Hello from Faversham, Kent

Steamer Phill

Hi everyone 

I'm a newbie to the site and to astronomy. I've just bought my first scope but have yet to get a clear night to give it ago. Hopefully the weather will cheer up soon so at the moment I'm just reading up as much as possible and looking at barlows and eyepieces. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, Phill.

You have the right idea: read, learn, then read some more and learn some more. That's a huge part of the hobby. But the most important bit is - have fun. Don't buy anything yet, just think about what you might want in future. Use your scope (the weather isn't always all bad) and then refine your thoughts on what you might want.

Until then, have fun.

Well had my first try tonight after a bit of fumbling around polar aligning the mount and playing with the set up on the the hand controller I was ready for alignment. After several failed attempts of trying to find the stars there was enough dew on the collector to sail a small boat across, so I decided to pack up for evening. It was then I realised I had put the latitude in as longitude which explains why it wouldn't point at the stars I wanted??oh well first lesson learned lol.

Archived