Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Small scope Luna challenge

nightfisher

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Another one captured with the same equipment a few hours later after nightfall.

Moon 10-09-16 Mono.png

I dunno John, you wait ages for one, then two come along together ;) 

Lovely shot, and makes a great pair with the first.

The fun keeps on coming with this old/new frac :)

This is a 2.5xbarlowed mosaic captured in between the day lit and night time one when it was dusky. approx 20 frames from each pane as I was conserving power as I forgot a spare.

JPEG to save bandwidth.

Moon hi res mono day lit 10-09 small.jpg

PNG at 40% seems to be optimum viewing at full size. 18mb

Moon hi res mono day lit 10-09 40pc.png

Full size version 116.5mb in case anyone wants to have a go at getting any more quality out of it at that size.

Moon hi res mono day lit 10-09.png

and an invert at the same size

Moon hi res mono day lit 10-09 invert.png

Two Moon shots from yesterday evening. Both from the Nikon D3200 DSLR, with x2 teleconverter and Tamron 70-300mm zoom lens.

The first is a single RAW shot. The second is a 1920x1080px MOV video, with 825 frames captured, 75% kept in PIPP when converting to AVI, 328 frames stacked in Autostakkert v2.6 and wavelets in Registax v5.1, then cropped to 1000x665px in GIMP.

DSC_0120a.jpg

DSC_0122_pipp_g2_ap34a.jpg

Here's another I took on the 13th Sept.

Canon & 60mm tak at f6.2 1/640 on Star Adventurer. The second is a crop.

When looking with my 24mm panoptic beforehand I could also see the moon and Theta Capricorni in the same fov. I don't often see the moon and stars together through a scope. :) 

Moon Tak 1 640 f6.2 13092013.jpg

Moon Crop Tak 1 640 f6.2 13092013.jpg

Harvest Moon. Penumbral Lunar Eclipse. Taken early this morning 2:50am on the 17th September with a Tasco 17TR 80mm refractor, afocal shot with Hybrid mirror diagonal and my Fujifilm A170 compact digital camera over a Celestron 32mm eyepiece.

A few different edits.

DSCF2269 (Large)_FotoSketchersharpened 2x.png

Tasco 17TR_32mmEP_Afocal.png

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse (Large) Tasco 17TR.png

2 hours ago, Aussie Dave said:

Harvest Moon. Penumbral Lunar Eclipse. Taken early this morning 2:50am on the 17th September with a Tasco 17TR 80mm refractor, afocal shot with Hybrid mirror diagonal and my Fujifilm A170 compact digital camera over a Celestron 32mm eyepiece.

A few different edits.

They're smashing shots. The first I've seen clearly showing the shadow. I glimpsed it in between clouds last night but it looked fairly normal to me. I thought perhaps I detected a darkening near the top but then I wondered whether that's because I knew it should be :) 

6 hours ago, Scooot said:

They're smashing shots. The first I've seen clearly showing the shadow. I glimpsed it in between clouds last night but it looked fairly normal to me. I thought perhaps I detected a darkening near the top but then I wondered whether that's because I knew it should be :) 

It was very subtle Scoot, much less effect than a partial eclipse that has a more visual shadowed edge and area. Visually by eye I thought I could see it and it was hard to tell looking through the scope too but it was there. It showed more in my 50+ decent photos I kept. I should really do a stack but on single shot lunars I don't seem to have much luck aligning.

I'm sure my single exposure shown here is correctly orientated, we do live upside down here :)

12 hours ago, Aussie Dave said:

A few different edits.

2 hours ago, Aussie Dave said:

It was very subtle Scoot, much less effect than a partial eclipse that has a more visual shadowed edge and area. Visually by eye I thought I could see it and it was hard to tell looking through the scope too but it was there. It showed more in my 50+ decent photos I kept. I should really do a stack but on single shot lunars I don't seem to have much luck aligning.

I'm sure my single exposure shown here is correctly orientated, we do live upside down here :)

I stack mine in pixinsight using their FFT Registration script. You don't need to align them using this. Just nominate a reference image and then press apply. The stacking seems to work quite well on Luna images but it does take a while calibrating the subs.

Hey hey i finally get to post in the thread i started,

This is a single frame with ED80 and pentax optio using A-focal method, not overly happy with it and trying to process a movie, from same set up so might post that when i get registax to play, also i am having issues with the ED80 wont come to focus with my 1000D, but managed to get a couple of frames so might add another image later

a-focal single ed80.jpg

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Here's my pic of last year's supermoon. 80ED + Nikon D300, four frames stacked.

post-6159-0-53630100-1443394714.jpg

Very nice Michael, you should do more Luna imaging, and now you have a new camera all the more reason

Archived