Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The inaugural StuPOD, winner announced!

Stu

1 hour ago, oobydooby said:

Well I'm a little bit peeved that my submission was not even considered.  Perhaps next time I should send it in instead of keeping it to myself.

Oobydooby, the slate is clean now, do send in your entry for the next award!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

This has to become a regular feature on SGL

I hope so Jules. So long as the images come in, I'll keep choosing :)

Perhaps we can open up to afocal too and have a smartphone and afocal winner? Let's see where it goes

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Just wait until I get a phone and learn how to use it, I'll show the lot of you!.   :evil4:

"Smart" phones are too damn smart for their own good, mine keeps second guessing me, thinks it knows better than me what I want to do, usually just trying to make / answer a call after wading through all the other stuff that keeps popping up :icon_scratch:

Dave :icon_santa:

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

And does this count, I took the photo (of the computer) with my phone...?

24042015864.jpg

If that counts so does this, as I took the photo with my phone too.  Especially since it contains evidence of alien life. ? Groundbreaking science happening here  

also if you look there is a telescope in it too  

IMG_3008.JPG

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

If that counts so does this, as I took the photo with my phone too.  Especially since it contains evidence of alien life. ? Groundbreaking science happening here  

also if you look there is a telescope in it too  

I can trump that, I've just managed to snap this image with my Nokia. Uranus AND Neptune in the same frame - and look how much detail there is of the cloud formations. Forget StuPOD I think this is one for APOD. Just to confirm, that mottling in the background is the integrated flux nebula, not a doggy bag.

temp.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I found myself on the outer edge of the universe, nay, not universe, but the Multiverse. 
I was positioned about ten light years from the entire view.  Surrounded by a brilliant halo of light, the countless photons
pouring out from the countless universes, each depicted by a blob of intense illumination.
The halo surrounded the scene, but stationary, unable to escape the boundary that held it there.
No Olber's Paradox here. I was on the edge of time itself, where a few more light years would see time extinguished.
The knots of individual universes are linked by visible strings, the conduits of time  that enabled me to transport to the viewpoint I occupied.
Retrieving my Box Brownie, I took this picture of all there is to see. 
Drink it in, because soon I fear the triple A batteries are going to die soon and the vision will die too.

Multiverse.jpg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Stu said:

Oobydooby, the slate is clean now, do send in your entry for the next award!

Oh, wait a minute!  All my pictures were taken on a cheapo camera through the eyepiece.  Don't think that qualifies them!

:icon_albino: DOH!

1 hour ago, oobydooby said:

Oh, wait a minute!  All my pictures were taken on a cheapo camera through the eyepiece.  Don't think that qualifies them!

:icon_albino: DOH!

Oobydooby, feel free to submit them. I think we may expand this to Afocal imaging in general with a smartphone and camera category. It's all very informal and on an as and when basis so no issues.

Jules, drop any adocal images you would like to submit in here too.

Stu

• Like 1

My offering. Sol through the eyepiece of a Lunt 35mm solar telescope with a pocket camera hand held.

Would this be a worthy entrant?

I have added a second picture which will surely not qualify as it is so bad, even after Photoshopping in an attempt to get finer detail out of it.

DSC00545.JPG

sun with small camera.jpg

Edited by oobydooby
added another picture
  • Like 4

Ha ha astro photography and lunar aint me but single unstacked frame of the moon through the eyepiece with a galaxy S6. 

20160918_003607.jpg

Yes it's complete rubbish I mean who the hell wants to look at that all night! 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Ha ha astro photography and lunar aint me but single unstacked frame of the moon through the eyepiece with a galaxy S6. 

20160918_003607.jpg

Yes it's complete rubbish I mean who the hell wants to look at that all night! 

Great shot Damo! You could be in with a shout with that one!

• Like 2

Well, entries are slowing after initial interest has died down. My chances of regaining the crown have increased :)

Tonight's offerings are taken using an Orion Optics VX12L, the full disk shot with a 20mm ES 100 degree eyepiece and the close up using a barlowed 18mm BGO.

IMG_8055.JPG

IMG_8056.JPG

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well, entries are slowing after initial interest has died down. My chances of regaining the crown have increased :)

Tonight's offerings are taken using an Orion Optics VX12L, the full disk shot with a 20mm ES 100 degree eyepiece and the close up using a barlowed 18mm BGO.

Crikey Stu, those are amazing. Were they with the iPhone or the PAS?

Either way you're a deserving winner of your own award :)

• Like 1