Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

gnomus

Pickering's Triangle Bicolour - PI Only Experiment

For reasons unknown, we experienced a good night here last night.  Indeed, I managed to get 5 hours of data during 'Astro Dark' - all of it with reasonable guiding.  I had an hour of Ha  from the previous evening.  So this made 9 x 20 mins of Ha and 9 x 20 mins of OIII.  All captured using the Esprit 120 and the QSI 690.  Filters were 3nm Astrodons.

I did my pre-processing in PixInsight.  The stacks looked reasonable and I just 'kept going' in PixInsight.  This is PixInsight with no Photoshop whatsoever, which is a first for me.  It is reasonably clean but my original plan was to get at least 6 hours of Ha and OIII, and I may carry on with that.  As usual, I'd appreciate comments and criticism.

07_HistTrans.png

Edited by gnomus
  • Like 10

Lovely misty 3D quality to that Steve, really like it.

Is that the full FOV of the scope / camera, are you using a reducer ?

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MattJenko said:

Lovely. Only a bazillion more panels to go :)

Thanks Matt, but this will have to remain just a detail - if I was in my twenties then there may be time....

9 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Lovely misty quality to that Steve, really like it.

Is that the full FOV of the scope / camera, are you using a reducer ?

Dave

Thanks Dave.  It is the full FOV (just cropping out the rough edges).  I have the Skywatcher flattener for the Esprit.  Not sure if they do a reducer - Barry Wilson suggested that the WO reducer/flattener might work with it.

Thanks also to Michael and Sara.

Edited by gnomus

Excellent Steve.  Nothing to suggest as this is a super image.  All PI too . . . . :icescream:.  Lights blue touch paper and walks away . . .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Excellent Steve.  Nothing to suggest as this is a super image.  All PI too . . . . :icescream:.  Lights blue touch paper and walks away . . .

Shhh.  Don't tell Olly....

Cracking image Gromit - er I mean Gnomus :)  Absolutely beautiful :)

• Like 1

Thank you Peter and Gina for your kind comments.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alexbb
      I've been less active lately in this hobby, but I've a few images done, others waiting in the pipeline to be processed.
      This is a "crowded" area of our Milky Way galaxy, visible all summer from the northern hemisphere. The Cygnus constellation is home of many named and nameless nebulae.
      Starting from the left (North), below the brightest star, Deneb, the Pelican and the North America Nebulae are very popular; going to right, just below the brightest star close to the center of the image, Sadr, lies the Gamma Cygni Nebula. A bit towards the top-right there's the Crescent Nebula and going forward top-right, there's the Tulip Nebula. Finally, at the bottom-right corner, the Veil Nebula, a super nova remnant.
      All these are surrounded by shiny gaseous filaments or dusty patches blocking the light.
      I started this during the pandemic lockdown. All of the data was captured from my hometown from a balcony brightly lit by a sodium street lamp, but the narrowband filters did their job well, blocking successfully the sodium emission.
      A total of 23 hours is made of 2x3 panels composed in a larger mosaic, each panel consisting in about 1h of exposure for the red Hydrogen and 3h of exposure for the cyan Oxigen, all through a Sigma 105 macro stopped at F/4, ASI1600MMC with 6nm Astronomik filters.
      I'm planning to shoot RGB data too and make an RGB/HOO composition.
      Cheers and clear skies!

astrobin link: https://www.astrobin.com/r22yre/
      flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/170274755@N05/49939128338/

• By steppenwolf
      IC 1871 – Part of the Soul Nebula

Description
      IC 1871 is a very busy region of the Soul Nebula, Sh2-199. The Soul Nebula itself is often referred to as IC 1848 but in fact, this is the designation of a star cluster within the nebulosity. The Soul Nebula is located within the Perseus Arm of the Milky Way in the constellation Cassiopeia at a distance of around 7,500 light years from the Earth with IC 1871 situated on the north-eastern edge of the nebula.
      IC 1871 is rich is Ha emissions but less so in OIII which makes this region an ‘interesting’ challenge especially for bicolour imaging as displayed here, despite there being other regions within the Soul Nebula where there is a greater density of OIII emissions. If I could afford a 3nm SII filter, I would have used that too but I can’t so I didn’t!
      The nebula also plays host to some fascinating dust lanes that produce some great additional features to contrast against the bright ridges of glowing gas clouds. Within these gas clouds, large cavities have been sculpted by radiation and winds from the region's most massive stars. The dense star-forming clouds of IC 1871 are an example of ‘triggered star-formation’, a theory that suggests that the compressed edges  of the cavities caused by the outwards push of the radiation and wind cause the region to produce successive generations of new stars.
      Image Stats
      Mount: Mesu 200
      Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150
      Flattener: Sky-Watcher Esprit specific
      Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
      Filters: Astrodon 3nm Ha, 3nm OIII
      Subframes: 15 x 1800 sec Ha, 28 x 1800 sec OIII
      Total Integration: 21.5 hours
      Control: CCD Commander
      Capture: MaxIm DL
      Calibration, Stacking and Deconvolution: PixInsight
      Post-Processing: PhotoShop PS3
      Cassiopeia
      RA
      02° 59' 41.0"
      DEC
      +60° 41' 4.0"
      Distance
      ~7500ly

• By MartinB
      This has been a bit of a project.  Last year I worked out that my 200mm Canon F2.8 lens and ASI1600 would frame the whole of the Veil complex quite nicely.  I captured Ha and OIII data for the east and west nebulae with a Tak FSQ 106 and added this into the widefield image.  Although the Tak data had to be shrunk down it did add a bit of extra resolution where it was needed.  
      The difficulty for me has been the processing.  I have found it really difficult to tease out the faint wisps of detail and have tried the usual routines of micro contrast adjustments using curves along with Scott Rosen's Screen blend/mask inversion method but the results weren't great owing to the close proximity of faint and bright nebulosity.  I'd heard about the PI process tool for removing stars, Starnet, so loaded this and had a rare foray into PI.  This proved very helpful.  It was a luminence created from Ha and OIII using the 200mm lens with the Tak data mixed in.  Then the starless layer was added in PS with the screen blend mode at 50% opacity.  The nebulosity detail was so well preserved I didn't need a mask.  After blending I reduced the stars a bit more using the starless layer again and darken as the blend at 50%.  I should really unleash some of the stars to add a bit of "punch" but I've wrestled with this data enough for now!  I plan to use it further as I look deeper into the Gorgon that is PixInsight!
      Telescope: Tak 106 for E and W veils.  Canon 200mmL lens
      Camera: ZWO ASI 1600 pro mono cmos, Gain 150, offset 50
      Filters: Baader 7nm OIII and Ha
      E+W Veil 10x30 mins each channel for each nebula.  Whole complex 50x5mins for each channel
      Captured with SGP, calibrated, aligned and combined with PI, processed mainly with PS but PI for Starnet.  Ha mapped to red and OIII to both blue and green

• By Anne S
      I've been imaging Thor's Helmet for the last couple of nights in Ha and O3. I notice that RGB data can be used to correct star colour. What exposure is recommended to capture the stars and how many should I take? It looks as if I've one more clear night for the time being.
      Thanks
      Anne
    • By alexbb
      This came as a bonus target, I didn't really plan to shoot it, but I took the opportunity to grab some frames before astrodark or with the DSLR or waiting for other targets
      So this is a mix of everything:
      10x2min Ha with the ASI1600 and 130PDS on the AZ-EQ5.
      11x3min Ha with the ASI1600 and Esprit80 on the AZ-EQ5.
      19x5min Ha with the ASI1600 and Esprit80, 11 on the AZ-EQ5, 8 on the EQ6-R.
      15x5min Oiii with the ASI1600 and Esprit80 on the AZ-EQ5.
      74x90s with the DSLR and 130PDS on the AZ-EQ5.
      For a total of 5:34h.
      Crop of RGB, HOO and HOO-RGB.
      Which are your thoughts before I call it the final version?
      Clear skies!
      Alex

Edit, final:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.