New To Stargazers Lounge

gunfighter48

My name is Johnny and I a new member to the Stargazers Lounge.  I've been a visitor many times and decided to join up tonight. I've been in and out of astronomy 3 times and just got back into it about 4 years ago. I'm having a great time, given the weather in Western Washington!! I just got a TS 130mm F/7 refractor with the 3.7" focuser and am hoping to get first light with it this week. The weather prediction says good weather for the next 4 days or so. Now it the clouds will go away in the evenings!!!

I am guessing Washington State on the US west side?

First thought was Washington where the white house is, Washington Tyne and Wear in NE England, then Washington State.

Report back how you find the TS 130, actually with a TS no longer sure if you are Western US - they have to be imported and that is often lengthy.

Just said similar to another person - with the Mercury transit you may want at short notice a full aperture solar filter just to have the oppertunity to take a look.

On 5/2/2016 at 23:18, ronin said:

I am guessing Washington State on the US west side?

First thought was Washington where the white house is, Washington Tyne and Wear in NE England, then Washington State.

Report back how you find the TS 130, actually with a TS no longer sure if you are Western US - they have to be imported and that is often lengthy.

Just said similar to another person - with the Mercury transit you may want at short notice a full aperture solar filter just to have the oppertunity to take a look.

Yes, we're on the western side of the US, should have put USA by the State name!! Washington is divided by the Cascade Mountain Range. The west side of the state gets most of the clouds and rain. The clouds bump up against the mountains and have to get rid of the water in them to make it over the mountains to the Eastern side of the State.  The East side of the State is considerably dryer and much warmer. The is also much less population and light pollution on the East side. They get some excellent seeing conditions  through out the year. It was absolutely clear skies all day until 5:30pm then it clouded up so no observing tonight!! 

Archived