Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your travel kit

1 minute ago, Pig said:

It’s pretty cute I have to say ? and Quark aside the whole setup is quite cheap for what you get.

Shame the Quark is a different shade of burnt orange. 

Im knit picking. 

If i ever get to go abroad again, i'm thinking my new Bresser ar102 xs/Az5 mount and tripod combo will be a good travel buddy.

This is my set up for the holiday's.

The Pentax 20 X 60, useless without it's tripod.

I like the 20 X gives my just enough magnification to see the ring of Saturn. It's small but it's there.

It has given many passersby on holiday there first glimpse at Saturn, Always great reactions.

132039868_statiefpentaxklein.thumb.jpg.4ee05465a10ba2a1bb6279fc34b48b20.jpg1941989280_pentaxopstatiefklein.thumb.jpg.66fd4210106d072f06d87628711a9340.jpg

• Like 4

This is my Tele Vue Ranger ED 70mm on the Universal Astronomics Dwarfstar Mount fitted to the Slik Master Classic tripod. Bit of a mouthful of titles for a compact setup but there you go ! :smiley:

Total weight as you see it is 4.25kg / 9 lbs 5 oz. I tried a carbon tripod with the scope and mount recently but the stability dropped markedly for a weight saving of around 400g so I went back to the Slik Master, which is pretty stable up to 150x. Probably about as portable a setup as I'm going to be able to put together.

r70dstar01.JPG

r70dstar02.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John said:

This is my Tele Vue Ranger ED 70mm on the Universal Astronomics Dwarfstar Mount fitted to the Slik Master Classic tripod. Bit of a mouthful of titles for a compact setup but there you go !

I notice you operate with the central column of the tripod extended John. Can you lock it down when extended? Reason I ask is that other tripods I've used where the central column extends, it lacks stability when extended - the central column is definitely the weak link. However, the central column of your tripod is geared and looks more robust than most....

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I notice you operate with the central column of the tripod extended John. Can you lock it down when extended? Reason I ask is that other tripods I've used where the central column extends, it lacks stability when extended - the central column is definitely the weak link. However, the central column of your tripod is geared and looks more robust than most....

I can lock the central column down Jeremy. I had it up when the photo was taken because I was observing the moon while standing. The Slik Master Classic is a pretty robust tripod all round I have to say but I agree that having the central column up increases the vibrations experienced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Reviving a dead but excellent thread (sorry mods hope that's okay!) as I've started to build out a travel/ultra portable kit. Inspiration from various places including a number of SGL threads, and whilst it's not a final setup (scope will be a TS 70ED, eyepiece setup will be different) I think it will look something like this:

20210424_194109.thumb.jpg.c24bca639b734366e33fc1e1dcc2e7ef.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the kit! 

Added a TS Optics AZT6 and carbon fibre tripod. The AZT6 fits in one of the spaces inside the main bag, and the tripod will go into hold luggage for flights or strapped to the bag for on foot. 

20210506_125553.thumb.jpg.8917274b81c2dd23774c5e461db6c123.jpg20210506_181439.thumb.jpg.3a317a5b818f7ce9b1b8352f84be8aed.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I think the kit is now complete! 

TS Optics 70ED order was cancelled in the end and replaced with a WO Zenithstar 73 III. Picked up some bolt cases to finish the job, and here we are! Comes in at just about 10kg with with tech in the bag (tablet etc) but there's also a AZT6 (middle, top) as well as the AZ-GTi so I will probably not take both which saves at least 1kg.

20210605_150827.thumb.jpg.3ac300696630578d93692742490275d8.jpg

• Like 2