Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flocking - makes a difference !!!

Skipper Billy

So what do you do when your new scope arrives? Take it to bits of course! . Not an easy task lining the inside of a long tube with strips of sticky backed fabric and not getting any creases, air bubbles or overlaps!! Its worth it though - I hope you can tell which half has been completed!

IMG_0413.JPG

Looks quite a difference when you illuminate it !

I didn't see much, if any, difference when I used my scope after flocking though :dontknow:

But it does give a sort of peace of mind that you have done what you can :icon_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, John said:

But it does give a sort of peace of mind that you have done what you can :icon_biggrin:

That's what I thought - it was in pieces in any case to fit a Moonlite focuser so whist I am waiting for a custom flange from Moonlite in the USA I thought I would make the effort - can't hurt can it !!

Nice job on the flocking. I think it did make a bit of a difference on my scope, but baffling the primary edge made a more noticeable impact on planetary. Given you're fitting a moonlight I take it you weren't that impressed with the hexafoc? 

7 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Nice job on the flocking. I think it did make a bit of a difference on my scope, but baffling the primary edge made a more noticeable impact on planetary. Given you're fitting a moonlight I take it you weren't that impressed with the hexafoc? 

Its not bad - there is no discernible wobble even wound all the  way out but there is a lot of backlash  in the mechanism - it could probably be adjusted out but I have a spare Moonlite stepper motor....

That's odd, can't say I've noticed any backlash in mine, but I don't have the 10:1 gear ratio which I guess could be a source of the issue. I'll have to pay more attention to it the next time I get it out.

I flocked mine a year or so ago, and I also find contrast is much better, I also flocked mine while replacing

the focuser with a Moonlight, which is also much better, contrast on fainter targets is without doubt 

better, there is more detail, the Veil is one such target that seems to respond, I think flocking is well

worth the effort  

I have a little Celestron C90 Mak, and I saw online someone flocking the tube leading to the eyepiece. Actually the person used flocking paper rolled into a tube and then slipped into place. I would do this, but I feel the flocking needs to be more robust and secured. I do notice a lens flare (?) when a bright object is on the edge of the field of view. Y'all have any idea how to get something like this done? Sortta frightened to go inside the scope at all.

RS

4 hours ago, theropod said:

I have a little Celestron C90 Mak, and I saw online someone flocking the tube leading to the eyepiece. Actually the person used flocking paper rolled into a tube and then slipped into place. I would do this, but I feel the flocking needs to be more robust and secured. I do notice a lens flare (?) when a bright object is on the edge of the field of view. Y'all have any idea how to get something like this done? Sortta frightened to go inside the scope at all.

RS

It might be worth looking at other possible causes before you consider flocking a mak, especially if you are not confident about stripping down and reassembling it, or doing anything permanent. The innards are more complex than those of a newt.

One thing to look at would be the eyepieces, as some are internally blackened, and some are not.

20170629_223840.jpg

I flock mine, cant say for certain if it makes a real difference, but it is a good excuse to dismantle a brand new telescope and put it back together again, gives the feeling that one has built it oneself:)

Flock works much better than Matt paint at dealing with this grazing incidence light. I have a flocked dew/straylight shield and it makes a huge difference in keeping nearby streetlights form making too much nuisance!

peterW

On 6/29/2017 at 17:50, Mognet said:

It might be worth looking at other possible causes before you consider flocking a mak, especially if you are not confident about stripping down and reassembling it, or doing anything permanent. The innards are more complex than those of a newt.

One thing to look at would be the eyepieces, as some are internally blackened, and some are not.

20170629_223840.jpg

I am not talking about flocking the entire scope. I am only really concerned with the primary tube that has a distinct glare issue. I saw the YouTube video below, and think I can do this without harming anything or causing myself to have an anxiety attack.

Seems to me that their is some question as to the benefits if any. Has anyone done a more scientific test with the same scopes (one flocked and one not) on the same day at the same site? There are so many variables involved if the comparison is done from memory and over different days. astronomy is such a subjective sport:-) I do love seeing the conflicting views...makes us keep thinking

I can say that it definitely does improve the imaging aspect of a telescope - especially when it comes to internally reflected or leaking ambient light. I didnt have quite enough to completely flock my 200pds so I did the tube wall opposite the focuser and the inside of the drawtube (the most important bits). Since I did that I no longer get the issue of light bouncing around, bypassing the primary/secondary mirrors and mucking up my flats.

One thing to do once the job is finished.... get some sticky tape and wrap it round your fingers (sticky side up), then dab the flocking to remove any bits of fluff and loose fibres (like you would to remove bobbles/hair from your clothing) before popping it all back together.

Edit:

Oh, while youre at it (if you have enough left), flock the inside of your dew shield. The one I have (Celestron) was a bit shiny on the inside, so I flocked it.

I would try the same sell adhesive flocking material as we use on scopes, especially if you have a bit spare lying around. If not I think wilkos are the cheapest. http://www.wilko.com/sticky-back-plastic/d-c-fix-original-deco-self-adhesive-film-velour-black-348-0005/invt/0309578. If the lens hood shape is irregular then you can heat the flock with a hairdrier and stretch it to fit. 

Just now, RichLD said:

@Alien 13, I've used the Wilko self adhesive material on my newt and dewshields and it worked really well.

If you do need to use paint @ollypenrice and a few others on here have used barbecue paint, as it uses dyes that don't reflect uv. 

HTH

Rich

Thanks, I think I will go for the flocking option not sure if the paint would stick or react with the plastic lens hoods.

Alan

Archived