NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Desert island scopes!

Knighty2112

I'd be happy with my 4" Tak, bino viewer with 16.8mm orthos and 20mm Pentax XW. Of course I'd also like to smuggle my 10, 7, 5 and 3.5XWs. I wouldn't want any silly mirrors that are going to get spoiled by the salty sea air as there's no aluminising service.

Mike

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the temptation for something suitably exotic, I'd have to take my Tal1. I figure that anything taken onto a desert island should have at least one alternative purpose. The Tal pier would serve as a near hurricane proof centre pole support for a shelter. The Tal OTA could be used to fend off any unwanted attentions from creatures with hostile intent - and I doubt if the collimation would be much affected. I've wondered whether the finder could be used to start a fire as per childhood "experiments" using the sun through a  magnifying glass, and no I'm not going to try it.

My concession to a little luxury would be  three TV Plossls (32, 15 & 8mm ?) which should  work well with the Tal. 

"The tool", intensifier and a few lenses and filters.... Hand luggage, even enough space to pack a few beers, camera, clothes, sun cream etc. Better make it around new moon time, or it'd not be worth the trip!

Cheers

Peter

Archived