Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt 50THa and LS50C double/single stack.

Pete Presland

I have been asked a few questions and seen a few discussions online regarding the double stack (LS50c) for the Lunt50THa. So I thought it might be interesting to post a couple of images without and with the Double stack. Both these "RAW" images are 2 pane mosaics taken with my DMK21au618 with no sharpening at all, as I didn't want to influence the comparison. Both are also stacked in Reg6 and combined ICE.

Double-stacking reduces the bandwidth from <0.7 to <0.5 Angstroms. I am no Solar imaging expert and more skilled imagers would maybe get more out of both set ups, but the difference is clear to me. Whether it says more about the single stack than the double I will others to decide  :icon_biggrin: 

Just to add the conditions were far from suitable to be honest, with high haze around all the time and the seeing pretty average as well. This accounts for a loss of contrast in both images, but I guess its still a valid comparison.

As for the cost? Obviously a very personal thing, for me it transforms the Lunt50THa and I am delighted with its performance.

2016.05.27 single stack RAW.png2016.05.27 double stack RAW.png

Fascinating comparison, thanks for posting.  My 80mm Lunt is crying out for double stacking but I just can't justify the cost at the moment. Examples like this prove that it has to be done though, at some point! 

Iain 

Nice comparison, Pete.

I think the difference between single stack and double stack is "wowwwww!" vs "wowwwwwwwww!" :D

I much preferred observing using the double stack on the SolarMax 60, it was more contrasty making detail easier to see. I used single stack for my grab and go (we had two SM60s). It's a very worthwhile visual upgrade I think, but single stack is brill too if that's what fits budget. If only h-a cost similar to white light!

20 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Very interesting Pete, do you get the same impression visually ? my LS60DS does show a difference visually, single versus double, but not as much as your pic's.

Dave

I find the difference between them varies from session to session, depending on features/conditions. Certainly far more consistent difference when imaging, compared to visual.

Nice comparison, Pete.

The differences are pretty dramatic.  I've considered dbl-stacking my 60, but for the added cost, I'll likely just get an 80 single-stack... mostly for the close-up stuff.

Thanks for posting this.

Clear Skies

<Belatedly> Certainly shows the MERITS of double stacking.
Alas, hard to justify such a thing on my budget... :o

Since I have pretty much crawled all over this scope I cannot
help but think about the idea of replacing the 50mm f/7 with
an 80mm f/7 (in appropriate tube). That would work, No? :)

I know people do make these "Frankenscopes"? IN theory
my B600 blocking filter would cope with f=350 --> f=560? 
Would it be SAFE? Must be a catch or the proper Lunt 80's
(admitedly with a B1200 BF ) wouldn't retail at £4000??? :D

Archived