Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wadas forum

WADAS

Yup, just popped out and I can see Jupiter. Still a fair bit of high hazy cloud around. Don't think it'll be worth me getting the big gear out. Might have half an hour with the little frac on Jupiter. Can't be too late in bed. Terry's wound seems to be infected and he has an emergency appointment in the dressings clinic at Pinderfields at 8am. Hopefully, he's caught it early and they can get it controlled quickly.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summer triangle is prominent in the sky and looking well set. 

A few bits of cotton wool floating about but the forecast blanket is no where to be seen thank goodness. 

I should be making the best of it but bed is calling. Off while Monday so pinning my hopes on saturday to take tiny out for a trawl through the majesty of some sunmer constellations.

Yep Mars is looking super bright tonight!!! Took me by surprise - had to do a double take!!

Did try on Tuesday night to see Mars in between ISS passes, it was again mainly a wibbly red blob but had the odd few seconds of clearer viewing where I'm sure I could make out some slight variations in the surface colour, pretty exciting stuff!

It also appeared the scope is slightly out of collimation which became apparent at the higher mags so going to get a Cheshire and have another go at it :)

Heres hoping for clear skies at the weekend....

Forum playing up, last two pictures of Noctilucent clouds over Kielder this morning... Wouldn't let me add a comment!

oh and a quick capture of Brocchis cluster for old times sake ;)

hope you all got out, and hope Terry's hand is OK Vicky, hope it's nothing to do with the fish and chips he is stashing down there!image.jpeg

Been out in the back garden with the scopes since 11.30pm - high cloud has just started to drift in gradually from NE, and sat-feeds showed a thicker wave following it due to show up between 3 & 4am. My nose had also begun to get dribble, so have just shunted everything back to the shed and come in.

Spent most of the time locked on to Arcturus, trying to get both scopes and both finders aligned on the same target... which involves craftiness with 2x 8mm spanners. Unfortunately not enough lateral adjustment in my current diy-bodged side-by-side mount so need to rethink that tomorrow whilst further pondering on my eq-wedge design.

Gave the motorised focuser a good test out and please to say that it works brilliantly. Not much joy with the cameras tho - more play time needed, preferably with something more substantial in view - from our back garden, no north view at all thanks to 60’ conifers. South restricted by the house. West restricted by 20’ tall hawthorne and elderflower going ballistic. Always pretty much tend to end up looking straight up!

Lovely photos Soupy. Can't wait to get my first look at noctilucent clouds. 

Sounds like you're having fun getting your set-up sorted Marc. Think a trip out is definitely on the cards, as I need better horizons to try to do some planetary imaging before they disappear :)

30 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Lovely photos Soupy. Can't wait to get my first look at noctilucent clouds. 

Sounds like you're having fun getting your set-up sorted Marc. Think a trip out is definitely on the cards, as I need better horizons to try to do some planetary imaging before they disappear :)

I maybe making the trip to Winscar on saturday so hoping they've got the weather right 

Sounds like a plan...!

Gonna sound like a MeteoGroup pimp here, but I've been using WeatherPro and MeteoEarth apps for short & long term weather forecasting for about 10 years now (I think), back from sidecar racing days to work out whether we needed to take wets with us - highly recommend them, with subscription to the premium service. They've been infinitely more reliable and accurate than MET for a while, with realtime precipitation, lightning and cloud radar / satellite imagery and models. Well worth checking out on iOS & android ;)

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

I maybe making the trip to Winscar on saturday so hoping they've got the weather right 

Fingers crossed as it does look promising for Saturday night. Think I'll make the trip down if it's clear as it has good southern horizons there.

Terry's hand had started with some infection around the stitches. They have removed some of the dissolvable stitches as he was reacting to them, and given him a course of antibiotics. He says it feels a bit better now some of the stitches are out. Were just hoping the abx kick in without the infection taking hold as they've said he'll have to have more surgery if the infection gets worse :(

1 minute ago, Vicky050373 said:

Fingers crossed as it does look promising for Saturday night. Think I'll make the trip down if it's clear as it has good southern horizons there.

Terry's hand had started with some infection around the stitches. They have removed some of the dissolvable stitches as he was reacting to them, and given him a course of antibiotics. He says it feels a bit better now some of the stitches are out. Were just hoping the abx kick in without the infection taking hold as they've said he'll have to have more surgery if the infection gets worse :(

Good if you could make it Vicky. 

Hopefully Terry will be on the mend now he's got that out of the way. 

2 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

I had a similar opp quite a few years ago. Luckily I did not get an infection. But what they never told me before the opp was that the nerves would not be protected anymore. Every time I forgot and accidently hit knocked the area it felt like an electric shock through the hand.  It took nearly 4 years before I could hold and use an electric a drill. Just hope he fairs better and no more infections. Best of luck.

Derek

16 minutes ago, mikeyscope said:

Nice images Damian, although NLC's are predominantly blue in appearance you often see a yellowish/green cast in the lower portions of displays nearer to the north horizon while the upper edge is often tinged with red all due to refraction through the ice crystals, looks like you have captured a little red here on the upper edge.

Mike

Little addition for Soupy there as they are not my photo's but I posted them on another thread.

I'm sure he doesn't mind, and being stuck up in that there Kielder in all that hardship to provide images of such visual spectacles 

Hmmm - anyone able to book monday off work (I’m not :( ), Sunday night looks set to be good til 3ish. Weather forecast inbound... now til midnight Weds (and tagged Kielder for @Soupy):

Run 1 - Cloud
Run 2 - Rain & Wind
Run 3 - Heat Map (localised on Winscar [aka Dunford Bridge])
Run 4 - Heat Map

Archived