Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milkyway Panorama

As promised here is my first ever panaroma of the Milky Way taken at the Salisbury Star Party. Three sections with an hour of data for each taken with a Canon 400d and a Sigma 17-35mm lens set to 17mm F4 ISO 800 on an Astrotrac Mount. Stitched together with San Serif Panorama Plus.

8080_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Regards

Kevin

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG :shock: :salute: That's come out really well. Congratulations Kevin, you must be proud of that. The North American neb is immediately obvious and a closer examination should reveal more DSO's. I can see the Coathanger asterism hanging in the Cygnus Rift too.

Could this be a contender for POTW?

That is stunning :clouds2: Congratulations! I bet you are more than satisfied with that.

I'd like to give this a try myself someday; what are the minimum exposures/stacking needed to bring out details in the Milky Way?

I would go for at least 10 x 5 min subs for each part of the mosaic at ISO800.

Thanks for the great comments all. It certainly was a wow moment when that popped out of the stitching program. I may have another go at the individual frames to get a better balance when I have some time.

Regards

Kevin

I have been waiting for you to stitch it together Kevin, and I have to say you have made a hell of a good job of it. I love these images of our home galaxy, they don't appear all that much.

They give us a reality check regarding the scale of things. We see countless stars in this portion of the MWG, giving us a sense of the enormity of the Universe.

This is a superb Image.

Ron.

Archived