Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGLXII Star Party Bookings Open 6th June

Grant

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

The newbie to star parties  is booked in yeeeeees. A great birthday treat for self. Can't wait.

My Ian (Astronut) will be 58 on Friday 28th October, when we arrive...I'll bring a bottle of fizz and some cake - you'd be very welcome to pop around our tent and celebrate your day with us!

7 minutes ago, lulu57 said:

My Ian (Astronut) will be 58 on Friday 28th October, when we arrive...I'll bring a bottle of fizz and some cake - you'd be very welcome to pop around our tent and celebrate your day with us!

sounds like a plan Lulu. Ruth will be with me so I will also supply a bottle of nice fizz see you on the 28th

Woo hoo! It's practically a party already!

(Don't let me drink too much fizz, or I might start singing Jeff Buckley songs at you...I think there are people on this forum who have been Scarred for Life by my Bad Noise at Lucksall before...:shocked:)

ps I'm a sad old git really - usually fast asleep by 12!

1 minute ago, lulu57 said:

Woo hoo! It's practically a party already!

(Don't let me drink too much fizz, or I might start singing Jeff Buckley songs at you...I think there are people on this forum who have been Scarred for Life by my Bad Noise at Lucksall before...:shocked:)

ps I'm a sad old git really - usually fast asleep by 12!

Now that i find very hard to believe !

Which bit is hard to believe? The sad-old-git-bit? The Bad-Noise-Woman-bit? The gets-in-a-tizz-over-fizz-bit?

I wil simply refer you to the long-suffering and utterly luvverly mod MikeP, who looks forward to seeing me at SGL every year (but I think he's quite glad it's in short bursts!). He only occasionally has to moderate my posts now - I'm getting better! Everyone's friendly at SGL star parties, so it'll be easy to escape when you've drained your glass(!) Looking forward to meeting you both!

33 minutes ago, lulu57 said:

(Don't let me drink too much fizz, or I might start singing Jeff Buckley songs at you...

I see no problem with ANYONE singing Jeff Buckley songs

2 hours ago, Ally8446 said:

I see no problem with ANYONE singing Jeff Buckley songs

How very open-minded - good for you!

Luckily for everyone, my mate Nicnac won't be there and I usually only murder 'Wait in the Fire' when she's with me. (I blame her entirely!;))

I shall be a very model of propriety and decorum! :wink2:

*Sigh*

When I heard that the date had shifted to Oct I hoped I'd be able to make it during our 2 week half term but it hits the last w/e so not do-able again.

Maybe when I retire.

3 minutes ago, Freff said:

Tich your Welsh accent is coming on fine, you'll be fluent by the end the year. 

With this & the Brecons earlier Tony it's going to be a busy month ;-)

I realised last night as I was turning in that I *could* make SGL 12 :hello2:. Yay!

Booked for Friday and Saturday but hope to be around for Sunday lunch before heading home.

I've only been a member here for 7 years *Irony* but this will be my first SGL and my first camping trip, so I'll probably have loads of questions that need answering. Hopefully I'll find them in other threads without having to ask.

8 hours ago, DaveS said:

I realised last night as I was turning in that I *could* make SGL 12 :hello2:. Yay!

Booked for Friday and Saturday but hope to be around for Sunday lunch before heading home.

I've only been a member here for 7 years *Irony* but this will be my first SGL and my first camping trip, so I'll probably have loads of questions that need answering. Hopefully I'll find them in other threads without having to ask.

Nice one Dave I understand there will will be a crèche for newbies of which I am one so no prob's we'll have a great time.

Would be awesome to come to this & meet SGL members.  However without a car the logistics are somewhat more awkward for lugging stuff there plus no camping gear... :p  er... Perhaps I could make a day trip and do an all-nighter and return in the morning...  Would I still need a "pitch"? ;)  Doubt if i'd bring anything - OK, maybe a small frac & photo tripod.

Is the site particularly dark? Seems quite close to Hereford...

On 08/06/2016 at 09:30, DaveS said:

Excellent news Dave, look forwards to meeting you in person.

Dave

On 06/06/2016 at 16:35, lulu57 said:

Also bought two new insulating mats to go under the air beds, in celebration (and to stop our bits freezing off).  ;)

AFAIK the best way to stay warm is to have insulation on top of an air mattress, not below it.

https://ncys82.wordpress.com/2013/04/06/how-to-insulate-your-air-mattress-against-the-cold/

2 hours ago, Davesellars said:

Would be awesome to come to this & meet SGL members.  However without a car the logistics are somewhat more awkward for lugging stuff there plus no camping gear... :p  er... Perhaps I could make a day trip and do an all-nighter and return in the morning...  Would I still need a "pitch"? ;)  Doubt if i'd bring anything - OK, maybe a small frac & photo tripod.

Is the site particularly dark? Seems quite close to Hereford...

Hi Dave

If you just "visiting", then no, you don't need a pitch - there'll be plenty of space to set your tripod up.

You can still book food (curry Friday, Hog Roast on Saturday) if you wanted...

Thanks, Daz!  I'll see what to do a bit closer to the event.  Possibly there's a B&B close by I can stay at for one night.  Up to what date does the food need to booked?  I'm thinking the Sunday lunch maybe a good idea though! :)

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Excellent news Dave, look forwards to meeting you in person.

Dave

Likewise, Dave.

As an aside, I wonder how many Dave / Davids will be turning up? :D I have visions of someone calling out "hey, Dave" and half the members turning round :eek: :D.

I've also taken the trouble to paint out the white LEDs on my red / white head torch with red nail varnish, making sure that no gleam of white shows through. It's annoying enough for me when I accidentally turn the white on (Usually when turning the red off, D'oh), don't want to do it to others.

I'll also order a red screen for my lappie from FLO

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

Likewise, Dave.

As an aside, I wonder how many Dave / Davids will be turning up? :D I have visions of someone calling out "hey, Dave" and half the members turning round :eek: :D.

I've also taken the trouble to paint out the white LEDs on my red / white head torch with red nail varnish, making sure that no gleam of white shows through. It's annoying enough for me when I accidentally turn the white on (Usually when turning the red off, D'oh), don't want to do it to others.

I'll also order a red screen for my lappie from FLO

Yes I've got one of those, you have to pinch it to turn it on so I usually manage to turn the wrong one on, mind you some folks red lights are pretty blinding :)

Also got a nice solid red screen from FLO, just needs a bit of blue tack on the corners to stop it sliding off at an inopportune moment.

Just been to get my Meade tripod back from loan to try and mount the 10 Micron on it and lo and behold the screw holes line up so it just bolts on :eek:

Dave

5 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

awAFAIK the best way to stay warm is to have insulation on top of an air mattress, not below it.

https://ncys82.wordpress.com/2013/04/06/how-to-insulate-your-air-mattress-against-the-cold/

Well, blow me down! I've not only learnt about the physics of bed-warming, I've learnt what AFAIK means too! (I had to look it up!) And in such a concise post too, Mike!

You are the Master, I am your Padawan Learner! ;)

Archived