Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wadas forum

WADAS

7 hours ago, Sam Baker said:

Hope Terry will recover soon, I'm sure you will need his assistance to carry your toys to the car when you're having a trip out with the group ?

Thanks Sam, I'm hoping this surgery finally sorts his problems out. By the way, I don't ask Terry to help me load my gear for my astro trips...... He'd see what I've got stashed away then!!!! ;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Terry's never OK, he's got me to live with! LOL

Thank you all for your well wishes. Hopefully, he will make a good recovery and get full use of his fingers again. Don't know where he'll go from here if not. The surgeon looked at his left hand whilst he was in surgery and warned him that he might "see him again in 6 months". Not good news, but what will be will be. 

Luke is well on his way to Paris on the school trip. Up at 3am for a 4am departure from the school. Thought there was only one 3 o'clock in a day! It's going to be very quiet around here until his return on Sunday night. Well, as quiet as it ever gets in our house with me about lol :)

Another dreary day again. Doesn't look like there will be any chance for astronomy again tonight :(

Obviously the Focuser you loaned me Vicky when you called the other evening is still in its box lol, the one for sale on here was soon snapped up as expected, I am looking toward the Skywatcher Crayford style fine tuner now.

Eric

<

I see the thread is in it's summer lull with not much activity of late.

With the shorted astronomical darkness it is always difficult to get enthused about heading outside to view the heavens but this time of year does hold some gems not to mention being warm! 

To the south we still have Saturn and Mars drifting along which are a challenge to view through so much atmosphere, below these the red hyper giant and heart of scorpio Antares with it's distinct red flashing gives mars a run for it's money . The summer triangle of Deneb (Cygnus), Vega (Lyra) and Altair (Aquilla) is nicely situated in the high eastern skies.

Lyra- M57 (NGC6720) ring neb and M56 (NGC6779) globular cluster

Cygnus-East and west Veil nebula (NGC6992 and NGC6960) will be a challenge, M29 (NGC6913) open cluster, M39 (NGC7092) open cluster, NGC6826 blinking planetary nebula

Aquila- NGC6790 Planetary nebula, NGC 6760 globular cluster

Sagitta- M71 (NGC6838) Globular cluster

Vulpecula- M27 Dumbbell (NGC6853)

The DLB is up at present but I have been checking the weather forecast for tonight and it looks like around midnight is going to be nice and clear so the scope will be at the ready.

I'm planning on getting out there tonight, I think there are some great summer targets in the summer triangle. Good highlights Damian, there are a couple on there that I haven't seen, so if they are high enough, I'll try and bag a couple.

Last nights session notes dont make for happy reading. 

No new targets and the seeing was very poor but nice to get out all the same. 

First up I had a look at M3 which was riding high in the sky and looked nice although a little washed out. M13 too and NGC6207 close by was a faint smudge with no detail.

M56 and M57 were both easily found and I spent quite a while on M57 trying to spot the central star. Various eyepieces, filters later and I thought I'd caught an averted vision glimpse but couldn't confirm it. I had a problem with the OIII filter threads I'd bought so emailed the seller today to return it. 

I missed the ISS first pass but caught it just before 1am chasing it with the dob and 17mm eyepiece to great effect.

M29 'the cooling tower' is a nice little cluster in Cygnus and Albireo looked impressive as always.

The Veil was just there but not a spectacular sight.

I triedMars and Saturn both looking o.k. but not much detail. Have to say I was struggling with foliage encroachment on each image with them being so low. Obviously not helping anything.

At around 2am the clouds bubbled up to put paid to what wasn't a very memorable session.

Scope took 12mins to rip down and store in the house which I've never really timed before so not bad really. 

45 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Last nights session notes dont make for happy reading. 

No new targets and the seeing was very poor but nice to get out all the same. 

First up I had a look at M3 which was riding high in the sky and looked nice although a little washed out. M13 too and NGC6207 close by was a faint smudge with no detail.

M56 and M57 were both easily found and I spent quite a while on M57 trying to spot the central star. Various eyepieces, filters later and I thought I'd caught an averted vision glimpse but couldn't confirm it. I had a problem with the OIII filter threads I'd bought so emailed the seller today to return it. 

I missed the ISS first pass but caught it just before 1am chasing it with the dob and 17mm eyepiece to great effect.

M29 'the cooling tower' is a nice little cluster in Cygnus and Albireo looked impressive as always.

The Veil was just there but not a spectacular sight.

I triedMars and Saturn both looking o.k. but not much detail. Have to say I was struggling with foliage encroachment on each image with them being so low. Obviously not helping anything.

At around 2am the clouds bubbled up to put paid to what wasn't a very memorable session.

Scope took 12mins to rip down and store in the house which I've never really timed before so not bad really. 

It was not too bad up at Huddersfield Damian, in fact really nice for the planets, we saw 3 ISS overpasses also

Eric

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Glad you managed to get up there Eric and have a nice evening.Vicky did say you were going 

We had a good night there - glad you managed to get out with your scope, even though you say you had a rather disappointing session.

It was a good night last night at the Huddersfield observatory. Really happy with the fruits of my labour imaging Mars, Saturn and Jupiter. We even managed to view 3 ISS passes during the night! Got back home at 4am after a very tiring but thoroughly enjoyable night with good company. Here are my images of Mars, Saturn and Jupiter. Taken using QHY5L-II colour planetary camera and 8SE, using a Celestron X-Cel LX 2 x barlow. All AVIs stacked in RegiStax6 and processed in PS Elements 11 (composite image) :)

Mars, Saturn & Jupiter 28.05.2016.jpg

with a nice clear forecast my evening went something like this:

* Watched The Bad Education Movie, while waiting for it to go dark and did a big of planning.

* Had a nap on the sofa

* Set up

* Got the binoculars out while waiting for the scope to cool. Had a look for the summer beehive, but couldn't find it. Wondered when the ISS pass was (maybe I could catch it in the bins): 2 minutes ago, whilst looking for the summer beehive!

* Collimated the scope, did a star check and alignment on Vega, quick look at the double double, not an easy spilt, think the seeing was poor, but they were both there. Started to go a bit milky, make sur eye view confirmed clouds.

* Read a bit whilst waiting for the clouds to clear. They didn't, they just got worse!

* Packed up and went to bed!

Archived