NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anotther Newbie

norriejam

I'm having a midlife crisis as in my mid 50s I have decided to chase a boyhood dream of taking up astronomy.

I've stumbled into this pretty much blind but never the less I bought my first telescope last week, an Astromaster 130EQ when it was on sale in Maplins. I had a look about online through forums and YouTube and most folk said it was fine for a beginner so I dived in.

What I wasn't ready for was the steep learning curve as it has taken me 5 days or so to get to grips with it all (maybe it's an age thing lol). I felt that the instructions that came with the 130EQ assumed some kind of prior knowledge but I worked through it and even had the misfortune of having to align the mirrors right from the off.

Anyway, if nothing else I've learned quite a bit this week thanks to resources such as this forum. Still not had the chance to do any star gazing as yet but I'm as ready as I ever will be and will no doubt bang my head off the wall a few more times until I know what I'm doing.

I look forward to learning and contributing in here over time.

Norrie

Hi Norrie,

Yes a slippery slope, but enjoyable when something goes right. The less you have of the good the more enjoyable they are. But do not let anything put you off, the rewards are great when they come and they will. eventually you will realise that you ain't a novice anymore! One day that will dawn on you to your surprise.

Have fun.

Derek

Hi Norrie and welcome to SGL - Good to have you on board and glad that you found us. Remember that none of us was born knowing any of this stuff, we all started from where you are now .... so if you have any questions then do ask.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Norrie and welcome aboard.

Don't worry, you'll soon find your way around the "know how" of things and you'll stargazing the heaven's. We all passed these "first" difficulties, plus you're in one of the best astronomy forums so ask for any help and you'll get it ! :smile:   

Hi Norrie,

Welcome to the SGL.  Hope the midlife crisis is going OK, I think I'd already had a couple by the time I reached 50, involving skydiving, and a motorcycle.  

It's worth having a read of this thread, if you haven't already found it.......... 

John

Archived