Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

mapstar

WADAS forum 3

11 hours ago, mapstar said:

I'm still itching from all those midge bites from the other night ! 

I'm absolutely covered and my face and neck are looking like one of my star charts! Think I've got the constellation of Great Midge going on here haha. Itching like mad and I'm having to apply antihistamine cream. Funny as they didn't seem to be bothering me on the night.

Now then Mark. Fabulous images. Great detail in the veil nebula and one to have another go at. Nice looking mount too. So, we'll be blaming you for any clouds haha. Looks like a right bit of kit though :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

I'm absolutely covered and my face and neck are looking like one of my star charts! Think I've got the constellation of Great Midge going on here haha. Itching like mad and I'm having to apply antihistamine cream. Funny as they didn't seem to be bothering me on the night.

Now then Mark. Fabulous images. Great detail in the veil nebula and one to have another go at. Nice looking mount too. So, we'll be blaming you for any clouds haha. Looks like a right bit of kit though :)

No it's not my fault ?  It is nice though 

20 hours ago, Mark62 said:

Just to let you know. 

Its here just need to learn how to use it now :BangHead:

IMG_1297.JPG

Hi mark

thats a nice mount are you getting a new telescope to go with it

or are you using one of your old ones ?

8 minutes ago, gtis said:

Hi mark

thats a nice mount are you getting a new telescope to go with it

or are you using one of your old ones ?

No I'm not getting a new scope it's for my 200pds as the eq5 will not carry the weight. 

ok mark

took this the other day

30 images stacked in DSS 25 secs f3.5 34mm focal length 1000 ISO

dss2_DxO.jpg

Edited by gtis
  • Like 2

Looks like there might be a chance of some clear skies this evening, anyone fancy some more Midge bites?

36 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Looks like there might be a chance of some clear skies this evening, anyone fancy some more Midge bites?

I have rain and clouds at Dunford bridge

• Sad 1

http://clearoutside.com/forecast/53.52/-1.77

BBC not as good: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650731

http://www.meteoearth.com/#/,-1.46,53.38,17.18,10,1,1,0,0,0,time=1503187468 - looks like there should be a break in the clouds in the evening

Met Office gives it clear(ish) too: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcwb0j8y3#?date=2017-08-19

5 different forecasts - as usual!!!

One of them must be right :D

• Like 1

I'll re-check about 8:30, see what the weather is doing and how people are feeling about it. I'll aim to leave about 9 ish to be there for 10 :)

@Mark62 I'm going to risk being disappointed with a journey out there - looks like I may be on my own, but i fancy a trip out on the chance it turns clear.

Won't be the first time I've sat in that car park looking a clouds :)

7 minutes ago, rockystar said:

@Mark62 I'm going to risk being disappointed with a journey out there - looks like I may be on my own, but i fancy a trip out on the chance it turns clear.

Won't be the first time I've sat in that car park looking a clouds :)

Any other time I'd be there mate - happy hunting

abandoned due to road closure!

looks like it's starting to clear too :(

• Sad 1

I'm  in the south downs tonight and it's nice and clear here. No telescope though so I'll just be star gazing. Spotted 2 persieds last night 

14 minutes ago, rockystar said:

abandoned due to road closure!

looks like it's starting to clear too :(

Unlucky mate always next time I suppose, I just had a look for this coming week solid cloud at the moment ?

@rocstar Sorry for not answering. It's was really cloudy and windy here so decided that a small whiskey was called for and had an early night. 

Sorry you could not get there but I think it could have been a bit too windy even if it had of stayed clear. 

It dose look cloudy for the rest of the week which is a shame as I have a new mount to try out 

It was clouded over when I got back, but was beautifully clear and still when I went to bed at 12:30!

I think i might have got an hour out there if I'd made it. And there is another way round from my house, without using the woodhead pass, which I discovered when I got home! The road is closed until October!

and yes, it looks rubbish for the next week or so, which is why I fancied getting out.

never mind, these things are meant to try us in this hobby :)

Edited by rockystar
  • Like 1

Anyone going to try to find clear skies for the 4% eclipse we week get in the UK tomorrow evening? Don't think I'll be bothering. Hope anyone who has travelled to The States finds clear skies. A few of the Huddersfield gang have made the journey so I'm hoping they'll get a result! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vicky050373 said:

Anyone going to try to find clear skies for the 4% eclipse we week get in the UK tomorrow evening? Don't think I'll be bothering. Hope anyone who has travelled to The States finds clear skies. A few of the Huddersfield gang have made the journey so I'm hoping they'll get a result! :)

I don't think I'll bother going looking Vicky but if we get the sun I will have a look 

On 20/08/2017 at 17:56, Vicky050373 said:

I have some stunning images of the eclipse from John and Ruth Nichol. I will ask if they don't mind me posting them here.

Hoping the weekend picks up so I can get out. 

• Like 3

Ruth and John have kindly gave me permission to post their images from the eclipse.

First image the beginning of totality with the Diamond ring showing Bailys beads

IMG-20170822-WA0000.thumb.jpg.e9d03984a438c51c1280e036b512c323.jpg

Second showing the prominences during totality

IMG-20170822-WA0001.thumb.jpg.dc86e80da9b483b4bb936ff9bd0ed76e.jpg

Third the extended corona

IMG-20170822-WA0003.thumb.jpg.becb53ffbf1678c64ba759bab83bb361.jpg

And lastly the diamond ring reappearing during the end

IMG-20170822-WA0002.thumb.jpg.befce5f61aa7c3e6cfe24738c8703c6b.jpg

Many thanks to Ruth and John for the surprise message this morning and what an excellent result for their trip. 

Hope you all enjoy them.

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 6

They are super images Damian thanks to Ruth and John for allowing you to share them. 

I bet its the only way you like to see the moon 

• Like 1

anyone doing a trip to winscar tonight its meant to be a clear sky tonight I'm gunna head down about 8-ish

12 minutes ago, adam_sage said:

anyone doing a trip to winscar tonight its meant to be a clear sky tonight I'm gunna head down about 8-ish

I might just pop down. Depends on how things pan out. Will see you there if I get out. If you change your mind text me to let me know 

23 minutes ago, adam_sage said:

I'd be tempted, but I think my wife is going out, so childcare duties trump unfortunately.