Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Desert island scopes!

Knighty2112

What if you were suddenly stranded on a desert island and could only use one item out of all your equipment, be it a telescope, binoculars or even just a camera I guess! Of course, been a dessert island there would be no light polution to worry about (apart from your campfire to cook and keep warm with obviously), so in this idylic astronomical setting what would you chose?

Cue music please! <desert island discs music starts to play>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xMMS4I6f7o4

For me, as much as I love all my current range of telescopes from my 70mm refractors all the way up to my 120mm refractor, plus my 130mm Newtonian scope, it would have to be my 15 X 70 binoculars. With those I could patrol up and down the Milky Way and drinking up all those glorious sights through both barrels! :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it would surprisingly be my 100mm tal frac. The cunning reasoning being that it forms a pst mod for ha solar but if I remove the filters it's a great white light scope with a lunt wedge and also not too shabby at night either. Eyepieces would be 26mm nagler, 17.3 mm delos and 6-3mm nagler zoom

You are a cruel cruel man. Only three eyepieces!!!

My ED 80 could do both solar and night work. And make a reasonable fist of hide based birding.

But, I'd always be wondering what those extra inches would show. So it would have to be the 10" Dob with Delos 8 + 17.3mm and ES 82° 24mm (plus a handful of filters and a gourmet spotting scope as the finder).

Bet it would be cloudy.....

Paul

You are a cruel cruel man. Only three eyepieces!!!

My ED 80 could do both solar and night work. And make a reasonable fist of hide based birding.

But, I'd always be wondering what those extra inches would show. So it would have to be the 10" Dob with Delos 8 + 17.3mm and ES 82° 24mm (plus a handful of filters and a gourmet spotting scope as the finder).

Bet it would be cloudy.....

Paul

Sorry! Mwahahahahaha! ;)

My ST80 with 6mm,16mm and 32mm with erect image diagonal. Reasoning cheap enough to drop in the drink or sand light enough to take anywhere and heavy enough to club a ferocious crocodile and capable to scan the horizon with.

Good thinking! I never thought of crocs! Yikes! Maybe it's not so idylic after all! ;)

Part of survival planning a long time ago.  :grin:

Along with mask, fins, snorkel, pole spear and a fire starter, this would suit me just fine.......

Edit: Cue this music please.......  www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqutCrolEbY  Ahhh,  Paradise !

Yep! Looks like you're ready and packed for castaway already. Oh! If you run into Tom Hanks tell him to give me my ball back will you? ;)

Archived