Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Wiltshire

jacksdad

Thought it'd be polite to say hi - so hi!

I'm normally pretty good at finding information myself, but I'm new to this and sometimes a question is more efficient than searching for something when you don't know what it is ;)

So my son has been on about wanting a telescope for a while, and for his 8th birthday last week he asked family for money towards one instead of random presents. We looked around and had almost settled on getting something like a skywatcher heritage 76 as a starter - that was until we went to a family member's house to try their 'scopes (skymax 127 and a random 76mm reflector)...

Another look around and we got followed home by a used (well, pretty much unused) sw explorer 150PL with an eq3-2. It's my son's 'scope, but y'know, I've got to know how it works! For a start, I've got some tweaks planned on the mount and tripod to get some extra stability and we both want to try some imaging fairly soon (I've got a bit of background with photography and quite a bit of kit, just have to translate that knowledge... "just"...)

Well, that's enough waffling for now.

Thanks guys.

Seeing as sunny Wiltshire isn't so sunny today (and I don't see this cloud shifting any time soon) I've got the eq3 and tripod in bits to see if I can reduce the wibbly shakes a bit...

I've got some improvement ideas that I've not found elsewhere yet - I can't say if they're unique (or any good tbf) but I'll see if I can find an appropriate section to stick a thread up about it.

Hi and welcome to you and your son to this forum. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions as they arise by posting in the relevant section - there is a lot of helpful individuals and information to get you going in the right direction!

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here too.

Archived