Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wadas forum

WADAS

Tonight was brilliant. Loved getting out and doing a bit of visual work again. Damian - thank you so much for treating us to a view through your scope. Saturn! Wow! Honestly can't believe it. 5 moons, the Cassini division and detail on the planet itself. Unbelievable! Will check my sketch later to try to identify the moons we viewed. Just staring at my pile of gear on the lounge floor and thinking about my bed. I'll write a bit more later as I need sleep...... Zzzzzzz..... Going to bed a happy astronomer :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe we waited all that time for the clouds to clear and they cleared when I was half way home glad you saw some stars finally and Saturn look nice

Hi all,

Thanks for an enjoyable evening. You guys really are a friendly bunch, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend meeting you for the first time in dark car park in the middle of nowhere to anyone. :icon_mrgreen:

Turned out to be good night once the clouds had cleared, I was pretty much ready to give in and head home but glad I held on!

Damian - what can I say but wow!! That scope is mightily impressive in all regards. Saturn was awesome and M13 blew my socks off :icon_cyclops_ani:!!! It was a bit like looking at the pictures on the front of the box my 60mm Tasco came in all those years ago :blink:

5 hours ago, Marci said:

We definitely need summat larger than our 4.5" newt...!

Yep me to, I think I now have a bad case of aperture fever! Guess I better start saving my pennies.

Looking forward to the next outing. Hopefully minus the midges and clouds.

Very pleased with my 3x3 minute vids of Saturn, it was low and a bit gloomy by the time i got round to it, but non the less pleased for my first effort, yes it looked awesome thro the Giant Dob of Damians, think there were 8 of us there at one stage, I was thinking of going about 15mins before Damian shouted star spotted, then someone shouted I can see 3 stars, within 5 mins it was clear ******** amazing considering we had sat around for what seemed like eternity lol

Eric

Just got back from leyburn area of North Yorkshire. No internet or 4g only limited phone connection. 

Glad you all had a good time last night we had cloud so watches a little owl hunting till about 11:30 

Up and fed so sat down for a read through the thread.

Many thank's to everyone for attending, it was a joy to get out and chat away. Firstly under 3 hours of clouds, then for the couple of hours we had viewing.  Sorry that Lee and Neil headed home early.

The clouds finally gave way at half 1 then it was a mad scrabble to set up. Unfortunately we had lost a little faith with the clouds at the outset so after 20mins everyone was more or less taking in the heavens.

Vicky was just strolling around a bit like mother hen making sure everyone was o.k. and enjoying the views through everyones equipment.

Marc and Helen battled to get an image onto their camera chip, Eric had a revelation with the Videos and great to hear and see the excitement in his achievement.

Rich had success with a couple of objects and M13 was a fine find. Glad to have you on board and a relief we were friendly enough to meet in a dark car park:happy7:

Everyone had a good view through my scope and thank you all for the compliments. 

More of the same soon I hope 

On Saturday, June 04, 2016 at 13:07, mapstar said:

If the seeing's good M51 will blow ya sock's off.

***WARNING this could cause aperture fever!*** 

9 hours ago, Marci said:

We definitely need summat larger than our 4.5" newt...!

2 hours ago, rich6626 said:

Yep me to, I think I now have a bad case of aperture fever! Guess I better start saving my pennies.

I should've gave more warnings :help:

11 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I'd loved to have hung around longer, but I was in bed before you even got your scopes out, and today I've already had a nap on the sofa as it wasn't enough sleep.

In bed for 4am up at just gone midday. I feel like a nap now myself!

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

In bed for 4am up at just gone midday. I feel like a nap now myself!

In bed at 4-15, up at 8, cut grass, walked to garage to get 3 aaa batteries for head torch as mine conked out on me and i broke my glasses at Winscar also, couldnt get aligned at first after 2 attempts, Vicky thought the alt clutch was slipping, yes it was so tightened it up, had an hour on sofa, now looking at the Saturn Vids with a sense of relief and achievement that I hung on in at Winscar. 

Viewing notes from last night. After consulting the charts I don't think I sketched Enceladus. I believe I saw the 4 moons I have sketched below. I also sketch 2 objects I can't identify which were probably background stars too faint for Stellarium. Anyway, it was good fun :)

IMG_20160605_190245.jpg

2 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Love the wobbly looking Saturn :happy7:captured it great there through the 8E 

My sketching skills are legendary lol. Still wondering if it was Enceladus and Rhea on the left hand side with Titan out of view below Rhea.  We were viewing with the 8mm Ethos EP, and it is difficult to comprehend the scale as everything is so mahoosive when viewed through that scope! Enceladus just seemed too close on the computer simulation to how I'd sketched it. Anyway, I will probably never know, but it was his fun doing the little sketch whilst viewing Saturn through that incredible scope of yours Damian :)

1 minute ago, Vicky050373 said:

My sketching skills are legendary lol. Still wondering if it was Enceladus and Rhea on the left hand side with Titan out of view below Rhea.  We were viewing with the 8mm Ethos EP, and it is difficult to comprehend the scale as everything is so mahoosive when viewed through that scope! Enceladus just seemed too close on the computer simulation to how I'd sketched it. Anyway, I will probably never know, but it was his fun doing the little sketch whilst viewing Saturn through that incredible scope of yours Damian :)

It depends on the time I put in Ursula? I couldn't remember the time you did the drawing? Not sure what time I put in maybe 2am? 

22 minutes ago, mapstar said:

It depends on the time I put in Ursula? I couldn't remember the time you did the drawing? Not sure what time I put in maybe 2am? 

I think I put in 2.15am as I did the sketch the second time I looked through your scope. Having looked at the computer image again at that time I think that it could have been Enceladus and Rhea, with Titan out of the FOV below Rhea. My angles were far from perfect, but I think it was more likely to be Enceladus and Rhea and I can't believe I wouldn't have seen Enceladus. I'm going to amend my notes.

Hmmmm, I believe it means I'll just have to have another look through your scope to check the scale of the 8mm EP ;)

Archived