Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.
15 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Evening SGL, though i would share a image from a couple of weeks ago.
My attempt at the Elephant trunk nebula (it is in there!) This is my first 'proper' attempt using some newly aquired aperture rings which are great, they make processing a star layer so much easier as you dont have to deal with the horrible star spike the EF200L produces!
Only 2 hours 35 minutes of data here because at the moment i am using a ball head on a dual bar which is a pain to balance and an even bigger pain to frame, making re-framing a daunting task! I have now ordered a lens collar to make things easier. Hopefully the microfcuser i have right now is not too big to allow me to use it - i have a feeling it is! May have to replace it.
Anyway, here ya go. Details at the bottom.
Exposure details: 30* 300 second subs, f2.8 (f4 with ring), ISO 800, calibration frames, 200mm Camera: Canon 600Da Lens: Canon EF200L 2.8 II Mount: NEQ6 Guiding: Orion Miniguider
Hi all, heres my attempt at M45 this year.
60x210 seconds, f2.8, ISO 800, calibration frames, 200mm
With just under 3 hours 30 minutes this has fallen far from how i wanted it to be. I planned on getting 10 hours! But with cloud forecast all week i'll settle with this till later in the year.
I shot using the lens wide open and using the 3rd point focusing method, hoping to have enough light grasp to pick up some of that faint dust in the area. I picked up 7 hours over 2 nights and thats when problems started.
My first imaging session was the first time i used my new dew heater, i focused and then turned the heater on which shifted the focus i think, leaving me with over 3 hours of un-stackable data! This image is made up of data from the second session, you can see that the stars appear to trail and i wanted to ask if anyone using this focusing method has ever been left with stars like those in the image? They appear to streak a little bit and look as if they are rotating around a center point. I have spoken to one other person who has experienced this.
Because i have recently started using Backyard EOS, im not aware how to set up the live view so you have the 4 intersecting lines (if its even possible) so when focusing i roughly guessed where the intersecting lines would be. If i didnt have the star in the right place, could it have caused the stars to appear the way they do?
Anyway, heres the image.
This is my first go at M31, taken with the EF200L and an unmodded Canon 1100D on a Astrotrac. I quite enjoy this wider FOV for Andromeda, its a nice change to see it floating in space rather than squeezed diagonally into frame hopefully this time next year i will have a scope and i myself will be doing the squeezing.
1 hour of 120 second subs, f4, ISO 800
4 hours of 180 second subs, f4, ISO 1600
Evening SGL, though i would share my first astro mosaic. Taking on this little project was a spur of the moment decision, i made no plans for it until i imaged M8+M20 and thought "hmmmm, a galactic centre mosaic would look pretty tasty!". I then planned to create a 3x5 mosaic of the area totaling in 15 panels. But like i said, without planning it out properly i was left with the Milky Way dropping too low in my sky for me to get anywhere near what i wanted. So i only managed 4 panels...
Each panel was around 70-80 minutes exposure time except one which i lost a lot of frames on because of cloud, leaving me with one panel of which the exposure time totaled 45 minutes. The processing and creating a seamless image was hard but this 'dud' panel caused more problems. I had to stretch it first and then bring the rest up to the same levels, if i had managed 70 minutes on this panel, i could of stretched the whole image a bit more without any problems.
Each panel was made up of 120 second exposures at f3.2, ISO 800.
And here is a couple of the single images...
M8+M20, the Lagoon and Trifid
And a part of the Pipe nebula, i call this area Barnard City
I will be better prepared next year and will hopefully get to finish what i've started!
All images were taken with a Canon 1100D and a EF200L on a Astrotrac TT320X-AG