Should it be this complicated?

23 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

JOC, you should use a tempura batter. Much lighter

Until you've tried my heavy batter you can't say you've lived. LOL

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

You want to see galaxies whose light set out in this direction around the time the dinosaurs went extinct. And you can! You want this to be dead easy? Come on, be reasonable...

:icon_mrgreen:lly

I didn't say any of those things actually. But thanks, I think.

I'm only a visual astronomer and I've tried to keep things as simple as possible with my setups because I've found that I enjoy the hobby much more that way.

Having been observing for 30 plus years I've sort of got the hang of it now but I still regularly have sessions which don't work out, where I can't find what I'm looking for or where the viewing conditions change for the worst rather quickly.

Like most things, the more often you do it, the better you get at it and what seems complex becomes more routine. Drawing on what I now know about observing I would say that, with the exception of a very few targets, achieving good observing results is actually pretty challenging and sometimes, even when successful, the actual view is not that spectacular.

Repeated practice does start to bring better results as your technique improves but it does take time.

I've often posted on here that it's not really a hobby for "quick wins" and I still feel that.

I'm still at it though so there must be some rewards at times - they are what keep you going through the more frustrating periods ! :smiley:

22 hours ago, Mr niall said:

I think, before I got my telescope, that I had this image in my head of stargazing being more straightforward. I guess I had this idea that I'd just whip out the scope, point it at things in the sky that I'd learn from a planisphere or whatever - and I'd be off in an intergalactic wonderland!

But it's not really been like that - I mean don't get me wrong, I'm havIng a whale of a time, but I can't help but think certain aspects are a total pain in the Bottom. I mean, for a kick off; there seems to be so many bits and pieces to store and look after. If I want to do a bit of stargazing I need to manhandle the scope outside, uncap all the bits, extend the legs, level it, lock it, find the battery pack, plug it in and initialise, find my eyepieces and so on and so forth... and then when I'm done I have to do it all in reverse. And I don't really have anywhere in the house to just leave the scope setup so I kind of have to disassemble and store it, and they're a kind of weird unwieldy shape - so all of which means fighting my way past the family and often interrupting "The thundermans" or "Sam and cat" or "Henry danger" which is a fate worse than death believe me, and then do it all in reverse, and it always means a couple of trips in and out of the house amid calls of "close the door its bloody freezing, where are the dogs, what are you doing?" And so on....

And I know what I want to look at before I get out there I just can never find it! And that means more trips back into the house! I know you guys talk about trips to nearby sites for better viewing and the very notion of attempting that makes me feel mildly nauseous!

I guess what I'm asking is "is it the same for everyone?". Or is it just me? Do you guys have a system for keeping organised, or is there a way of setting things up or a type of scope or observing that is super straightforward (but still uses an aperture bigger than standard binocs)? I'm using a simple goto with a 70mm refractor so I guess that's what you guys call grab and go, but I guess it's not grab and go enough! I'd really like a simple, discrete "all in one" kind of deal where I don't spend 20 minutes with a grownup version of  Lego? Or maybe it's just an experience / practice kind of deal?

Or maybe I'm totally missing the point which is possible! Any insight gratefully received!

And you thought you had problems.....

Re. the video: What moronic waste. The kind of guy that burns a book because the words are too long?

Sometimes I also take out my scope and just point it then let it track. No need for polar alignment as it's broadly okay just pointing north (the latitude is already set). Really easy.

Other times I want to find things I haven't seen before (like M81 the other night) so I need the GoTo to help me. Even then it's only another few minutes for alignment.

My kit is stored in two cases and a large bag, so only three trips. Four if you count me running power from the garage to the mount. I get it all set up and then have a coffee while it's cooling, or if I'm out with the kids, I'll use the Heritage Mak with them. That scope is by comparison super fast to set up. Attach the scope, level it, plug in and off you go.

I think the main thing is to allow plenty of time for it - and let the other folks in your house know in advance so they can join in or stay out of the way!!

One last thing - I move all the kit into the room next to the outside door first, and then shut the other door(s) before I go out - no arctic breezes for the others then and I can go in and out without having to open and shut doors the whole time.

7 minutes ago, Yearofthegoat said:

Re. the video: What moronic waste. The kind of guy that burns a book because the words are too long?

Considering the effect of receiving one of these could have on a young persons enthusiasm for astronomy burning is probably the best thing that could happen to it.

Dave

Hi

all my kit is at the back of the television in the lounge it takes two trips first trip scope mount tripod already set up second trip eyepiece case carried in to conservatory through kitchen closing doors as I go along battery built in mount align mount with iPad a couple of hours later take it all back in sometimes get the close the door it's cold or something along those lines

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Considering the effect of receiving one of these could have on a young persons enthusiasm for astronomy burning is probably the best thing that could happen to it.

Dave

Well yes, you may well have a point.

I was laughing at him until he stamped on the thing. Thought for a moment he was just going to settle for a Basil Fawlty-style thrashing with the tripod leg!

8 minutes ago, Yearofthegoat said:

I agree, mind you it was completely contrived and over-acted IMO.  I must admit I don't like anything that wastes resources - anything.  I don't like things like the tomato throwing festival, the paint throwing festival in Inida, I don't like smash the crockery stalls at fairs, I have a problem with the current double glazing advert on TV where they drop the piano and I hate the Jaeger Meister advert where they burn the deer made of the branches - such a fabulous piece of art totally destroyed.

Does it matter if it takes a bit of time to set up? Even the most complex kit takes no more than maybe 20 minutes or so. It's usually light other than in winter anyhow and the scope needs to acclimatise. Just relax and take your time. Try my star hopping guide. Might help?

Perhaps the OP needs to get/build an observatory, I kind of get the impression that the trials and tribulations experienced by the OP are some of the reasons that folks build these -yes?

It's whatever keeps your enthusiasm up. I've taken my scope out, no cooling, streets lights less than 20 metres away giving the usual light pollution. Popped an eyepiece in and spent 10 mins looking at a less than perfect Jupiter and have thoroughly enjoyed myself. I think most of us do this hobby because it fills us with a sense of wonder. The distances and the objects we're looking at themselves are mind boggling. It doesn't have to be perfect to be fun. A blurry picture of your kid/partner laughing can still bring a smile to your face. Just find what makes it fun for you

54 minutes ago, JOC said:

Perhaps the OP needs to get/build an observatory, I kind of get the impression that the trials and tribulations experienced by the OP are some of the reasons that folks build these -yes?

Build an obsy for a 70mm refrac?. Seems extreme and costly. I think this is just a case of getting used to moving everything outside and setting up.

It seems I'm traveling the opposite direction in relation everybody here! 

My first and only telescope is dobsonian, and my second telescope will probobly be either a skywatcher 200p dob or an APO refractor on an EQ mount for photography.

8 hours ago, JOC said:

This is all getting a bit out of hand... ?

For a 70mm Refractor that can be carried outside on its mount and tripod ? Or in 2 bits at worse...

Maybe this is a by product of some aspects of today's "instant gratification" society...

I'm old enough to believe that "you reap what you sow". Invest time and practice and the rewards will come to you. Expect everything to be a quick win and you'll be disappointed...

Well it shouldn't be a problem to set it up every time , many folks do so.  Just as I do, but the only other alternative is to leave it setup.  My setup takes me about 10 minutes.  I can't see that there is any  halfway house.  Mind you I do think a couple of sturdy plastic boxes or a shopping tolley would help to get it all outside quickly.  Within a week of ownership I had obtained boxes!

OT: As other have said, Goto is probably overkill on a 70mm refractor. A simple alt-az mount and a good tripod is fine.

As for the family and whatnot...embrace it. The weirder they think you are, the more you can get away with in the long run. 

This is not a hobby of instant gratification. You are at the mercy of the combined effects of your work schedule, elements, other people's work schedule and your health (a virus always knocks me out during the bouts of fine weather).

But the upshot is that the good and memorable views will etch into your memory, forever. And just so that you make sure they are not forgotten, come here and tell us all about them. :)

To some extent it is as easy or difficult as you make it, bit like packing for a holiday.

With that scope you could get away with 1 eyepiece, say a 12mm maybe 15mm. You would see lots and it would be reasonable viewing.

I have a 70mm, I take 3 eyepieces: 5mm, 8mm, 25mm. Battery (2, LiPo and Li-Ion), the tripod spreader go in a trolly bag, with the eyepieces. Torches and book go in the trolly bag.

As the bag is easily bigger assorted other items go in - Mains-DC converter, Solar filter, couple of power leads, spare handset and the intervalometer if I am thinking of getting an image to play with. Every chance of another eyepiece as putting 4 across is easier then 3, just fit better. What I make sure is that I never have more then the trolly bag can take and as half of it is not really necessary on an evening that is easy. But the bag is where I store the items for ease of finding.

Having said that the one item that is used and seperated from the rest so taken seperately is a set of binoculars. If I have driven somewhere then no problem as a set lives in the car all the time. I just grab those and put them back at the end.

That sounds relatively straight forward to me, if you think that is a palaver you should try imaging (not).  

If you think it is a chore then see if you can find some way of leaving it already set up and put it in a shed/conservatory/garage etc and bring it out whole.  If you don't have a shed, then make/buy one, but does seem overkill for a simple to set up scope.   I saw a photo once of a box some-one made attached to the side of the house which housed their Dobsonian, that could also be an option.  

You will get used to it, and get quicker with practice.  

Carole 

Thanks guys, based on your advice I think the obvious choice is to build some sort of observatory in my back garden, this will save on setup time considerably. I'm hearing that Astro photography is quite challenging so I'll get a dob I think - I'm hearing things about LP being an issue so I'll get a big one - I reckon 14 inch to start. I'll also pop to the doctors and see if he can help me with my instant gratification problem, although I'm probably just a product of a plastic fantastic throwaway society - actually now I think of it, im going to design a range of "insta-scopes" sort of single use throwaway things that you get from the newsagents, maybe I could make special edition ones with fancy designs? The beauty is that the eyepieces are fixed so if you want a different magnification you have to buy a new "insta scope"! Anybody want to invest? Also I want this observatory up today, anybody know any good observatory builders in Staffordshire? Or can I get a flat pack one from B&Q, I don't mind paying extra as I'm so impatient.:happy7:

On a serious note... I'm rather stuck on my own with this, I was more just wondering if my experience was typical or whether I was doing something silly or wrong! Thanks for the support... it's good to know I'm not doing it all wrong, although I can think of a few things to make life easier, and yes I had also wondered whether GOTO on my little scope was a tad overkill! :hello2:

Archived