NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from South Alabama

cpittman35

Hello from South Alabama.  I just bought my first telescope a week ago, Celestron Astromaster 130eq with the motor drive, and looking forward to learning how to use it.  Now if I can get the weather to cooperate so I can get out there and try to take a look see. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome. Hope you enjoy your time on the forum. Just a little note on your scope (I have the same one, but rarely use it now); you may find it easier to use without the motor drive fitted. The motor works reasonably well to keep the object in view longer. The main downfall with the motor fitted is you lose the ability to use the slow motion control for right ascension (I.e. East west movement) when the motor is fitted. I found it better to take the motor off and just use the slow motion controls directly. Unless you are at a really high magnitude, you should easily be able to keep any oblects in view. Try it out with the motor and without and see what you think, when any clouds clear of course.

Clear skies! :) 

43 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Hi and welcome. Hope you enjoy your time on the forum. Just a little note on your scope (I have the same one, but rarely use it now); you may find it easier to use without the motor drive fitted. The motor works reasonably well to keep the object in view longer. The main downfall with the motor fitted is you lose the ability to use the slow motion control for right ascension (I.e. East west movement) when the motor is fitted. I found it better to take the motor off and just use the slow motion controls directly. Unless you are at a really high magnitude, you should easily be able to keep any oblects in view. Try it out with the motor and without and see what you think, when any clouds clear of course.

Clear skies! :) 

I took the motor off as soon as I got it out of the box.  All the research I did before buying the scope said I really wouldn't need it.  It was an additional $10 for the motor so I said what the heck.  Now if the weather will cooperate so I can get out and have a look see.  Been raining and cloudy since I got it last week. 

13 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Greetings and welcome to SGL - it's nice to have you aboard!

We love finding answers to questions in all branches of astronomy, so don't be shy!

Clear and dark skies,

Dave

Thanks.  I'm sure I'll be posting a bunch of questions :)

So what's it like in Alabama right now?

It's hot and sweaty here in middle England - for a change! We're having some exciting weather - building up to a storm - so we can kiss goodbye to observing tonight.

ps I enjoy living up to the 'British-are-obsessed-with-the-weather' stereotype (mainly because it's true!). ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On June 7, 2016 at 11:04, lulu57 said:

So what's it like in Alabama right now?

It's hot and sweaty here in middle England - for a change! We're having some exciting weather - building up to a storm - so we can kiss goodbye to observing tonight.

ps I enjoy living up to the 'British-are-obsessed-with-the-weather' stereotype (mainly because it's true!). ;)

It's disgustingly humid and hotter than hades :) 

Clouds and rain have been enemies #1 and 2 :( 

Welcome, I had an astromaster 130eq as my first scope and really liked it. I did end up removing the motor though, and IIRC the drawtube flapped about a bit, but this can be cured by removing it, sticking a strip of duct tape to it and putting it back together, so it sits in the focuser a lot tighter.

Archived