SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your travel kit

I have a caravan and space is at a premium so I bought this little Meade 80mm triplet apo for this purpose.  Since paid more for the focuser and rings but what can I say, it's worth it.

In the box is squeezed a Lunt wedge and filters,  solar and two optical finders, a 2" diagonal,  Oiii and UHC filters plus 24mm, 15mm Panoptics plus Barlow element and a Nagler 6-3mm zoom.  Along with my Giro iii this gives me a few options for quick sessions.  Let's see other solutions :0)

20160203_232011.jpg

• Like 16

Nice compact kit there Shane :icon_biggrin:

The odd thing is, apart from when I'm coming to the SGL Star parties, I don't take astro kit when I'm on holiday, apart from birding binoculars :icon_scratch:

Perhaps I need a break from the hobby from time to time, or at least my other half does !

• Like 1

Nice compact solution. I put together the solution shown here, which lives in my boot, together with my tripod mount and gets used more than the big scopes for visual. Very pleased with it and is also ready to carry on to a plane.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RobertI said:

Nice compact solution. I put together the solution shown here, which lives in my boot, together with my tripod mount and gets used more than the big scopes for visual. Very pleased with it and is also ready to carry on to a plane.

Very nice Robert, might have to invest in one of those!

EDIT Just measured my Tak FC-100D and with the dewshield and focuser removed it is 47cm long! would fit in there to head abroad with me!

• Like 1

My travel set up is the TS 80 f7.5 refractor on the AZ4 mount and a little wooden box with a few plossl`s, very simple but effective, i hope to go to Usha gap at Muker maybe at easter and this will be tagging along, VERY dark slies there, might see if i can do some pics at weekend

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Very nice! I doubt I will be taking mine overseas much for the same reasons as John.

I have never had a problem on a dozen or so trips. I have only been asked twice about it.  On one occasion I was asked was it was and were satisfied with telescope, on the other occasion a security man wanted my observing list...

On 4 February 2016 at 09:57, Stu said:

Very nice Robert, might have to invest in one of those!

EDIT Just measured my Tak FC-100D and with the dewshield and focuser removed it is 47cm long! would fit in there to head abroad with me!

Let  us know if you get one Stu and how you get on. Obviously your Tak will be a bit wider than my 72mm frac but all the compartments are squashy so should fit in fine. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Let  us know if you get one Stu and how you get on. Obviously your Tak will be a bit wider than my 72mm frac but all the compartments are squashy so should fit in fine. :)

Will do. My Burgess Optical 91mm will definitely fit no problem. BTW I was looking at the 500, which is a bit bigger.

• Like 1

For travel abroad I'm using an 80mm Equinox (with photo tripod and mini giro - pictured), with 2 eyepieces (Leica zoom, Panoptic 24mm from pictured case) and Baader VIP Barlow, which gives range of 20x to 111x. If conditions are particularly promising, I can add the Nagler 3-6mm, which pushes magnification up to 166x. 

In terms of simplicity as a travel scope, the Meade ETX 105 takes some beating. Meade ripped off Questar's 50-year old design with the ETX, but it's still the easiest and most flexible format for grab and go. Whole scope and accessories pack into cabin baggage on aircraft. Just need a zoom and the nearest table top. 105's optics still unbeatable for lunar and planetary. Just as long as you're not expecting to study diffuse nebulae.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 14