Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7000 and the Pelican

DMouse

Lovely image. But I agree with Rodd; the black point can be moved in a tad and a half.

Personally, I would also increase local contrast somewhat to make the neck of the Pelican stand out a bit more.

Ok, I agree on the black point but I didn't do that for one very good reason, NOISE! With only a relatively small data set, if you push the stretch of the image the noise increases significantly. Anyway, here is a new version with the black point brought in a little.

Clear Skies

Paul

NGC7000_Stack_HA_1x1_v2_1950.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-07-04 at 16:01, DMouse said:

Ok, I agree on the black point but I didn't do that for one very good reason, NOISE! With only a relatively small data set, if you push the stretch of the image the noise increases significantly. Anyway, here is a new version with the black point brought in a little.

Clear Skies

Paul

NGC7000_Stack_HA_1x1_v2_1950.jpg

Which software do you use for processing? In most software packages, there are several ways to reduce noise and keep detail. In PixInsight I commonly do noise reduction before stretching (tgvdenoise) and as one of the last processing steps (acdnr). In PS there should be similar processes. Just use a mask to limit the reduction to low snr areas.

On 04/07/2017 at 15:01, DMouse said:

Ok, I agree on the black point but I didn't do that for one very good reason, NOISE! With only a relatively small data set, if you push the stretch of the image the noise increases significantly.

Fair point, but I think it's more than just a black point adjustment that you can use to advantage.  Tweaking at both ends and the middle can give some drama, without pushing the noise too far, I think?  I've given that a go here, if you don't mind:

epop-stretch.thumb.jpg.cfd1594c4a92e5c96213cd534c954578.jpg

In this case, I've used a combination of MATLAB and Nebulosity to apply some histogram equalisation and then curve stretching.

––––––––––––––––

PS: I wish I'd taken this image... I haven't been able to anything like that good yet.

Archived