Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

Lovely session this evening imaging Jupiter and Mars. Thought I'd take a couple of pics of the dome and scope under the stars and moon light. 

Added a simulation image of Mars and I could see most of the features present. Be interesting to compare with any suitable image that I've taken from last night. 

PSX_20221113_014927.jpg

PSX_20221113_014704.jpg

PSX_20221113_015033.jpg

Screenshot_20221113_124005_com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6pro.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Pic and more comments added
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Orion and Mars over the dome. An unexpected Mars session this evening, or should I say early morning, lol. Lovely though until the cloud's rolled in. 

PSX_20221116_021505.jpg

PSX_20221116_021033.jpg

Superb images, Nigella! Love the feel of the dome with the starry backdrop.

• Thanks 1

Tonight was a night of surprises:

1. A gap in the cloud cover

2. a few snow flakes on the corrector of my Mak-Newt when I closed the roof of my observatory

3. Two winter guests

460C0834-16A6-4946-A5FF-862A770863CC.thumb.jpeg.7c51ec42fb2ddb1b40c8db0853699dbd.jpeg
I don’t know how these two lacewings got in my scope, because a Mak-Newt is supposed to be a closed tube design. For the time being, these two critters can stay where they are. Most likely they will die when it gets really cold, and the bodies will end up behind the primary mirror. If I ever get the Feathertouch focuser that I ordered, I will need to open the tube anyway, at which time I will try to remove them.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Tonight was a night of surprises:

1. A gap in the cloud cover

2. a few snow flakes on the corrector of my Mak-Newt when I closed the roof of my observatory

3. Two winter guests

460C0834-16A6-4946-A5FF-862A770863CC.thumb.jpeg.7c51ec42fb2ddb1b40c8db0853699dbd.jpeg
I don’t know how these two lacewings got in my scope, because a Mak-Newt is supposed to be a closed tube design. For the time being, these two critters can stay where they are. Most likely they will die when it gets really cold, and the bodies will end up behind the primary mirror. If I ever get the Feathertouch focuser that I ordered, I will need to open the tube anyway, at which time I will try to remove them.

This is baffling to me, I have seen other posts with bugs inside sealed OTA's unless you left the eyepiece off without a cap in the diagonal then how in the world do bugs get in? leaves me stumped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

3. Two winter guests

I don't specifically know about Mak Newts, but the Mirror cell on a Newt is often somewhat free floating from the tube walls, so although it's closed at the top, it's not necessarily hermetically sealed at the mirror end. 

I managed to leave one of my Mak Cass's stored without a cover to the visual back and got a spider inside.  I can only guess it starved to death. :(

An Oil Filter removal wrench* allowed me to remove the front correction plate and clear away my unwanted guest and the remains of its web

IMG_20220406_174911.jpg

* get one with a strap rather a chain** (hopefully you'd realise that a chain wouldn't be appropriate) - also, before removing the correcting plate, use 2 pieces of tape on the OTA and the end collar to allow you to return it to the original alignment. 

** top tip - also useful for very stuck jamjar lids.  

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

My planetary imaging rig. Pictured is my Orion 127mm Mak, ASI224mc and laptop with Firecapture and Registax 6 at the ready. This was taken in 2018 during the great Mars opposition of that year. I usually use my 180mm Mak for planetary imaging, but the 127mm is a little more photogenic, lol.

1301114007_ASTRONOMY-TELESCOPEIMAGINGWITHZWO8-04-18.thumb.jpg.fb8976f64c138b70d73c1e20f0e71f73.jpg

Time to set this up again!

Clear skies!

Reggie

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sunshine said:

This is baffling to me, I have seen other posts with bugs inside sealed OTA's unless you left the eyepiece off without a cap in the diagonal then how in the world do bugs get in? leaves me stumped.

5 hours ago, allworlds said:

I bet a little insect could crawl through the gap between the primary end cover and the tube.

Or one just flies in while you're changing EPs?

5 hours ago, Gfamily said:

I don't specifically know about Mak Newts, but the Mirror cell on a Newt is often somewhat free floating from the tube walls, so although it's closed at the top, it's not necessarily hermetically sealed at the mirror end. 

I managed to leave one of my Mak Cass's stored without a cover to the visual back and got a spider inside.  I can only guess it starved to death. :(

An Oil Filter removal wrench* allowed me to remove the front correction plate and clear away my unwanted guest and the remains of its web

* get one with a strap rather a chain** (hopefully you'd realise that a chain wouldn't be appropriate) - also, before removing the correcting plate, use 2 pieces of tape on the OTA and the end collar to allow you to return it to the original alignment. 

** top tip - also useful for very stuck jamjar lids.  

They should be bnamed houdini flies. The backside of my Mak-Newt is closed, and I only use the scope for imaging.

RS1864_S11550_Starlux190_OTAOnly_RightRear_NoBackground-scr_1800x1800.jpg.093891d092f651fdc6cd003ae59bc2e2.jpg

The camera only comes off at the end of astro season, unless I need to fix mechanical issues. And if the camera comes off, I close the focuser tube with a plastic cap. The only gaps are around the focuser draw tube and where the collimation screws pass through the back plate near the primary. (I've replaced the stock screws with Bob's knobs.)

RS1858_S11550_Starlux190_OTAOnly_LeftFront_NoBackground-scr_1800x1800.jpg.6e87c2f443ae8ebe8032ab3f957ecd87.jpg

The holes at the front are covered with a fine mesh just to keep bugs and dirt out. The 2" to 1.25" adapter that is visible in the photo is not in my setup. I attach my camera directly to the 2" draw tube. But with the draw tube at best focus position, there is a very narrow gap around it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Another Mars session this evening and Jupiter thrown in before it got to low and my hedge gets in the way. Can't believe how clear it was despite the challenging cloud's zipping by. Dome nicely illuminated by a street light before they all go out at midnight, lol. 

PSX_20221118_215249.jpg

Your dome shots top themselves every time, it’s beautiful!

2 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Another Mars session this evening and Jupiter thrown in before it got to low and my hedge gets in the way. Can't believe how clear it was despite the challenging cloud's zipping by. Dome nicely illuminated by a street light before they all go out at midnight, lol. 

PSX_20221118_215249.jpg

Love the dome shots. What size is it?

• Thanks 1