Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The inaugural StuPOD, winner announced!

Stu

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

I may have to disqualify this one on the grounds of excessive competence ;)

39 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Not my image, but here's Jupiter taken with a Dob and 4k smartphone.

D6RPiNe.jpg

From here on Reddit, the equipment and exposure details are a few posts down.

Beautiful capture, but not bad enough :grin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kerrylewis said:

My capture of the Mercury transit in May. Really pleased that I caught the black drop effect!

01 - 1 (1).jpg

You're supposed to put your whisky glass down before you take the picture Kerry :grin:

Dave :icon_santa:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, barkis said:

HehHeh!  Are you kidding Olly?   I bet Monique and you have one apiece :icon_biggrin:

Not a bit of it, Ron! I had my first mobile only about a year ago and it's a flip phone designed for grandmas, according to the sales person who dealt with me. I can never find it, hate being cluttered up with it and can never remember the number when people ask. I dont 'txt'  under any circumstances. I consider the thing to be one step up the food chain from rap music...

:happy11:lly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Not a bit of it, Ron! I had my first mobile only about a year ago and it's a flip phone designed for grandmas, according to the sales person who dealt with me. I can never find it, hate being cluttered up with it and can never remember the number when people ask. I dont 'txt'  under any circumstances. I consider the thing to be one step up the food chain from rap music...

I bought my wife one of those granny mobiles, she keeps sticking it in a draw and the battery is always flat if I try to ring her :icon_scratch:

Dave

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Yeah!   I know they're not everyone's cuppa.   My Mrs is like that,  When I got my Smarty,  I gave her my little Blackberry Curve, which can be used as a simple phone for phone calls,  however,  she's  terrified of it,  and not used it once in  2 years. 

• Like 1

Smartphones may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I genuinely believe that they are driving sensor technology forward at an increasing pace, and that will feed into imaging in all areas in the future.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2016 at 11:12, Stu said:

I may have to disqualify this one on the grounds of excessive competence ;)

Ah, but several iterations of a sharpening filter reveal a swarm of brightly coloured satellites, and if that isn't proof of something-or-other I don't know what is.

31572755835_9a1c3b4601_o.jpg

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 2

The biggest challenges I've found with this form of imaging are as follows:

1) Positioning of the sensor relative to the exit pupil.

As can be seen in a number of these images, getting the sensor positioned so you are in the correct place is challenging! It often involves holding the phone away from the eyepiece a little way (depending upon the eyerelief of the eyepiece). That in itself is tricky, and can lead to stray light hitting the sensor, particularly in solar images.

2) Focus. The auto focus sometimes works ok, but manual focusing with an app does help results.

&

3) Exposure. The standard response for auto exposure is to over expose due to the dark background, this kills any detail on Jupiter for instance. Again, using an app to allow manual control of exposure helps a lot with this.

I use ProCam 4 on my iPhone which works well for me. Plenty of others around though.

One other issue for me is that my iPhone 5 was much more convenient and easier to hold or mount, but the sensor and processing on my iPhone 6 Plus is significantly better. It's much more of a pain to mount though so I tend to hand hold it.

This is my best Jupiter to date, hand held using ProCam 4 and processed on the phone using PS Express.

IMG_2951.JPG

• Like 7

Oy!, some of these images are for too good to appear under this topic.
The excellent rotten Images are now being  being diluted with APOD  quality. What the hell is going on here?
I was hoping I could win a competition like this, now the pot hunters have infiltrated,
and my hopes of the rottenest picture of the year has been sabotaged.
Not happy, and I'm now stamping my feet in my computer room. and the Wife has just shouted up and bollocked me, as the Xmas baubles have
all fell off. I don't know where she's been hanging them, we ain't got a Xmas Tree.
So c'mon guys, crappy Images only here, there's other place you can show off  :hmh::hmh::hmh::hmh::hmh::hmh::hmh:.

• Like 4

I once had a mobile phone that took pictures - I took quite a lot and transferred them to my PC alright but in the end I filled up the memory and couldn't find out how to delete them :eek:  I also tried texting once but couldn't get on with it.  I gave up and bought a simpler and smaller phone for emergencies only but that's not much use round here as there are far more "not spots" than "hot spots" !!!  Computers I can handle - mostly - but mobile phones are double dutch to me.