Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My DayStar Solar Scout SS60-ds thread

Today I took delivery of my new Solar Scout SS60-ds,  hereinafter referred to as the Scout.

Solarizer.thumb.jpg.22425b88143b1a8e29b5a3a4d0a4481c.jpg

It only took 5 minutes and some orphaned dslr step-down rings to change it from f15.5 to f25 (aperture 37 mm).

Aperturizer.thumb.jpg.4ceb02853a31d3d2f8b306d58e400d71.jpg

Contrast should be a lot better at a slower f ratio. That's the talk on the street anyway.

Initial feelings about the scope is it seems fairly well made but it lacks finesse. There's a few small details that should have been done better, like the threaded end of a tiny screw randomly sticking out the tube by a millimeter.

FLO checked the scope before sending it, so I hope it is a good unit. The tuning knob is off center, I am assuming that's the correct setting after FLO's checks.

Tomorrow is sunny!

• Like 9

I guess my Vixen NPL 30 mm is an ideal solar eyepiece. Trying unsuccessfully to persuade myself I don't NEED the SLV 25 mm I have been hankering after. Or an SLV 20 for high power...

• Haha 1

Vixen NPL30 is a great eyepiece imho, I know the pop up eyeguard is a bit plasticy but it has always given great views. I have the SLV25 as well and there's not a lot in it really. The NPL30 does show a bit of curvature towards the edge of field but it's still my favourite from the NPL range.

• Like 1

Excellent Ags - and congrats. Hope it exceeds your expectations. You can experiment with the aperture and tuning to find the best compromise. If it’s a really good etalon, maybe you can use wider aperture. The step down rings are a great idea!

• Like 1

No doubt the views will be excellent. The Vixen NPL 30mm is a good eyepiece but I find for solar it blacks out a lot plus there's the curvature. The best eyepiece I've used for solar is a WO 9mm swan. It's generally good for most things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

You can experiment with the aperture and tuning to find the best compromise.

Yes, I can step down to 26 mm (f35) if I really want to, or step up to 43, 48 or 52 mm. But it is a balance between contrast and resolution (and exit pupil).

Edited by Ags

Thin cloud today, but I had to try.

My talentCell can power the AZ-GTI and the Quark. Solar finder works adequately. Focus is easy.

Very red!

At middle setting, bit of surface detail, filaments and prominences.

Turned all the way clockwise - no proms or filaments, more surface speckles.

Turned anticlockwise, not much effect, maybe more contrast in filaments.

Definitely preferred the f25 view over the f15.5 view. 

View was sharper in 30 mm plossl, but more comfortable in 20 mm plossl.

The cloud was thickening but I tried a quick photo. With gso 0.5 reducer, the sun fits nicely on the ASI485MC chip. I'll post the picture later, but I doubt the capture will work out - the cloud was very thick by that time.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

I was surprised prominences were so obvious and mobile, and also that filaments stood out so well, and that tuning the etalon made such a difference. The ten minute wait to reach a new tuning setting is not onerous, as you can view during the adjustment. It also gives an incentive for an impatient observer like me to stop and look. The image was certainly not bright, even at full 60 mm aperture, but that probably had more to do with the veil of cloud I was trying to see through.

I think I will give the SLV 25 mm a try. I wonder if a 15 mm SLV might be a good addition too?

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ags said:

I was surprised prominences were so obvious and mobile, and also that filaments stood out so well, and that tuning the etalon made such a difference. The ten minute wait to reach a new tuning setting is not onerous, as you can view during the adjustment. It also gives an incentive for an impatient observer like to to stop and look. The image was certainly not birght, even at full 60 mm aperture, but that probably had more to do with the veil of cloud I was trying to see through.

I think I will give the SLV 25 mm a try. I wonder if a 15 mm SLV might be a good addition too?

In good seeing, I use an 18mm BCO to good effect. The 15mm should be fine too, a bit higher mag, so more dependent on seeing.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

Nice arrival Ags, this Ha observing is contagious.
I am using a borrowed Ha scope at present and the Scout is a ? on my list,
a list that may remain just that for a while, but a list all the same.

Look forwards to reading the postings on what you have seen.

Oh and dont resisst the Vixen SLV, they are very nice EP.

• Like 1

I have a Skywatcher Super 25 I use a lot in my finderscope, and I have been meaning to upgrade it. The trouble with buying a telescope is it causes chaos in the eyepiece case. Now I am thinking of getting SLV 25, 20 and 15 to go with the 12, 9 and 6 I already have!

I am looking forward to a clear day with better contrast and a brighter image.

• Like 1

I promised I would upload my image, and here it is. No detail on the disk - probably because the stacking algo is chasing wisps of cloud as they blow past. At least it shows the scale of the Sun on my ASI 485 MC. I have never tried running a color camera through AS3!, I have a lot to learn. Happy with the color though 🤣

13_02_16_lapl6_ap8_conv.thumb.jpg.f20eabcfe6972b369392ad98491499bf.jpg

Edited by Ags

Had a longer go at lunch today. I am thinking f31 (30 mm) gives the sharpest, most textured view, although 37 mm and 43 mm can work too. These latter apertures might be better for photography, or higher magnifications because of exit pupil.

Tuning to -3 seems to be the sweet spot: surface detail is well defined and proms and filaments are still visible. The sun was best in the NPL 30 today. It's amazing to see proms change in real time.

No time for photography today, but tomorrow looks sunny and no work commitments!

Tomorrow I really must wear a hat. 

• Like 1

Very nice scope and I look forward to more reports! I've been using 40mm and 30mm NPLs and 20mm SLVs for solar binoviewing and am happy with them but I rate the SLV's as excellent and the NPLs as very good but not excellent (I haven't found anything else at the right focal lengths to tempt me away from the NPLs yet). I was also agonising about getting another 25mm and 15mm SLV to make pairs for solar binoviewing through a Quark (4.3x barlowed) and a wedge (about 3.4x barlowed) but have managed to resist the temptation for now. If I find those focal lengths are sitting in obvious gaps I will come back to the idea.

Could I ask where do you get those stop down rings? I am looking at making a home made contraption to stop down my ED102R to 90/80/70/60 mm for the same reason - playing with the f ratio when using my Quark. What you have looks a lot more professional than what I am going to make!

• Like 1

I got them 10 years ago, this is the branding.

16499512030071241490743917450617.thumb.jpg.f0904d8e8e3165ca2a1a15fa39c0854e.jpg

It is very convenient, they just sit on the end of the scope held in place by gravity. Just a few seconds to change apertures.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ags said:

I got them 10 years ago, this is the branding.

16499512030071241490743917450617.thumb.jpg.f0904d8e8e3165ca2a1a15fa39c0854e.jpg

It is very convenient, they just on the end of the scope held in place by gravity. Just a few seconds to change apertures.

Thanks I can see you can still get these kind of things - I'll have a look around!

4 hours ago, Paz said:

Very nice scope and I look forward to more reports! I've been using 40mm and 30mm NPLs and 20mm SLVs for solar binoviewing and am happy with them but I rate the SLV's as excellent and the NPLs as very good but not excellent (I haven't found anything else at the right focal lengths to tempt me away from the NPLs yet). 

You might like to try a Baader Classic 32mm plossl. I found it better than either the 30mm NPL (which I really like), and TeleVue 25mm plossl. It's far more contrasty, sharper (imo), cheaper, and has no undercuts, and has the winged eyecup (which I also really like). Oh, and it doesn't vignette like the TeleVue. The TV sat in a grey area regarding magnification, in between the Baader plossl and the Baader 18mm BCO use when the seeing allows. 

I won't be getting rid of the NPL as I got it for an absolute steal, but it is a bit redundant. Maybe good for outreach.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

The Baader 32mm and 18mm are my most used eyepieces for solar (also with a Daystar SS60). 

The 32mm is sharp contrasty an-  with the eye guard extender- correct eye placement is easier than any other long FL plossl I’ve used.

The 18mm still allows a full disk view, but the higher mag helps with seeing some of the smaller features. 

I only rarely use the 10mm BCO for solar- I find it seems to have a profound vignette that’s much less problematic for night time observing- it’s probably my most used eyepiece in my 10inch SCT…but that’s for a different thread.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. with @catburglarI haven't tried the eye-guard extender, haven't really needed to, but perhaps I will just to see the difference.

I've also not used the 10mm or 6mm BCOs in the Daystar, seeing or exit pupil definitely won't allow it, IMO, so I haven't experienced vignetting with them. And, yes, I use them all the time in my long achros with no vignetting whatsoever.

Edited by Roy Challen

I am reasonably happy with the NPL 30 although eye placement is a bit tricky with the Scout. The NPL 20 gives a more comfortable view somehow.

Looking forward to having a real go at imaging tomorrow. I'll try at full aperture and 30 mm, interested to see the difference. I'll be happy to capture any detail at all after my last shot in the dark. 🤣