Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

Pete Presland

Lunt Solar wedge 1st light AND a word of warning!

Finally 1st light with the Lunt solar wedge, albeit a very brief one! Not the best of conditions, lots of cloud, but at least the seeing was reasonable!

The first image is with a Baader ND3.8 filter, the second with the Lunt Solar wedge. I wouldn't say the difference is staggering, I guess its slightly better though.

The conditions were slightly worse when I was capturing the second image.

Both images are with my ED80, DMK21au618 + X2.5 Powermate & X2 Barlow. 5,000 frames

598625a687c00_2017_08.05BaaderND3.8filter.png.b2b33bd6123f8bcb9a1e3b722b340bbb.png 598625a7d6454_2017_08.05LuntSolarwedge.png.ee5dc77efbc8f30fc991fd05086156cf.png

This image is what will happen to your eye should you mix the Solar wedge and the standard wedge up. Having finished imaging, I removed the camera and Lunt wedge and put the standard wedge back. I quickly realised my mistake, but In around a second it had already started to burn a hole in the dust cap.

5986266f866f3_20170730_1205491.thumb.jpg.afe3bbca988ee07bf0046c30da8447d4.jpg

• Like 10

great firstlight Pete, ive done that myself at least once a year , last year I burnt my hand pulling the alloy astrophys cap out :help:. charl.

Edited by xtreemchaos
  • Like 1

Nice first light Pete. I've melted a few dust caps in recent years!

• Like 1

That's a pretty impressive improvement in my book Pete! Nice image!

Glad it was just the cap!!!

• Like 1

Look at that... yup solar observing can be dangerous... check and triple check before sticking a CCD or your EYE in the eyepiece... might give yourself homemade LASIK!!!

• Like 1

The solar wedge clearly gives the better image.

Just shows how dangerous the Sun can be with just a slight lack of thought.

James

• Like 1

Agreed on both counts. It's a good idea to get into a routine of checking if you are prone to make mistakes like this (not suggesting you are BTW). I tend to just take out the solar wedge rather than both and that way, I can only put the right one in.Then again, I don't image so my process is slightly less complicated.

I place my normal diagonal in every time then when take kit out I have my solar wedge in a small case I then swap them over so I know what is in before I take my end cap off.

I suppose we're all different. I store my scopes just on their own and all the other bits in a 'solar case' (my old PST case converted with foam) and an eyepieces case. That said, when I go away with a scope, I do tend to put the diagonal inside the solar case to save space.

Here's my solar case at home

20170806_140655.thumb.jpg.5ebb3ed8203bc30accbc016a55b1517e.jpg

And for travel (I don't do ha  on hols)

20170806_140630.thumb.jpg.ceed27453c2930936f5ee8cc57366e77.jpg

Obviously I need a binoviewer box and have a box of finders etc. But this works well for me.

• Like 2

I`m missing a cover for the end of the scope so put the diagonal in so no dust can get in otherwise I would do the same as you Shane.

• Like 2

The wedge is going to take up permanent residence in the ED80 from now, I don't really use it for  anything else.

I am thinking of  upgrading to a 120mm scope though.

• Like 1

The ST  120 was surprisingly good although I use a 120ed  now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

The ST  120 was surprisingly good although I use a 120ed  now.

I did think about an st120mm, I probably will not use it for much else. An ED120mm might be a bit better scope than I need.

If you can find the budget the 120ed  is a superb all rounder and I'd highly recommend one. It's my most used scope currently.

• Like 1

Ouch, I took the wedge off without capping off the other end once, then like a fool put my hand in front of the focuser. pulled it away sharpish.

• Like 1

I tend to move the scope / sun off axis before taking out the wedge

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I tend to move the scope / sun off axis before taking out the wedge

It certainly helps :)

• Like 1

Nicely done Pete, I keep forgetting to park the scope before removing the Quark and burning the hairs of my hand,

Dave

• Like 1