Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

10 minutes ago, josefk said:

...erm. Doubles i think tonight 😉

IMG_3273.jpeg.5d3c01c636995bd238ccae8a70e3dae9.jpeg

I jest by giving you a “haha” emoji but that’s a really moody photo, very nice. Crop out the red lights and you could hang that.

Also, a spotting scope I see. I too use a Kowa scope from time to time.

Magnus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

I jest by giving you a “haha” emoji but that’s a really moody photo, very nice. Crop out the red lights and you could hang that.

Also, a spotting scope I see. I too use a Kowa scope from time to time.

Magnus

Thank you. It's Burghley Park Stamford - it's a great spot and i'm lucky it's on my doorstep. It is a spotting scope and i use it for grab and go - i can't justify an astro scope in this size while i have the spotter. The IP rating was handy tonight! i sometimes wish i'd looked harder at Kowa a few years ago as it would have given me EP freedom. Do you bump up the power on yours or stick to wide field? Cheers

Edited by josefk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, josefk said:

Thank you. It's Burghley Park Stamford - it's a great spot and i'm lucky it's on my doorstep. It is a spotting scope and i use it for grab and go - i can't justify an astro scope in this size while i have the spotter. The IP rating was handy tonight! i sometimes wish i'd looked harder at Kowa a few years ago as it would have given me EP freedom. Do you bump up the power on yours or stick to wide field? Cheers

I've just migrated onto my laptop where I can see your sig, and as I suspected from the silhouette your spotting scope is a Swarovski, very nice! My GnG is a Kowa TSN-883, and yes I did get their astro adapter and regularly use my other eyepieces. It can take 150x quite happily, I haven't gone higher yet but I have just acquired a 1.6mm Vixen HR and plan to see what 319x looks like through it in decent seeing. Changing between non-Kowa eyepieces is a bit of a pain though, involving unscrewing the threaded 1.25" adapter, undoing the concealed grubscrew/s, swapping the eyepiece and vice versa.

EDIT: I also notice you have the Swarovski 15x56 bins. I have the Zeiss Conquest 15x56s, which are superb ... it would one day be very interesting to compare side by side.

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 3

On 11/10/2022 at 04:25, Barry-W-Fenner said:

300p & Morpheus collection out last weekend for some much overdue observing time.

IMG_20220917_194247242.jpg

IMG_20220917_194307223.jpg

Now that is a nice chair

7 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

I've just migrated onto my laptop where I can see your sig, and as I suspected from the silhouette your spotting scope is a Swarovski, very nice! My GnG is a Kowa TSN-883, and yes I did get their astro adapter and regularly use my other eyepieces. It can take 150x quite happily, I haven't gone higher yet but I have just acquired a 1.6mm Vixen HR and plan to see what 319x looks like through it in decent seeing. Changing between non-Kowa eyepieces is a bit of a pain though, involving unscrewing the threaded 1.25" adapter, undoing the concealed grubscrew/s, swapping the eyepiece and vice versa.

EDIT: I also notice you have the Swarovski 15x56 bins. I have the Zeiss Conquest 15x56s, which are superb ... it would one day be very interesting to compare side by side.

That description of the Kowa makes me a bit jealous - i bought the Swarovski when i didn't need it for double duty under the stars (i had access to my sons 120mm "semi-portable" frac at the time but he has fully reclaimed that now). That meant i could focus on pure "birding qualities" and the Swarovski won out at the time (i didn't really future proof the choice). I really enjoy the flat field and it is sharp edge to edge but i'm only stressing the glass at 30x to 70x and with extender to 120x so not stressing it at all really.

SLC 15x56 bins - these would be the last bit of optical equipment i would ever give up. "Out of my cold dead hands" as the rather unsavoury quote goes. I know from reputation and reviews your Zeiss are probably the same. I've said it before but i can never get over i can be filling the EP with a little shore wader during the day and a few hours later filling the same EP with Andromeda!

I guess from your sig your also a birder?

Edited by josefk
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, josefk said:

I guess from your sig your also a birder?

Very much so. Not only do I use my Kowa (like your Svarowski) for astro, I have also used my MCTs for birding. Very high FL scopes are superbly useful across wide mud-flats in cool still air.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, powerlord said:

All setup for tonight. And a few weeks with the big boy. Just had it stripped down, mirror cleaned,  recollimated, and ready for some dsos. 🙂

20221104_145116.jpg

Wow that's a big canon of a scope! and I didn't know that palm trees grew in Suffolk 😂

• Like 1

On 29/09/2022 at 15:08, Stu said:

Beautiful! Whereabouts are you?

Hello Stu and everyone, it is in Yosemite at Glacier Point when my association is invited for a weekend and share our scopes with the public.

The sky is very dark, breath taking vistas, on a couple of occasions saw the moon rising from behind Half Dome around 2:00a.m.. Lots of tourists from every corners of the globe, it is truly a very special experience Although we have to be careful with the "natives", meaning coyotes and in particular bears and others.

If you ever come this way, you absolutely have to visit the numerous National Parks, all are breathtaking. One thing never leave any food in your car otherwise those bears will open your car like a sardine can!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VNA said:

Hello Stu and everyone, it is in Yosemite at Glacier Point when my association is invited for a weekend and share our scopes with the public.

The sky is very dark, breath taking vistas, on a couple of occasions saw the moon rising from behind Half Dome around 2:00a.m.. Lots of tourists from every corners of the globe, it is truly a very special experience Although we have to be careful with the "natives", meaning coyotes and in particular bears and others.

If you ever come this way, you absolutely have to visit the numerous National Parks, all are breathtaking.

6 hours ago, VNA said:

One thing never leave any food in your car otherwise those bears will open your car like a sardine can!

😱😱🤣

Wonderful! Yosemite is one place that I would really love to visit at some point.

• Like 1