Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small scope Luna challenge

nightfisher

I propose a Luna imaging challenge but using scopes to a MAX aperture of 102mm, any method can be used like prime focus, A-focal or webcam/planet cam.

This is just a bit of fun, but i have seen some very good images done with rather small scopes, so get clicking and lets see what images get posted, Below is a simple single frame with TS80mm f7.5 and 1000D prime focus

post-8850-0-55915000-1443219478_thumb.png

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a couple of my favourites from this year so far. The almost full Moon was with a Nikon D3200 and x2 teleconverter on an Evostar 80ED on February 23rd.

moon2016_51.jpg.18586aa1feaabf491ff07dbc

This close up a day later was from an ASI120MM planetary camera at the native 600mm focal length of the Evostar, on a static mount on the bedroom window sill, allowing the target to drift across the sensor. 25% of 2000 frames stacked in Autostakkert!2, with wavelets in Registax v5.1.

moon2016_58.jpg.2a60fe41c7b04964f49dce17

Well done fellow Luna imagers, we already have some very good images coming through but keep them coming, as soon as i can get back out with the scope i will be taking some more with the TS80.

I bet we get some really amazing images posted here over time

I'll play...

Is it ok if I didn't use a telescope for my entry? This photo was shot with my Canon T6i and a Canon L Series 100-400mm zoom lens.

This shot was taken Feb. 14, 2016 as follows:

ISO-200, f9, 1/100 sec, 400mm, 30/40 images staked using Autostakkert 2 & postprocessed using PSCC

827-1d2_zpswhas0lc3.jpg

Some very good images already and please keep them coming, I hope this thread will encourage newcomers to hook up a camera and take some Luna images, after they see what can be done with fairly modest gear

Fantastic photos guys, loving the thread so I thought I'd get my gear outside tonight to have a bash. It's my first attempt at photography but got my 600d modded canon out and everything looked great in the live view. Turned the brightness level down so when I reviewed the pics on the camera all looked to be going ok. I went inside, loaded the card into registax, looked OK in the preview but just ended up with a browny looking pane. Any ideas? I'm obviously doing something majorly wrong so any help would be really appreciated. 

Dan

Hi,

New here (only took the plunge and got a scope and mount the day before yesterday) and also my first post. I've been dabbling with DSLR and telephoto zoom (Nikon DX with Sigma 150-600 f6.3 = 95mm) which got me interested in astrophotography. I do plan to use this lens as a scope for some images.

Took this hand held in December. I was after the Space Station at the time. The moon was taken at the same time (used it to set focus and exposure for the ISS) and I had to crop them to get them close together but they are kept to scale. Reminds me of the Death Star and a TIE fighter...

The Blood Moon was also taken with the same equipment last year.

I love the moon with the blue sky background above.

Cheers

Death Star and Tie Fighter.jpg

Blood_Moon_Hertfordshire.jpg

23 minutes ago, JayPea said:

Hi,

New here (only took the plunge and got a scope and mount the day before yesterday) and also my first post. I've been dabbling with DSLR and telephoto zoom (Nikon DX with Sigma 150-600 f6.3 = 95mm) which got me interested in astrophotography. I do plan to use this lens as a scope for some images.

Took this hand held in December. I was after the Space Station at the time. The moon was taken at the same time (used it to set focus and exposure for the ISS) and I had to crop them to get them close together but they are kept to scale. Reminds me of the Death Star and a TIE fighter...

The Blood Moon was also taken with the same equipment last year.

I love the moon with the blue sky background above.

Cheers

Death Star and Tie Fighter.jpg

Blood_Moon_Hertfordshire.jpg

Those are amazing shots I have to admit I have taken a few lunar with my canon 70-200 L and x2 tele extender hand held with good results.

Alan

Archived