Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Horizon_Brave

...But What if You Want the Effect of Multiple Filters?

Posted (edited)

So...a question...let's say you want to shoot in a slightly light polluted area...but you also want to use the IR/UV cut filter...how can you use both then? You can only apply one filter at a time...so are is this a sort of 'pick your poison'? So you can't have IR/UV filtered along with Light pollution as well?

For example here:

https://expertphotography.com/best-astrophotography-filters/

There's a ton of great filters...but how is it possible if you need a light pollution filter because of the area you're in..but you also want to cut IR/UV ? It seems like you can only do one at a time.

Thanks all..

Edited by Horizon_Brave

Most decent LP filters have IR/UV cut. Astronomik CLS-CCD and the IDAS D2 LPS for example.

A bizarre first post imo...but welcome anyway!

8 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Most decent LP filters have IR/UV cut. Astronomik CLS-CCD and the IDAS D2 LPS for example.

A bizarre first post imo...but welcome anyway!

lol, I'm curious why it's a bizzare post? Lol but thanks for the response...So would you say that it's just better in general to go with the LP filter over a normal IR/UV filter? Since it cuts both ?

Posted (edited)

You can stack filters, it's not efficient and you may suffer from reflections possibly in some cases. As David mentioned above, most lps filters have ir/uv cut and with astronomik cls they do both, one with uv/ir ( cls ccd ) and one without ( cls )

The ones without are generally for visual as you cannot see ir/uv the ones with the cut are for cameras as they can see ir/uv

Edited by barkingsteve

16 minutes ago, Horizon_Brave said:

lol, I'm curious why it's a bizzare post? Lol but thanks for the response...So would you say that it's just better in general to go with the LP filter over a normal IR/UV filter? Since it cuts both ?

Apologies. I read the post and I thought the link was to an advert for a filter. Re-read again and I can see your honest question! But yes, you can have LP filtration as well as IR/UV cut with the same filter. The IDAS D2 I use for example has UV cut up to 400nm and IR cut after 700nm.

idas_d2_lps_transmission_graph.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Apologies. I read the post and I thought the link was to an advert for a filter. Re-read again and I can see your honest question! But yes, you can have LP filtration as well as IR/UV cut with the same filter. The IDAS D2 I use for example has UV cut up to 400nm and IR cut after 700nm.

Thanks so much!

So what about this one:

https://optcorp.com/products/astronomik-cls-eos-aps-c

It doesn't say anything about IR/UV filtration...but it does say CLS...

Edited by Horizon_Brave

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anthony RS
      Selling the Astronomik 12nm clip in Ha filter for 120€. Bought it for 270 usd including vat, customs and shipping so it's a really good price.

The filter is still in excellent condition, used only twice. No fingerprints, no scratches not even dust (image attached).

I will also handle the shipping through my post office without cost. If another shipping method is requested, then we'll have to to discuss the price.

Contact me if interested.

Clear Skies,
      Anthony

• By melsmore
      First the disclaimer. This is my first attempt to sketch Mars, or indeed any planet. Also, it started to rain and I had to abandon it with some urgency (hence no orientation marker). I used a HB pencil and a blending stump. But I think I can see a couple of features that match Ade Ashford's app.
      The Wratten 21 filter improved the view enormously (although you may find that hard to believe looking at the picture) helping show the surface detail and improving the seeing. I tried it the day before in my 80mm refractor, but that just made the image too dim, but on the 115mm it was very good, so I recommend it to anyone with 115mm or larger.
      I tried sketching the moon (Plato) several years ago, but SWMBO pronounced it (I'll paraphrase her here) more Feline Anatomical than Selenographical. While this one may look more like a two year's old attempt at drawing a rabbit, at least no one can confuse it with the rear end of the cat. So regardless of the criticism I receive here, I'll give it another go tonight (weather permitting). 🧐

• By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      I'm selling these 2 filters since I'm getting a mono astro cam. The filters are barely used and in perfect condition, no scratches, no fingerprints, not even dust. They are both amazing filters, probably the best investment I've made. I've attached some images
      taken with these filters, using a 100$ celestron newtonian, a 250$ Canon 500D and the infamous AVX. Also attached are images of the filters showing their perfect condition.
      Astronomik CLS-CCD Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/filter-gegen-lichtverschmtzung-filters-against-lightpollution-lpr/cls-ccd-filter/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-cls-ccd.html
      Original price including VAT is 155 Euros (around USD 182). I got it for around USD230 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 100.
      Astronomik Ha 12nm Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter/clip-filter-canon-aps-c/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-h-alpha-ccd-12nm.html
      Original price including VAT 194 Euros (around USD 228). Got it for around USD 270 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 150
      I am willing to ship them on my own expense using LibanPost (from Lebanon). Shipping might take time; if you would like to use some other shipment method please contact me to discuss the price. 
      Feel free to buy one or both together.
      Let me know if you have any questions. 
      You can also contact me on <private email address removed>
      Cheers,
      Anthony

• By A_D05
      Hi everyone, 
      I am thinking about buying a Celestron Nexstar 6se to use for astrophotography at a very beginner level. I am thinking about using a ZWO ASI224MC as it seems a good option. I have a few questions about how to setup/use it - here they are:
      1.) Do you just screw it on where the eyepiece is usually at?
      2.) Do you just have the cable going to a computer where you have stacking spect where that stacks the photos it takes?
      3.) Does it automatically take photos of planets and DSO’s?
      4.) Does it need any filters to get color on nebulae as those are they primary things I want to photograph
      Thats all, as you can see I am a beginner to astrophotography and just want to know how to use the camera to take decent pictures.
      Thanks all 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.