putting the mount on the pier was a superb move, now to order a widefield frac

Great that your enjoying the Stardiscovery mount with the scope. I found the mount great to use and certainly made things much easier to find, especially when LP makes it harder to track things down easily. With your goto and scope you should be able to quite easily find and see some of the planetary nebulas up there too. NGC7662 (Blue snowball nebula) in Andromeda, and NGC6543 (Cats's eye nebula) in Draco should get you going for starters on these objects. I can pick them out with my 18 Celestron X-Cel EP very easily, looking just like their namesake of planets in the sky! :) 

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

Great that your enjoying the Stardiscovery mount with the scope. I found the mount great to use and certainly made things much easier to find, especially when LP makes it harder to track things down easily. With your goto and scope you should be able to quite easily find and see some of the planetary nebulas up there too. NGC7662 (Blue snowball nebula) in Andromeda, and NGC6543 (Cats's eye nebula) in Draco should get you going for starters on these objects. I can pick them out with my 18 Celestron X-Cel EP very easily, looking just like their namesake of planets in the sky! :) 

Gus its proving a great set up, plus i have the widefield scope ordered, in the goto synscan menu there is a setting for "Tracking" do you know how this works?

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

What did you go for Jules?

I went for the Takahashi Opticstar AR90s gold 90mm F5.5 with single speed crayford and 2" drawtube, i had the older Starsky 90 and it was a cracking scope, i know its short enough to fit the AZ goto and will only be used for lower power, nice and light

Archived