SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your travel kit

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Now you just need the Lightweight Feathertouch for it Jeremy ;)

Good point Stu - especially for weight. But I seem to be one of the few that is happy with Tak focusuers.

I am looking forward to the arrival of the Vixen HR 3.4 mm, though!

• Like 1

I just really enjoy the fine focus on the FTs. The LW version is even more expensive though, ironically for less material. You pay for the additional machining to reduce the weight. It’s a nice to have not an essential (the LW I mean)

I hadn't spotted this thread before. I'll edit for a pic tonight, but my travel kit comprises:

• Berlebach Report 112
  • TS AZ travel mount head
  • ST80 or Mak 102 (depending on whether the trip is for DSOs or planets)
  • ES 24/68, SW 9.4/82, ES 6.7/82

Shown here with my astronomy dog (not part of travel kit).

IMG_20180611_193512228.jpg

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

On 24/05/2018 at 13:33, JG777 said:

That's interesting, looks like a fair bit of weight there with your NV kit. Have you sourced a longer dovetail yet? Will be interested to see some pics when you do. One other thing that slightly helped was locating the RDF further forward onto the clamp ring, might not seem much but all the grams add up!

JG777/Gavin, 

Is your scope the 4" or the 90mm TS Photoline? And how easy is it to package up in cabin bags? Very nice looking telescope.

29 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

JG777/Gavin, 

Is your scope the 4" or the 90mm TS Photoline? And how easy is it to package up in cabin bags? Very nice looking telescope.

Mark, 

These are 72mm F6 TS Apos. Very easy for aircraft cabin travel. Possibly the 90 you refer to might be as well, obviously slightly heavier and longer so might depend on your bag and or airline. 

Performance wise very pleased, the rack and pinion focuser is really well engineered so much nicer than the SW Crayfords! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Very neat, how is it on the manfrotto ball head? 

Thank you it has a quick real easy dovetail type connection. It fits any 1/4” thread, I am using it on my projector at the moment. I can take an image if you need to see it ?

42 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Mark, 

These are 72mm F6 TS Apos. Very easy for aircraft cabin travel. Possibly the 90 you refer to might be as well, obviously slightly heavier and longer so might depend on your bag and or airline. 

Performance wise very pleased, the rack and pinion focuser is really well engineered so much nicer than the SW Crayfords! 

Oh - got that completely wrong! Very nice looking scopes though and perfect for travel 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pig said:

Thank you it has a quick real easy dovetail type connection. It fits any 1/4” thread, I am using it on my projector at the moment. I can take an image if you need to see it ?

Yes please do when you have a moment, I do have one of those ball heads but hadn't considered before mounting a scope on it, how is the movement and damping? 

6 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Oh - got that completely wrong! Very nice looking scopes though and perfect for travel 

They do seem to look bigger in the pics than real life, it packs down to 31.5cm retracted and just a little over 2 kilos. Very good travel scope. 

8 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Yes please do when you have a moment, I do have one of those ball heads but hadn't considered before mounting a scope on it, how is the movement and damping? 

The scope is very light indeed and as long as it isn’t over loaded on the rear it is quite a breeze to use. It is surprisingly manoeuvreable for tracking purposes and can also be tightened so that it stays in place.

1 minute ago, AdeKing said:

I thought it looked like my WO ZS66SD only in a lovely orange colour.

Mine is in blue, that is now slightly faded.

They are quaint little things, nice colours ?

1 minute ago, Pig said:

They are quaint little things, nice colours ?

Yes they are, mine has the Aluminium case and I've squeezed a WL solar, night time and terrestrial setup in there based around the Lunt 7.1-21.5mm zoom.

I just need to persuade the fine focus to work properly, something I've failed to do so far.

21 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I honestly think that's the sexiest scope ive ever seen.

It’s pretty cute I have to say ? and Quark aside the whole setup is quite cheap for what you get.

Edited by Pig