Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I was doing some solar observing and was puzzled by the haze i was getting in the eyepiece especially as my white light scope was showing clear. After some checking found that the entry lens on my B600 blocking filter has something on it, see picture. Tried cleaning it off with an optical cloth but it remains. 

Has anyone got any ideas what is the problem and what to do about it, is it something that I can do myself or will it require sending to Lunt for fixing.

image.jpeg

Looks like the coatings have failed. If it's in warranty then contact the vendor. If outside the warranty, then Lunt will advise. It will be worth posting on Solarchat as well...I'm pretty sure that Ive seen a similar failure over there too.

Hi.

This exact thing has happened to both me, and to my local club. My B1200 BF developed this "haze", and so did the club's B1200 BF.

In both cases, I contacted Lunt in the USA directly, attaching pictures showing the fault. In both cases, replacement glass pieces were sent out, free of charge. It is simple to replace the glass, as long as you are carefull and have something fine and sharp handy to remove the blobby glue/putty stuff at the very edge of the retaining ring. This is only in place to protect it during shipping anyway.

I actually asked for a couple of spare pieces too, and they were kind enough to send a couple.

However, in discussing what causes it, nothing was forthcoming. They didn't even respond to my questions! One of my observing friends has used various cleaning chemicals on this to see, but nothing has shifted it. My own prsonal theory, and it is just a theory, is that it's an organic contaminant in the actual coating on the glass, that has become active during constant heat & cool cycles over the months and years of use.

I'm sure that if you contanct them, you'll be up and running in a matter of days - couple of weeks tops.

Hope this helps!

Ant

I have noticed a while back mine was not crystal clear.  It has a thin 'cloudy' layer but nowhere near as thick as the images posted by you claymore.  Mine is too thin to affect the view so far but that may change as time goes on.  I store mine with silica gel but it makes little difference especially as it could be minerals not moisture anyway.   

I think Lunt would send you another one if you speak nicely to them.  Also the cleaning process looks easy on the link but you must be careful not to alter the properties of the lens.  Be safe & gain advice direct from the manufacturer first its not worth risking you eyesight :( 

3 minutes ago, Claymore said:

Thanks for the advice, will check with Lunt, unfortunately there website seems to be not working.

You are right, the EU one is not working but the USA one is.  Maybe some bank holiday maintenance is being carried out?

Was still having problems with their website so sent them a question via Facebook. Faye responded quickly and looks like they're going to send me a replacement part.

Thank you for your help and thanks to Faye at Lunt for excellent customer service.

FYI adding a UV/IR filter of good quality (Baader / Astronomik e.t.c.) will afford extra protection to the blocking filter and extend its life, whether it is oxidization (old Coronado filters?) or this issue with Lunt filters...

I have a Baader 1.25" UV / IR filter permanently mounted on my BF and have not noticed any image deterioration from employing the filter.

Wish I could say the same about the horrid seeing this summer which really impacts on the views, but thankfully it has improved in the last few days.

Archived