Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milkyway Panorama

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that really is awesome, great widefield shot.

anone ever thought of doing one of these panoramic shots for the whole sky?

That would be a big job!

It's worth getting hold of Starry Night Pro Plus for that alone.

It took 3 guys 3 years of travelling around the world, starting in Arizona, and then a further 2 years of processing. They used a custom built CCD camera - over 20,000 images in all with 5 resolution levels (for zooming the mosaic in SN)

The initial project was to get the entire Milky Way but then they thought 'why stop there... why not get the whole sky?'

I wonder if Astroman in Arizona knows them :clouds2:

that really is awesome, great widefield shot.

anone ever thought of doing one of these panoramic shots for the whole sky?

I'm up for that just give me the clear skies and I will have it done in no time :clouds2: LOL (..............................................BV wanders off to find fish eye lens).

Regards

Kevin

Fantastic image Kevin, you have just set the benchmark for AstroTrac users. :thumbright:

When aligning are you just using the polar scope of are you drift aligning?

I just use the polar scope it has three alignment points the pole star and two others. The other stars are a bit tricky to see sometimes as they are a lot dimmer than the pole star. The alignment is also not that critical at short focal lengths. I havent imaged with it above a 200mm focal length but other people have with good results. You may possibly find that drift alignment or at least very careful alignment with the polar scope may be required above 200mm fl.

Regards

Kevin

Archived