NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Persieds peak-Not looking good for NW Norfolk

baggywrinkle

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sky's cleared, but only to reveal typical horrendous clag, NELM about 2.5 I should think. I hate London, anything in the air turns our bad LP into something beyond words. Still, we've some torrential rain and maybe thunderstorms to come, let's hope they wash some of this junk out of the air.

I've just brought my computer stuff in without having set it up, and the mount is now covered again.

Here in north east Essex it has cleared (I use the term loosely) whilst setting up the dslr on eq mount I saw a meteor go from approx NE>E below Cygnus, the meteor was bright and left a "smoke" trail visable for a few seconds. Fingers crossed for the imaging run

It's cloudless here right now but the sky is bright with light pollution.

Just been out to watch a low pass of ISS and spotted my first Perseid of this season.

That brings my life long total of Perseids to about 5 :D

Never really embraced the Perseid's. Give me the Gemenids any day (or night!)

The sky's cleared, but only to reveal typical horrendous clag, NELM about 2.5 I should think. I hate London, anything in the air turns our bad LP into something beyond words. Still, we've some torrential rain and maybe thunderstorms to come, let's hope they wash some of this junk out of the air.

I've just brought my computer stuff in without having set it up, and the mount is now covered again.

You just missed a brilliant one across Ursa Major at 10.15 then Dave, visible through any amount of clag. :)

Dave

I went out for around 30 mins around 11:00 pm and saw 7 meteors in that period. A couple of real bight ones, leaving ionised trails up through Cassiopieia. By previous years standards thats a lot !

I went out again and managed to see about 6 I think, including one humdinger of a fireball through the gap between Cygnus and Lyra, roughly parallel to Cygnus, left a huge trail behind it, and shortly after another about half as bright. I also saw one or perhaps two Iridium flares, so not quite the write off I thought. NELM was better then my first estimate, I would say 3.5, still mediocre, even by London standards. 

Well first meteor viewing session regarded a success. Saw easily 20 or so between 1130 and just now(not bad for a backyard viewing. Only have nw to ne views). Was a crazy bright one around midnight heading due north from the just below the cassiopeia area. Looked firey red in colour

Noticed one other thing. Backyard isn't as light piled as I thought even with a security floodlight shining into it. Could see andromeda m31 very faint with direct viewing and also saw something below the W of cassiopeia looked like a bright spot of the milky way. Turns out it was the double cluster, never seen it before tonight. Could also make out the milky way from about 40o + not entirely clearly but a definite lighter river winding through the dark sky. Great night, hope the rest of you enjoy the rest of it

Gnite

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I went out a few times for about 15 min, the last session being about 01:45.

I saw one or two each time but I've concluded that my current vari-focal glasses are the worst ever for stargazing and particularly meteor spotting. I wasn't happy with them for normal use initially and took them back twice :(

Perhaps I'll invest in a cheap pair of single vision glasses.

I went to my local ish dark site last night between 10.30 and 12.30.

There was a group of 4 or 5 others sat in chairs looking up so I joined them. Safety in numbers!

Milky Way so clear, but the lightning could be seen far off to the south.

I set up the camera and took a few general MW shots, then set up for a timelapse.

Probably got about 6 seconds of TL video that I'll sort out tonight and share.

I probably saw 20 or so of various brightness, here's hoping I caught some on camera.

Very clear until about half 12 so I packed up and went home to bed.

Pretty lovely in north Essex to be honest. Managed to stay up to about 1 as it cleared completely by 11.30. Lost count of the meteors, but only a handful of really big ones. All in all a lovely evening, and thankfully, one that defied the meteorologists.

Was a crazy bright one around midnight heading due north from the just below the cassiopeia area. Looked firey red in colour

Gnite

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yes, I think I caught that one. Have it on the PD1 video camera. It left a nice train, will post it up later.  :smiley: I managed to see three nice, quite slow, ones and a dozen others. There seemed to be a little increase in activity at 00:20 that lasted about five minuets. 

I went out a few times for about 15 min, the last session being about 01:45.

I saw one or two each time but I've concluded that my current vari-focal glasses are the worst ever for stargazing and particularly meteor spotting. I wasn't happy with them for normal use initially and took them back twice :(

Perhaps I'll invest in a cheap pair of single vision glasses.

When I had my last pair of varifocals I had the optician make up a pair of cheap 'n' cheerful distance glasses for me, for low power eyepiece work and for general sky gazing. I seem to have mislaid them so the next time I have new glasses I'll get another pair made.

I came in early last night as the sky was rubbish, even for London and I was getting cold. So I asked myself, is it worth getting more layers and something to lie on, for a not very spectacular show? Or turn in. So I turned in.

Only two for me last night til 1am-ish - a lovely long *bright* one heading WSW sailing past Vega, and a short less-bright splash just E of Deneb. The first made my night - just as well as high fog rolled in a bit later.

Still, a fun time with my 7×35s between times.

Must get better cushions tho - ground was *hard!*

Went out about 11:30 stood round looking at Cassiopeia and Perseus for an hour and a half.

Nothing, a complete absence of anything majestically cutting through our atmosphere.

Then the clouds arrived, thats when I gave up.

Did find out that the mad red light torch was good, on the narrow beam it illuminated trees half a mile away :eek: , on the wider setting I kept seeing pairs of eyes looking at me from the distance :eek: :eek: . Sure the Cambridgeshire creeping banshee's were somewhere close in the field next to me at one time. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Is there supposed to be a sort of secondary peak ??

Only two for me last night til 1am-ish - a lovely long *bright* one heading WSW sailing past Vega, and a short less-bright splash just E of Deneb. The first made my night - just as well as high fog rolled in a bit later.

Still, a fun time with my 7×35s between times.

Must get better cushions tho - ground was *hard!*

I think I might have seen both those, for me the very bright one headed roughly parallel to the line of Cygnus running between Cygnus and Lyra.

I think I might have seen both those, for me the very bright one headed roughly parallel to the line of Cygnus running between Cygnus and Lyra.

It was a *beauty* wasn't it :)

I'll be sad not to see any more given the cloud forecast, but that one Perseid will keep me happy for quite awhile.

Archived