Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!

spaceboy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys but your not helping my mood by rubbing it in :p

Hope it stays clear for you all but I have no chance here at present. Thankfully with a 7.5 hr's transit time it might just be worth me holding my breath to hopefully grab a glimpse.

14 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

Thanks guys but your not helping my mood by rubbing it in :p

Hope it stays clear for you all but I have no chance here at present. Thankfully with a 7.5 hr's transit time it might just be worth me holding my breath to hopefully grab a glimpse.

To keep you company, it's clouded out here too, and it doesn't look promising! The tripod's set up, just in case.

Ian

10 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Never mind there's another one in 2049 :evil4:

Dave

Apparently November this year there is one then 2049 :p

2 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

To keep you company, it's clouded out here too, and it doesn't look promising! The tripod's set up, just in case.

Ian

Set up my kit yesterday in zealous excitement. Imaging may be out of the window but at this point I will be happy just catching a visual glimpse. I will keep optimistic!

N.Wales: Started clear-ish. Really overcast around 10 a.m. - Thundery looking?
Now into rather clearer zone with sunshine! Our USUAL high cloud layer is still
there of course... but getting sunspots via the Video Cam for the moment... :o

Not happy at all here in the New Forest - and to put the icing on the cake it's started to rain!!!!  Hopefully it will pass and clear up - about 7:30pm probably :(

Pphhhtttt.jpg

--

Mark

Having got wiped out by cloud for the transit of Venus I legged it north out of London to keep ahead of the clouds. 

Managed a good two hours viewing in Huntingdon before the hazy clouds took over. Result!

1: Spend the morning feverishly getting my Blue Peter on making filters for scope and finder

2: Watch clouds roll in

3: Eagerly fidget around the garden waiting for break in clouds

4: Retreat from rain

5: Drown sorrows with fine ale

:icon_rolleyes:

9 hours ago, spaceboy said:

I DON'T BELIEVE IT !!!!!! What happened to all that clear blue skies and 30°c sunshine :angry5: Missed Venus transit due to cloud and now Mercury:BangHead: Just what is wrong with this bloody countries weather !!!???

I feel for you mate. However, today has been the best day in recent recorded history in our neck of the woods. The Sun is still visible approaching sunset.

A big difference from a week and a half ago (29 April) when we had 2" snow and the temperature didn't get much above 6DegC for 2 days. 

And don't get me started on last winter; normally I keep a pair of wellies at the back door but I had to upgrade to waders....

Here's a couple of stacked images taken using Coronado SolarMax 1 with an DMK 41 cam. (Hope it's OK to post on your thread.)

Best,

Mike

Merc Transit 2.jpg

Merc Transit 3.jpg

Thanks guys for your compassion. Despite the skies and the weather forecast across several different sites stating otherwise the bulk of the cloud thinned just enough that I caught the best part of the transit in the end. Still not ideal with a higher haze robbing the surface details of any contrast between cloud breaking but I am over the moon that I had the opportunity at all given what the dull morning and so call forecasters predictions.

12:13 and big old cloud shifted and I cought glimpse of first contact through a skattering of haze. It remained the theme for most of the afternoon with only fleeting moments of blue skies. I gave up trying to image the event by 14:30 having only managed a couple avi's but none the less a moment captured in time even if I dont get a good final image out of it. Having thrown in the towel and packed up for home, sods law the clouds broke and blue skies adorn the heavens. I soon realized upon my return some and setting up the st120 that the cloud had been replaced by a stiff breeze bringing it's own set of challenges. 

I did manage another 30-40 mins of some clear and rather good seeing allowing me to visually take in the rather nice sun spot 2542 as well as Mercury sitting opposite with a group of smaller sun spots 2543 sat between these two dominant features. Ironically it wasn't the cloud or rain that closed play but the wind. Even a short tube refractor on the more than capable steel legged AZ4 had the views dancing around once the wind came barreling up the exposed end of my garden. Strained eyes told me to make the best of the next 5 minutes and to call it an end to a successful Mercury transit :)

I don't know if anyone got the chance to see first contact in Ha but it looks like Mercury made its way through or very near to a small prom before reaching the limb. I'm sure this would have made for a great image if the skies had been more forgiving.

I hope others were able to have a glimpse of this event as it is quite surreal to see this little perfect black dot make its way across the surface and think this is a planet going about its day in front of this gigantic ball of light.

9 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

I don't know if anyone got the chance to see first contact in Ha but it looks like Mercury made its way through or very near to a small prom before reaching the limb. I'm sure this would have made for a great image if the skies had been more forgiving.

I watched that through the Quark - it was absolutely brilliant! I was hoping that someone would have imaged it but I haven't been able to find one.

4 minutes ago, DRT said:

I watched that through the Quark - it was absolutely brilliant! I was hoping that someone would have imaged it but I haven't been able to find one.

I've seen one posted somewhere Derek, I'll try to find it

7 hours ago, DRT said:

Looks like Alex got it ??

Archived