Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil Nebula in Ha

ChrisLX200

It was a short session tonight of course, and together with some cloud interference (not to mention the bright Moon) I only managed 5 x 20min. Still, better than nothing and it was good to get out with the scope again after a 2 week break. I was hoping to get all the Veil in one, well I nearly did - but it appears faint filaments extend off the top and bottom of the frame.

TV NP127is, Moravian G4-16000, Chroma 3nM Ha filter, 10-Micron GM2000HPS unguided.

Veil%20Nebula%20Ha%20ST_zpspujgkdhe.jpg

It's worth looking at the full res image - click the (+) button on the PhotoBucket page.  http://s970.photobucket.com/user/ChrisLX200/media/Astro - Images G4-16000/Veil Nebula Ha ST_zpspujgkdhe.jpg.html

ChrisH

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, swag72 said:

That's looking great so far! How about a mosaic to get it all in? LOL!!!!

Thanks Sara, but you said the 'M' word...! :-)   Jokes aside, I have never tried the 0.8x focal reducer with this camera, I doubt it would work without severe distortion showing up in the corners but maybe worth a try. I'm still waiting for the TV Large Field Corrector to show up to address the problems I already have.

Chris

I did it as a 4 pane mosaic in the past but had problems getting the panes to match perfectly.  When I get my widefield triple imaging rig finished I should be able to get it all in one frame.

Thanks all! For mosiac, I could have got it in two frames - now it would have to be three :( 

I added 5 more subs last night and there's dpressingly little by way of improvement. Very small increase in s/n and a bit more faint detail resolved. I expected more improvement to be honest, so it will be the OIII next I think - or maybe another target until the Moon has gone is a better idea. I've got quite a backlog of needed OIII subs (and SII) now.

This is crop from the top-right corner(s) showing the difference - and the issue I'm having with distortion at the field edges. This isn't tracking, or camera tilt, or anything like that - simply that the big FOV needs the TV LFC corrector...

Veil%20Nebula%20Ha%20ST%20compare_zpsj8y

ChrisH

I don't think there is any more to give,

In fact there is some very faint detail that's come through

that I don't think I have seen before,

Looking forward to seeing this with the OIII,

I don't know how you managed to squeeze these subs

in with the weather we have been having, any tips

on your cloud [removed word] Techniques :)

well done Chris

Paul

Thanks Gina and Paul!

These were the first 2 nights for a couple of weeks that were clear(-ish) so I need tips on cloud [removed word] Techniques myself... Not looking good for the next 2 weeks either as we move into July, a month with plenty of rain and sparse clear skies. Having the 10-Micron mount and being meticulous with focusing means I haven't lost a sub for... well, since I got the 10M mount :-) Um.. no, that's not quite right, SGPro had lost me a few subs until I figured out a work-around for its memory handling issues with these very large images.

ChrisH

On 6/22/2016 at 22:13, ChrisLX200 said:

It was a short session tonight of course, and together with some cloud interference (not to mention the bright Moon) I only managed 5 x 20min. Still, better than nothing and it was good to get out with the scope again after a 2 week break. I was hoping to get all the Veil in one, well I nearly did - but it appears faint filaments extend off the top and bottom of the frame.

TV NP127is, Moravian G4-16000, Chroma 3nM Ha filter, 10-Micron GM2000HPS unguided.

Veil%20Nebula%20Ha%20ST_zpspujgkdhe.jpg

It's worth looking at the full res image - click the (+) button on the PhotoBucket page.  http://s970.photobucket.com/user/ChrisLX200/media/Astro - Images G4-16000/Veil Nebula Ha ST_zpspujgkdhe.jpg.html

ChrisH

Beautiful.  When you say unguided, do you mean without any software input--like no encoders, or plate solving or any adjustment at all--just the normal mount tracking?  That's impressive.  Also impressive is the FOV for the 127.  What is the resolution of this combo?  I am in search of a big sensor with little pixels.  The Moravian camera would get the entire veil with the 101, but I fear the resolution would be almost 4 as/p.  

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Beautiful.  When you say unguided, do you mean without any software input--like no encoders, or plate solving or any adjustment at all--just the normal mount tracking?  That's impressive.  Also impressive is the FOV for the 127.  What is the resolution of this combo?  I am in search of a big sensor with little pixels.  The Moravian camera would get the entire veil with the 101, but I fear the resolution would be almost 4 as/p.  

Thanks! Yes, it's unguided but the mount does have absolute encoders forming a feedback loop to the motors so PE is essentially non-existant. At this shorter focal length the mount is not stretched at all, I just re-use the mount model saved from the last time I ran one (a couple of months ago). It points and tracks perfectly so setup consists of attaching the OTA to the mount, powering up, then a simple fast slew to target co-ordinates (no plate solving needed) and start imaging. Well, after waiting for the OTA to cool anyway... :-) With the ODK12 I really need to run a new model each time I set it up to get the pointing and tracking accuracy at the longer focal length (2040mm)

Image scale with the Moravian G4-16000 and my NP127is is 2.8 arcsec/pxl, which is probably a fair reflection of the average seeing around here most nights.

ChrisH

Thanks Olly! I wish I had your skies though :)  I did manage to collect just three OIII subs last night whilst dodging intermittant cloud but, as this is one object that never worked very well for me as a bi-colour, I will need all three channels for sure. A mosaic is not actually difficult to do but given the paucity of clear skies I always have far more targets than imaging time. At the moment it looks like cloud/rain for as long as the forecasters care to speculate :(

ChrisH

Archived