Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway 2017 Spring Gathering

Hi all glad you all got back safe, it was as so many have said a wet and windy but very enjoyable star camp yet again, pity the weather and skies were not as kind as they can be all though the few that remained into Monday got some idea of just how clear and awesome the skies are down there. Hope to see some of the first timers to the camp back  In autumn, on a lighter note I see the whisky pimpernel has struck and saved a somewhat meager looking Jura????, as they say they seek him here they seek him there that elusive pimpernel???.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

couple of wee  images  straight off camera, camera mounted on sky adventurer, not processed and a bit rough but hope it reflects how clear the skies can get down here. camera used is a astro moded canon dslr with a Samyang 14mm  f2.8/ wideangle lens.

cloud moving in.jpg

orion early evening.jpg

7 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I used a Skywatcher Star Adventurer head. These were first experiments with it really. I think it has much potential!

Interesting Gav,  got one of these myself last year and not really had a chance to play with it, any tips much appreciated??, Jim. 

Oh ye of little faith. Do you really think I can't tell the difference between different whisky expressions? Nice try Dawn ! :icon_biggrin:

Derren is a happy chappie and Damian is safe for the moment.:evil4: but only this moment.

Nice short film Gav. It will be nice to se a further one of longer length at after a later star party at Galloway. It shows the potential of the skies there.

Derek

I was dropping my kids off at before school club this morning when I saw the "What's On" notice board. Imagine my surprise when I spotted this ?

Not sure about the last paragraph, where it talks about healthy balanced diet. Seems a bit of an oxymoron. Take note Damian

IMG_0727.JPG

Nice post there Ian.

I have a few problems there within though!

Are ye noo calin Damian  a moron ? Ah sorry ma eyes were a  foolin me.  :p

Next point. A SLICE ! that would leave you and Damian in extremely short supply, not to say HUNGRY !

Mind you after a few good weed drams plus beers , "Preschool"  level would be about right for all of us ! :evil4:

16 hours ago, jamie56 said:

Interesting Gav,  got one of these myself last year and not really had a chance to play with it, any tips much appreciated??, Jim. 

I used different settings for all three timelapses:

The one in the van was with the head horizontal at 90º, pointing straight up. I then mounted the camera on the ball head so that it was level and could rotate horizontally around the y axis. I set the speed to 12x and took a frame every 10 seconds (I think). I discovered that the head moves through 180º and then starts back in the opposite direction - not sure if that can be changed in a setting somewhere to keep going all the way through 360º?

The day to night time lapse used the head in the same horizontal position as for in the van, but I reduced the speed to 6x and again took a shot every 10 seconds.

The night time time lapse was a bit different - I polar aligned the mount head and framed up the shot with Orion in the middle. The speed setting was sidereal so that it would track with Orion in the same position in frame. I then took continuous 45 second exposures. It really needed a whole lot longer of clear sky to make it any good! I regret not taking 30 or even 20 second exposures as the clip length would have been longer, but I got carried away by the clear sky and ramped up the exposure a bit! The important thing with this kind of time lapse is to have plenty of foreground interest moving through the frame, otherwise it can be extremely boring! Ideally I would have gone up to the Torhouse Stone Circle or something like that. Oh well, next time...

Good luck with yours and I hope you get some clear skies to have a play soon!

30 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I discovered that the head moves through 180º and then starts back in the opposite direction - not sure if that can be changed in a setting somewhere to keep going all the way through 360º?

They introduced a few new timelapse features a while ago, if you check your dial you can see if they're already loaded otherwise you can download the update.

Not sure if it increased the rotation to 360 degrees, can't see why it should be a problem as it tracks 360 in sidereal mode.

Dave

Couple if vid's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjpEJ4hZdXg

39 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

They introduced a few new timelapse features a while ago, if you check your dial you can see if they're already loaded otherwise you can download the update.

Not sure if it increased the rotation to 360 degrees, can't see why it should be a problem as it tracks 360 in sidereal mode.

Dave

Couple if vid's here

Ooooh, I like that, thank you Dave. I will have a play!

5 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

I used different settings for all three timelapses:

The one in the van was with the head horizontal at 90º, pointing straight up. I then mounted the camera on the ball head so that it was level and could rotate horizontally around the y axis. I set the speed to 12x and took a frame every 10 seconds (I think). I discovered that the head moves through 180º and then starts back in the opposite direction - not sure if that can be changed in a setting somewhere to keep going all the way through 360º?

The day to night time lapse used the head in the same horizontal position as for in the van, but I reduced the speed to 6x and again took a shot every 10 seconds.

The night time time lapse was a bit different - I polar aligned the mount head and framed up the shot with Orion in the middle. The speed setting was sidereal so that it would track with Orion in the same position in frame. I then took continuous 45 second exposures. It really needed a whole lot longer of clear sky to make it any good! I regret not taking 30 or even 20 second exposures as the clip length would have been longer, but I got carried away by the clear sky and ramped up the exposure a bit! The important thing with this kind of time lapse is to have plenty of foreground interest moving through the frame, otherwise it can be extremely boring! Ideally I would have gone up to the Torhouse Stone Circle or something like that. Oh well, next time...

Good luck with yours and I hope you get some clear skies to have a play soon!

Hi Gav,

Many thanks for your feedback,  had a play with it past night and will do again tonight, clear crisp skies at home just now. Many thanks again for your help, cheers

Jim

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

Couple if vid's here

Interesting Dave will need to check it out more 0 lay time yeeeee

23 minutes ago, jamie56 said:

Hi Gav,

Many thanks for your feedback,  had a play with it past night and will do again tonight, clear crisp skies at home just now. Many thanks again for your help, cheers

Jim

Excellent, I look forward to seeing what you've done. 

Bit typical that the skies are clear up there now we've all departed!!

Archived