Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn Spring 2016

Roysten

Hi Guys,

I've seen some fantastic images posted on here this year which never fail to inspire me to get out and try to capture some images myself. I haven't had too much time or luck with the weather to get out this year and obviously summer limits options, as many have said Saturn and Mars opportunities are sadly becoming quite limited.

Still I thought I'd share my efforts, which whilst not a patch on what I've seen posted is still a big step forward from my captures last year. I'd appreciate any comments or advice that people can offer.

These were captured using a Skywatcher 150P + EQ2, ASI120MC, videos centred and cropped in PIPP before stacking in Registax-v6.

Jupiter 30-03-16.png

Jupiter+moons.png

Saturn + moons2.png

Saturn6.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Jupiter image is starting to show some detail, Small scopes will tend to dig less out to a degree. Not sure what elevation you was at. or what the seeing was like. All these things will tend to determine any result. Saturn is just plain difficult at this years low elevation. Jupiter will be returning soon. Though its going to be even tougher this year around the 30 degrees Mark. But you can still get reasonable results at this elevation. Its a fascinating hobby. I started with 6" dob just looking around. It can get addictive. And expensive. Cheers for posting

Thanks guys, I think I got into astrophotography at the wrong time with Mars and Saturn very low in the sky for the foreseeable future and not the best elevation for Jupiter coming up either. That said I'm not going to let it stop me and it's nice to get the positive feedback.

Neil, you're right about things getting expensive! I've decided to hold off on buying any more additional kit until I've made the most of what I've got, I'm hoping to get some good images with the 5× Barlow lens I got in the summer.

Star Forming, thanks for toe comments, I think the first shot of Jupiter is my favourite too.

Archived