Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eagle Nebula (M16) - modded DSLR

glowingturnip

Here's my latest, hope you like it !

21384632989_9bdb66ab32_c.jpg

21384668939_88877aba87_c.jpg

17x 300s lights at ISO1600, darks, flats and bias, equipment as per sig, modded DSLR at prime focus, Pixinsight processing.

I actually took this back in July, but had a frustrating gap in processing when my laptop broke and had to be sent to Germany for repair - I had all the raw files backed up, but not the interim processed files nor the calibration files.  There's a bit of coma still showing on this, but I think I've managed to get my spacings right now for some later runs still in my processing queue.

The Eagle Nebula (M16, NGC 6611) is a young open cluster of stars in the constellation Serpens. Its name derives from its shape that is thought to resemble an eagle. It contains several active star-forming gas and dust regions, including the famous "Pillars of Creation", photographed by the Hubble Space Telescope (and by me).

The Eagle Nebula is part of a diffuse emission nebula, or H II region, which is catalogued as IC 4703. This region of active current star formation is about 7000 light-years distant. A spire of gas that can be seen coming off the nebula in the northeastern part is approximately 9.5 light-years or about 90 trillion kilometers long.

The cluster associated with the nebula has approximately 460 stars, the brightest of spectral class O, a mass of roughly 80 solar masses, and a luminosity up to 1 million times that of the Sun. Its age has been estimated to be 1–2 million years.

C & CC welcome, hope you enjoy !

Archived