Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on a portable triplet refractor for under 2000€

Good evening guys,

I'm in the market for a triplet refractor for dso imaging that is also portable enough to be carried on a plane. Furthermore, since I already own a Skywatcher Explorer 200 PDS, I would like to stay below 600mm of focal length for my new 'portable' scope. I was considering the Skywatcher Esprit 100 but after reading about some of the early issues with the lens housing and problems with the stability of its focuser, I was wondering if it's the best scope for my money and intended purpose. I've been looking at all the other options within my price bracket and so far I haven't found a suitable alternative. I've read a lot of good things about the WO-FLT98 but the focal length is a bit to long and apparently it has already been discontinued!? Are there any other alternatives that I have missed? Could you recommend a reasonably priced telescope with high quality optics that is portable enough to be carried on a mountain/plane?

Cheers,

Patrick

I've just ordered the Esprit 100. I like that it has a field flattener specifically matched to the scope. Also a threaded connection can be achieved for the imaging train, which is what I wanted.

The native f ratio of 5.5 is also pretty fast. I've seen some images on Astrobin with a 0.8x reducer, which gives a wider field of view and makes the scope even faster. The corner stars looked good.

The scope comes with tube rings too so I can easily mount my existing guide scope on top.

Regarding the focuser from what I understand it's straight forward enough to adjust if needed. I like that it's 3" as I'll be attaching the flattener, filter wheel and my asi1600 camera on the end.

I ordered from the forum sponsor with the check and tune service included for the optics.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2016 at 09:44, Andyb90 said:

I've just ordered the Esprit 100. I like that it has a field flattener specifically matched to the scope. Also a threaded connection can be achieved for the imaging train, which is what I wanted.

The native f ratio of 5.5 is also pretty fast. I've seen some images on Astrobin with a 0.8x reducer, which gives a wider field of view and makes the scope even faster. The corner stars looked good.

The scope comes with tube rings too so I can easily mount my existing guide scope on top.

Regarding the focuser from what I understand it's straight forward enough to adjust if needed. I like that it's 3" as I'll be attaching the flattener, filter wheel and my asi1600 camera on the end.

I ordered from the forum sponsor with the check and tune service included for the optics.

Andy.

I am thinking about getting the same scope.

Has yours arrived ?

If so whats your thoughts on it.

Archived