NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flashing Star? one for the experts

During a lot of recent timelapsing I noticed something odd in one image. Where there wasn't a star a 'star' appeared and then disappeared i.e. the first 30 second exposure didn't have a star, the 2nd exposure did and the third one didn't ???

Any thoughts because it stumped me, it doesn't appear when I use Novametry to check the area so I'm lost.

The 1st 30 second image

MG_7790.jpg

The 2nd exposure

MG_7791.jpg

and the third one

MG_7792.jpg

with the Novemetry result below

novamap.jpg

ok my second camera also pick it up as a pin point so that knocks the 'last part of a meteor' theory because the two cameras wouldn't be that synchronised.

Looking closer at the 'star' there is no trailing on it like the adjacent stars so maybe the pinpoint meteor theory is good?

LRT_00142.jpg

Yes I'd go with a satellite or piece of space junk just catching the sun for a moment, it happens all the time and normally you don't notice. I collect data from my AllSky camera every clear night and I've got so used to seeing these things (and weirder ones!), I particularly like to see the rapidly tumbling satellites as they cross the sky.

ChrisH

Kevin, I recon its a slow moving satellite/space junk too, Ive witnessed somthing similar a few years back and watched through binos as a satellite moved extreamly slowly across the field of view while brightning and dimming. The movement was just detectable in the binos,  Ive never see anything like it since.  Can you overlap the images to see any movement ? I suspect I can see some.

I do like a mystery

Mark

Can you overlap the images to see any movement ?

That's a good point.  

It could be space junk or a satelitte that is rotating and parts of it are more reflective of the Sun than others.

Reading this thread reminds me of Trigger in Only Fools and Horses looking at a star through the window.  There it is.....it's gone again........there it is again..... etc

Carole  

I'd say reflection from a geostationary satellite too. They orbit above the equator, and when viewed from the UK appear a few degrees south of the celestial equator due to parallax. That looks pretty good for your object.

Archived